Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I get a disturbing phone call from BRP. It looks like my snow checked SWT is one of 15 units destined to my dealer has been stolen while in transit to the dealership….

I was given the option by them to change my order to a wide track with a 600r etec instead or carry my certificate over onto a new machine when snow checks become open in March of next year…… rather disappointing to say the least….. BRP did offer another 500$ incentive however to add onto the new order. This doesn’t however help me for the 21/22 season where I could really use an SWT…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BRP stepped up.. The problem is be on there control. Sorry for your loss this year.
I agree. They were great. I already own 2 20” machines though and wanted an SWT for the fleet!

·
IKnowNothing
1,269 Posts
If you are pleasant, not rude, calm ( I know, difficult in a situation like this), i'm sure you can increase that compensation that has been offered, either to a hefty discount on a model for this year, or a better one on ordering new.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are pleasant, not rude, calm ( I know, difficult in a situation like this), i'm sure you can increase that compensation that has been offered, either to a hefty discount on a model for this year, or a better one on ordering new.
That’s exactly how I took it. I’m not destitute for a sled for this season. So we’ll let it ride (pun intended) and go from there. I’m sure not everyone else who’s been affected by this will be as fortunate as I am. It’s a first world problem really.

The dealer told me that these machines were shipped with missing computer components that were supposed to be installed later at the dealership and are essentially paperweights at the moment. Wonder what the thieves are going to think when they crack the crates and see that business. Lol

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Almost makes you wonder if it is true...Maybe another dealer somewhere else was offering way more $$ for the units.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I agree. They were great. I already own 2 20” machines though and wanted an SWT for the fleet!

Sorry to hear this, and good for you for being patient and understanding with your dealer. I totally agree with you, that's the best approach to take, this isn't their fault or yours, just a tough situation.

In any other year, they maybe would have mentioned that some sleds got stolen and would have had a replacement within days or weeks. Their approach demonstrates again that the sled shortage is real, BRP can't meet demand. Their actions with back-outs and this theft issue prove to me there aren't going to be many extra sleds sitting around and any that are will go for premium $$.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Man, that is some bad luck. Your sled is stolen before you even see it. At least it was stolen on Doo's dime and not yours.

Lots of guys on here know how long the wait is between spring ordering and delivery of their shiney new sled. I cannot even imagine having to wait over a year and a half instead of the normal 6 months . Good luck with that. LOL.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Stolen Snow Check machines are not a good situation. This is a pain for Takman but at least we have my SWT in the group and he has other 20" machines of his own.

This thread needs to be a warning to anyone looking for a 2022 Ski-Doo product this Fall though. If you find a deal where the seller "ordered two machines because he knew there was going to be a shortage" or "I ordered one for my girlfriend but we broke up" or "I ordered one to ride but now I have a health issue" or any other multitude of excuses why a new 2022 would be for sale on the used market, you need to proceed with extreme caution. It would suck, plunking down big dollars to get your dream machine only to find out it's stolen when you go to register it. Unless the thieves have a way of doctoring VIN#s or something, these machines are not going to be much use in the legitimate machine market.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Stolen Snow Check machines are not a good situation. This is a pain for Takman but at least we have my SWT in the group and he has other 20" machines of his own.

This thread needs to be a warning to anyone looking for a 2022 Ski-Doo product this Fall though. If you find a deal where the seller "ordered two machines because he knew there was going to be a shortage" or "I ordered one for my girlfriend but we broke up" or "I ordered one to ride but now I have a health issue" or any other multitude of excuses why a new 2022 would be for sale on the used market, you need to proceed with extreme caution. It would suck, plunking down big dollars to get your dream machine only to find out it's stolen when you go to register it. Unless the thieves have a way of doctoring VIN#s or something, these machines are not going to be much use in the legitimate machine market.
Or when you see a “new take off” seat, side panels, or ….

·
Registered
2019 Expedition Xtreme 850 Etec
2,638 Posts
At least it wasn't stolen from you, also they could very well find them and you still might get it. Look for crack in the glovebox though.......

