Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to study the track on my new (to me) 2020 Skandic WT. I ordered tunnel protectors thinking it was an easy install but it doesn't look so easy anymore. The instructions talk about removing the suspension, track, and driveshaft in order to install the aluminum rails that hold the protectors. My manual refers to the chaincase, but not the gearbox so I assume there are some mistakes in the manual from adapting it from other models.

Question1: Do I need to open the gearbox to get the driveshaft out or is it just sitting in a socket and held in on the caliper side?

Question 2: I am just using screw-in lug style studs. If I only do 2 per lug on the outside of the track it looks like it will stay clear of the cooler. Do I actually need the tunner protectors?

I am excited to get out and give this machine a run. Heading out to start building a cargo box for it now!

Subarcticguy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I went through the same exercise as you last year. I decided on Kold Kutter 1" screws on my '16 Skandic w/o tunnel protectors. Only used the pre placed holes. Ran it all winter. No issues.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just picked up my Expedition Sport 600efi. Have a set of 32 mm iGrip studs ready to install…
Dealer says no tunnel protectors available for this machine, mechanic says it doesn’t need tunnel protectors for the iGrip studs. Sled came with a protector at the front of the track, looks about a foot long. Planning not to install studs immediately under the heat exchangers.
Any suggestions? Has anyone had issues with iGrips coming out at high speed?

·
Registered
2021 Expedition Xtreme 850 Etec
2,668 Posts
All my concrete screws miss the exchangers and don't make any marks under the tunnel. Going on second season with zero wear and no chance of them coming out. I put 2 uhmw strips in the last sled after removing the seat and tank, loaded the track up with over 200 screws, and the track never touched the protector strips.

Reactions: _Jack

·
Registered
2014 Skandic WT 2016 MXZ 600 Ace
300 Posts
I have an earlier version, 2014 WT Skandic. Installed the 32mm igrip studs on just the outside molded holes, outside of the coolant passages. So if any contact is made, there won't be a leak. But the newer sleds have a wider area that can leak, so, treat this as FYI.

I have 1.2" lugs and ran the studs so just the carbide points were above the rubber. Put in slightly more than 200 studs. They worked great. I did a flash light inspection and didn't see any contact this summer. All were there. Installed them dry.

My MXZ is fully studded, no complaints on ether one. Mainly trail riding but frequent patches of ice.

·
Registered
2014 Skandic WT 2016 MXZ 600 Ace
300 Posts
Uno. FYI A buddy has a brand new 2022 WT Skandic. NOT 2020!! The 2022 is a G4 and almost certain the 2020 is a XU sled.

He ordered tunnel protectors from his dealership and was mailed a kit that was "wrong". We went to the show, showed the BRP rep the pictures and the rep said, nope, wrong kit, send it back.... The wrong one was a kit with long metal strips and separate plastic bars. The correct BRP tunnel protector cost him about $70 USD and only took a few minutes to install. Did not have to remove the track or the tank. Easy. Have no idea if the 2020 and the 2022 can use the same protectors. His is a G4 frame, not the older XU.

He is still only putting the igrip studs on the outside of each lug. Going to see how it does before he adds the rest of the 115 studs he purchased.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I installed iGrips in my 154” x16” 1.5” Charger predrilled track,
Engineering Motor vehicle Auto part Vehicle Machine

not studding where tunnel protectors would run. I picked up a tunnel protector today but it looks too short, only covering the rear of the tunnel. About 13” gap of no coverage between front of the strips and the pre-installed front center protector. There is a lot of clearance and the mechanic at the dealer says I don’t need protectors, but… Setting my new Expedition Sport up as a long-term machine. This tunnel protector goes on in several minutes, haven’t installed the two rivets in case i decide to return it. Thoughts?
Does the track actually kick up that high at the rear?
Will the centre of the 154” track balloon up high in the middle on a low power 600efi?

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
The problem is there are different scenarios of the track encroaching the cooler. What if the track gets loose for some reason and you spin it while it is off the ground? What if you get a bunch of snow caked up in the skid and it pushes the track up? What if the track breaks and it flies up into the cooler etc etc.

The rear has actually been the part that hit first for me, the front half has aways been less of a problem. I would just put the protectors in and then you won't have to worry about it or arrange the studs so they won't hit anything vital.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I installed iGrips in my 154” x16” 1.5” Charger predrilled track, View attachment 1980127
not studding where tunnel protectors would run. I picked up a tunnel protector today but it looks too short, only covering the rear of the tunnel. About 13” gap of no coverage between front of the strips and the pre-installed front center protector. There is a lot of clearance and the mechanic at the dealer says I don’t need protectors, but… Setting my new Expedition Sport up as a long-term machine. This tunnel protector goes on in several minutes, haven’t installed the two rivets in case i decide to return it. Thoughts?
Does the track actually kick up that high at the rear?
Will the centre of the 154” track balloon up high in the middle on a low power 600efi?
What length igrips are those? I have a 2022 extreme coming and wanted 1-1/2" igrip style, but can't seem to find anything over 1". My father had 1-1/2" installed in his Skandic WT a couple of years ago. But can't recall where the dealer sourced them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I used the SS 32r. I ordered online from Royal Distributing. These are recommended for a 1 1/2” track. You can also order online from iGrip, and they just had a 10% Black Friday sale going. They also give a discount when you order, a 5% new customer incentive. Here’s a screenshot from the iGrip website.
Font Line Parallel Engineering Schematic

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Excellent, I appreciate the info. I think this should work, I have the 1.8" track.
Mine are 3/4" and they work fine. IDK why anyone would want 1 1/2" of threads.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I believe the ones posted above have 15/16" of thread and 9/32 showing, the overall length I was looking for originally was 1-1/2", but I think the ss-32R's will do the trick.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts