Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got stranded today with gauge reading a bit below 1/4 tank. Last tank i put 125 miles on it with some left. This time I ran out at 100 mile marker. Thing sputtered for 1 mile and engine light flashed. I thought something else was wrong because it read i had fuel. Walked 4 miles to house got jerry can and came back to sled to fill it up. started it and it ran fine. When I got home i took a hammer and a punch and busted the glass and the gauge. I m fed up of that %$#& thing. not only that when you are riding only way to get accurate reading is to shut machine off for 10 minutes and lift back end. Thats BULL$%#& . I wonder what i can put in for a replacement now. I doubt warranty will cover this.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
My gauge doesnt go below 1/4. Once its there it doesnt go any lower. You must be WOT most of the time running out at 100 miles. Lots of powder or out on a lake or long Canadian straight trails will do it every time. I ran my 04 out at 89 miles once in Quebec. WOT

·
Registered
433 Posts
Still laughing.. I think you should get more than 100 miles though to a tank. Are you sure the tank pickup is not the problem? They had issues with it in previous years.

All the REV gauges I've had read the first 6.5 gals from F -> E. Then you have another 3.5 gals left after that. That's why I suspect the fuel pickup.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My 06 Regegase SDI will only use 8.25 gallons of its 10.5 capacity.
If I burp the tank, I can get a few more liters in it, for a total of 9 usable gallons MAXIMUM.

I proved this this by siphoning it empty and then running it in the garage until it ran out of gas, then filling it on a level surface.

Averaging 13MPG in Quebec (long term average over 4000 miles this season) I calculate 117 miles until empty.
And on the trail, I proved it by running out at 118 miles, 1/2 mile from the gas station. Luckily I had a full Doo Jerry can with me.

600SDI isn't a good choice if you running hard for long periods (Quebec has many WOT trails, you just can't ride WOT for 20-40 miles at a stretch in the US on trails). 1000SDI's and any 4-strokes would get better mileage than the 600SDI in those situations.

After having an 04 SDI and now an 06 SDI, I know the only purpose for the gauge is when filling, it gives you an idea of when the gas stations pump is about to click off, and you can prepare to jump on the back bumper to burp the air out from under the seat.

Just use the odometer once you figure out your "real" range.

·
Registered
645 Posts
brp doesnt know how to make a fuel gauge. they know how to make a wish gauge. ( i wish i knew how much f---ing fuel i have left). same thing yesterday in the torpy. buddies runs out of fuel but still shows 1/4 tank. my gauge is awesome though. it read about 1/3 at one time, then we parked and it was at 3/4. my sled makes fuel i guess! we throw the back jerrys in both our sleds and book out of dodge. make it about three kilos to the truck and there ya go. s==t, p==s, f--k. next time we are strapping another three gals on the tunnels. but other than that- awesome ride. blue blazer and about 5-10 below with 2-3 ft of fresh.

G

·
Renegade Scotty said:
actually i think maybe ill get the electrical gauge but mind you if you go by the 100 mile rule a guy should know when to fill up. My sled is lighter now that the gauge went for a ride.n (5 ounces)
[snapback]736052[/snapback]​
Yes doo so! the electric gauge is much better.I still have my mechanical gauge I can send it to you if you want to relieve any more stress!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Just got back from Fort Kent, I averaged 15 miles to the gallon...... I just fill up when the buddies with the non-sdi need to fill......

yup the gauge sux........ like everyone has said...... go by mileage

·
Devil Dog
1,848 Posts
Easy solution, Need clear gas tank. BRP needs to install them stock. That should be a spring order option clear tank or black. I know what I would take.

·
ITs WINTER!
7,497 Posts
mine will sit right on"E"for quite a while and still be running, im yet to run it out of gas but i would be nice to know that when it shows 1/8 on the gauge that its not actually half a tank in there....

I guess it would be pretty hard to make a gauge that functions 100% on a tank like ours. The thing is so long and flat that the difference between empty and 3/4 tank is only a couple inches in height. Then if the sled is parked at any sort of angle it reads way off because of the calibration of the gauge.

Solution, CLEAR TANK!

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've been very surprised (I've read all the complaints) but mine seems to be actually sort of accurate if the sled is sitting level.

Last weekend I filled up when the gauge showed 1/4, and guess what, it took 29 liters of fuel, almost exactly 3/4 of the tank's capacity of 40 liters. *%@?! Can these gauges be so different one from the other?

Anyone else have an accurate Rev fuel gauge, or is this a fluke?

·
Registered
45,484 Posts
If you read the manuals provided with your sleds it has a chart in there, and it tells how much fuel you have left when your gauge is at certain levels. If you do that and your gauge is reading from flat ground it is real close to being right. I wish I had it online to post...But I don't Sorry....

·
Doo Rider
3,170 Posts
electrical guage doesn't work worth a crap either. Sure it shows you full when the sled is full. But it quickly drops to half when you are around 3/4 or so, and when it shows under a 1/4 on the guage I actually have just over a 1/2 a tank. When its first on empty you really have over 1/4 tank. Just have to keep track of how much mileage, its the only way.

·
Registered
594 Posts
doo rider said:
electrical guage doesn't work worth a crap either. Sure it shows you full when the sled is full. But it quickly drops to half when you are around 3/4 or so, and when it shows under a 1/4 on the guage I actually have just over a 1/2 a tank. When its first on empty you really have over 1/4 tank. Just have to keep track of how much mileage, its the only way.
[snapback]736558[/snapback]​
I agree with that 100%. Not worth the money, just watch your mileage.

FishHog

·
Registered
176 Posts
|Renegade17| said:
Those guages do suck, was filling my tank of with jerry can and spilt some and the gas froze my guage ant full. Went full trip without any complications but had to stick it somewhere warm to thaw out.
[snapback]736223[/snapback]​
We just got a new 500SS and I was wondering how much the electric gauge costs from Ski-doo and how much dealer will typically charge to install? Or otherwise is it a gauge an average do-it-yourselfer could tackle installing himself?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.