·
Registered
74 Posts
Or when you see a “new take off” seat, side panels, or ….
My understanding is there is an extreme shortage of 900ACE engines. Four-stroke powered machines will likely fetch a significant premium as this season begins to ramp up.

I am curious if these machines will be sold whole for a premium in areas where legitimate registration is not a big deal. When was the last time you had the police look at your license and registration? Around here, if they see a set of vinyl numbers/letters that look legit, the police generally leave you alone. While we are somewhat rural here, there are areas that make this look like a big city so having a hot machine would have little risk.

My concern is for the newbie that buys a machine for cash and then finds out it is hot. In the age of Facebook Marketplace, it is not hard to create a fake persona online and then disappear once the deal is done.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My understanding is there is an extreme shortage of 900ACE engines. Four-stroke powered machines will likely fetch a significant premium as this season begins to ramp up.

I am curious if these machines will be sold whole for a premium in areas where legitimate registration is not a big deal. When was the last time you had the police look at your license and registration? Around here, if they see a set of vinyl numbers/letters that look legit, the police generally leave you alone. While we are somewhat rural here, there are areas that make this look like a big city so having a hot machine would have little risk.

My concern is for the newbie that buys a machine for cash and then finds out it is hot. In the age of Facebook Marketplace, it is not hard to create a fake persona online and then disappear once the deal is done.
I'm guessing that these stolen sleds were part of a well planned and executed black market deal to ship overseas to countries that need sleds but don't often abide by the rule of law or are under embargo. Think Russia, North Korea, China. I doubt they'll show up in the U.S. or Euro market.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A little more information. Talking with the dealership. It was 2 full trucks that have vanished. Dealer said 100 units destined for Fort Frances, Dryden, Red Lake, and Thunder Bay.

At this point as Doug said, I’m not destitute for a snowmobile this season. I have 3. The SWT was just going to compliment the fleet. As for having to wait for a 2022/23 season unit. I’m not too butt hurt about it. We’ll crack on and order another one in March 2022.

·
Registered
704 Posts
You also said

“The dealer told me that these machines were shipped with missing computer components that were supposed to be installed later at the dealership and are essentially paperweights at the moment. Wonder what the thieves are going to think when they crack the crates and see that business. Lol”

So I wouldn’t think they’d pop up too soon As complete units for sale.

·
Registered
Custom sleds
1,423 Posts
That's not what usually happens with BRP here. They almost always dump the responsibility on the buyers back.

Unfortunately i've heard of several stolen shipments in the Thunderbay region over the years. Same goes for the Abitibi regions of Ontario and Quebec. I've had a few come into the shop despite having the serial numbers ground off which was already a dead give away. Dealers are normally the ones that assign the DESS so of course they couldn't get them to work normally.
The stolen ones more often than not end up in some remote area or shipped the the USA. Last season a 2021 skandic wt 600 efi was recalled and shipped to the USA, there was no problem with the sled, it was an american that wanted one. Even if the person got refunded it's still theft when you consider the time, travel and other money spent just go get the sled and the licensing/insurance work.
I would keep my eye on ski-doo with what they offer in compensation. It's ok to be nice but don't let your guard down. EVER!

·
Keeping Skioutty on his toes...
2017 Ski doo Renegade 900...2022 Polaris Indy 137 XC 650
32,120 Posts
I'd like to see the news article about the stolen tractor trailers... Or at least some kind of letter from BRP saying that it happened...

·
Registered
Custom sleds
1,423 Posts
Well they stole a tractor trailer full of maple syrop about 18-24 months ago. It was the real QC maple syrop that sells for insane prices in the usa.
That's a heavy cargo load, not to mention rather unstable (tippy).
They eventually found the truck but it took close to a year to find it. Who would have thought maple syrop would be considered contraband enough to get stolen. I can't remember the exact value of the maple syrop shipment but you could have bought a dozen or more skandics with its value.
You have to laugh a little at theses antics. The shipment was so 'hot' (as in looked for) that they didn't dare move any of it.

I'd like to see the news article about the stolen tractor trailers... Or at least some kind of letter from BRP saying that it happened...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts