Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i need to replace the studs in my wifes 99 formula 500. they look to be a t nut design stud is threaded then a backing plate then a what i would call t nut on inside of track that stud threads into & pulls nut into track. VERY rusted as you can imagine. im thinking im going to have to use cutoff wheel on them any advice would be appreciated?

·
Administrator - East Coast Tony
900T XRS
55,254 Posts
That'd be my choice.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I used a torch and heated the nut until the nylon melts out the top of it and then they normally came off fairly easily.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Have had great luck using a bolt cutters to remove studs that were never coming unthreaded.

Had 144 bent, galled, smashed, etc studs outta there in under an hour.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Best tool is probably going to be the cutoff wheel or a grinding wheel on a 4.5” angle grinder. I tried the nut splitter, multiple bolt cutter, heat from a torch, and liquid wrench. The torch was too hot, I was afraid I was going to destroy the track, bolt cutters and nut splitter wouldn’t fit in between the lugs on a 2.52” pitch track.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Get as many out as you can with wrenches. Then go to the die grinder for the rest.
ive tried about 15 thrus out track & have no luck getting any to even pretend to loosen up. thats after applying pentr. oil on them & letting it soak in for a day so im thinking its a cut off wheel for me. BOOOOOOO!! lol

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not to hijack the thread but im having this same problem on my track except its a 1.75 inch lug so i cant cut the studs with a grinder without hitting the lugs. Anyone tried drilling them out from the back?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts