Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
So I am led to believe the Backcountry has a slightly rolled chancase to accommodate for the potentially taller lugs. I am contemplating studding a 1.75" hurricane with a double every row.
I am curious as to what I would need for tunnel protection. Other models have multiple options.
Is this possible or even remotely unsafe or is there a lot of room in there compared to shorter models and I have nothing to worry about?
Who else has studded something with a big lug in this chassis?
What are people's thoughts on studding the stock single ply 1.6 Cobra with a double every row?
I am a trail guy specifically, I have only ever owned trail sleds/tracks. I bought this sled because I find myself out breaking trail through the mountains of Vermont in 1-3 foot of powder many times a season. Some planned some not planned during a backpack trip. I'll find myself doing more off trail with this sled for sure but it's hard to go without some sort of traction where I ride. Just curious what route I should go.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
593 Posts
I bought a used backcountry 2018 with 1.75 studs in a 1.6 cobra. Rode for a while then checked out the clearance. Come to find out it had 3000 miles of use and no tunnel protectors. Not a scratch in the tunnel either. So plenty of room on the backcountrys.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought a used backcountry 2018 with 1.75 studs in a 1.6 cobra. Rode for a while then checked out the clearance. Come to find out it had 3000 miles of use and no tunnel protectors. Not a scratch in the tunnel either. So plenty of room on the backcountrys.
Didn't ur studs tear out?

·
Registered
118 Posts
On my 18 and 19 Freeride 146s I ran a 1.75" lug with 150 of Woody's 1860 snowcross studs with the following protection, and had no issues through over 3000 miles.

-Front Protector - 518329982 (uses 3pcs 3/16 pop rivets 293150108)

-Tunnel Protector - 860201693 (uses 2pcs 3/16 pop rivets 293150108)*

*There are also a few small torx screws that hold the tunnel protector pieces together, that I BELIEVE come with the kit, but my dealer may have thrown them in with it for me. So double check hardware inclusion with your dealer.

Since you are installing the first set on the sled, you do not need to remove the fuel tank and such like the included instructions say. That is to prevent puncture while drilling out the old protector during replacement (not your case). Simply drop the skid, remove the drivers, rivet in place, and reassemble. I've heard of some people getting the job done without removing skid/drivers, but I find it an extremely tight fit to get a rivet gun in with such little clearance, and is less of a pain to just take it all out.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On my 18 and 19 Freeride 146s I ran a 1.75" lug with 150 of Woody's 1860 snowcross studs with the following protection, and had no issues through over 3000 miles.

-Front Protector - 518329982 (uses 3pcs 3/16 pop rivets 293150108)

-Tunnel Protector - 860201693 (uses 2pcs 3/16 pop rivets 293150108)*

*There are also a few small torx screws that hold the tunnel protector pieces together, that I BELIEVE come with the kit, but my dealer may have thrown them in with it for me. So double check hardware inclusion with your dealer.

Since you are installing the first set on the sled, you do not need to remove the fuel tank and such like the included instructions say. That is to prevent puncture while drilling out the old protector during replacement (not your case). Simply drop the skid, remove the drivers, rivet in place, and reassemble. I've heard of some people getting the job done without removing skid/drivers, but I find it an extremely tight fit to get a rivet gun in with such little clearance, and is less of a pain to just take it all out.
Are the Backcountry and Freeride ergonomics identical?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts