Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm new to this forum. So please forgive me if I am in the wrong spot. I just picked up an 1987 Stratos 503 and I would really like to put reverse in it. I know that the Stratos did not come with reverse, but could someone please tell me what models might work to do this conversion. I would really appreciate your help. I'm new, but i'm learnin. Thanks

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
I don't have all the details on this - but since nobody else responded I will help you out the best I can. The sister sled to these was the Escapade which was a longer track 2 up version of the Stratos/Voyager. Some of the Escapades came with reverse but not certain if it was standard. I have read that if you don't get the parts from an 87 you may have to change the drive axle as well.(getting into a big job depending on your abilities) . Ideally you will want parts from the same year and make sure the reverse is functional as parts may be hard to find. Some of the Safari/Cheyenne may work also.

You may want to be sure that you really like the machine before going to this trouble - perhaps you would just want to upgrade the sled in a year or 2 with something that already has reverse.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
I don't have all the details on this - but since nobody else responded I will help you out the best I can. The sister sled to these was the Escapade which was a longer track 2 up version of the Stratos/Voyager. Some of the Escapades came with reverse but not certain if it was standard. I have read that if you don't get the parts from an 87 you may have to change the drive axle as well.(getting into a big job depending on your abilities) . Ideally you will want parts from the same year and make sure the reverse is functional as parts may be hard to find. Some of the Safari/Cheyenne may work also.
You are right,'89 Escapade had reverse as std .Its the same a Cheyenne .But Cheyenne had two different gearbox,you need the one with the "big round cover" at the bottom.And yes,drive axle is of different length with reverse.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I was not aware that they made an Escapade in 89. I think I know what I am looking at now. Maybe better to leave the reverse idea on the shelf until I get to know the sled better. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry

I should have asked this question in my first post. Can any one tell me what type of frame I have. I see all kinds of numers used as applications for parts.

Unfortunately, I don't know what number my 1987 Stratos has. Is it PRS

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Sorry

I should have asked this question in my first post. Can any one tell me what type of frame I have. I see all kinds of numers used as applications for parts.

Unfortunately, I don't know what number my 1987 Stratos has. Is it PRS
Dont remember any specific name for this type of frame.Ist not PRS suspension,was a no name i believe.PRS are usd on Formula series like Mach,MX,Plus models.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts