Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have a stock 2005 RT 1000. Was wondering what you guys would doo first? Can, reeds, clutch kits, ect. This is a hard decision! Help me spend my hard earned money!

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Change the reeds and boots first. If you melt the engine by doing the other mods first will be a waste of money. Second would be Big Johns Trail Torquer kit.

Mark

·
Registered
63 Posts
ski doo reeds very closely resemble the vforce reeds and do not make any difference at all as somebody mentioned over on snowest after trying them out.

I would get in touch with Big John on here and order the secondary components to change that button secondary over to a roller. Makes a huge difference. After the clutch work, get a can.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I sent Big John an e-mail. Is it hard to change a button to a roller secondary? Hopefully Big John can chime in on here before he checks his work e-mail. I was wondering if this change will eliminate the backshift that I currently have. Any inputs?

·
Registered
151 Posts
First - what's a Texan doing in the North Pole

The clutch kit will enhance the back shift, mine back shifts so well it feels like an engine brake coming down hill.

I wouldn't waste 300 clams on the new reeds and carb boots. Just keep an eye on yours to make sure your sled isn't one of the ones that got the defective disintegrating carb boots. If you did - they will be covered under warranty.

After clutch kit, I'd look at a can to reduce weight. No need to worry about the noise in Alaska - you won't be riding trails through Farmer John's property. No trails in Alaska to close down.

A different set of ski's can make a big difference in handling. Good riding gear means you can stay dry, warm and ride longer. Got a GPS, shovel, probe, avalanche transceiver?

How bout a couple belts and 4 gallons of synthetic oil - I think that's $300

·
Ski-doo's poster boy
2,128 Posts
Irondog said:

The clutch kit will enhance the back shift, mine back shifts so well it feels like an engine brake coming down hill.

I wouldn't waste 300 clams on the new reeds and carb boots. Just keep an eye on yours to make sure your sled isn't one of the ones that got the defective disintegrating carb boots. If you did - they will be covered under warranty.

After clutch kit, I'd look at a can to reduce weight. No need to worry about the noise in Alaska - you won't be riding trails through Farmer John's property. No trails in Alaska to close down.

A different set of ski's can make a big difference in handling. Good riding gear means you can stay dry, warm and ride longer. Got a GPS, shovel, probe, avalanche transceiver?

[snapback]690970[/snapback]​
Hey irondog,do you run Joeys kit?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Irondog said:

Ain't that the truth - ouch.
This sport is definitely takes some coin.
You can save a little though if you save your oil jugs and just have AMDS or wherever refill 'em.

A Clutch kit is definitely the best bang for the buck. Then after that, John's TT kit. The only reason to the V-Force reeds is for their boots, which I think are much better than stock. You also don't need any reed spacer at all with them.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Irondog said:

What doo you need belts for?......

·
Registered
63 Posts
There is not much to installing the roller secondary kit. Just remove the secondary and then take it apart. You'll need a tool to do this - you can make it, buy it or borrow from a friend. Easy to make with a piece of ready rod and a few nuts. You then replace the helix and the new half that John gives you and slap it back together.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mountain Drew said:
There is not much to installing the roller secondary kit. Just remove the secondary and then take it apart. You'll need a tool to do this - you can make it, buy it or borrow from a friend. Easy to make with a piece of ready rod and a few nuts. You then replace the helix and the new half that John gives you and slap it back together.

[snapback]691110[/snapback]​

I remember seeing pics of the clutch tool. Can somebody post it again so I will know what it looks like? I hope I can have all this done by the second weekend of February. I am going to drill the track, take out every other clip, cut the windshield, install the 20 tooth sprocket, and hopefully change the button clutch to a roller clutch.
I have my work cut out for me. Thanks for all the posts. Then I will get the TSS can later on.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Irondog, this is for you.
It took somebody a while to give me crap about where I am from.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Texan said:

I have a stock 2005 RT 1000. Was wondering what you guys would doo first? Can, reeds, clutch kits, ect. This is a hard decision! Help me spend my hard earned money!

[snapback]690664[/snapback]​
You could try a boondoctor kit i have seen lots of them, guys are saying good thing about them.$950.00 Can

·
G MAN
5,381 Posts
The two things that made my enjoyment of the sport MUCH greater have been Mods skis and my Boss seat. I'd do those WAY before considering performance mods that barely add anything noticable except lightening your wallet. I do agree that clutching would come first for performance mods but the RT does fine on it's own.

My 2 cents,

G MAN

·
Registered
368 Posts
For a stock 2005?
Without a doubt, better skis will give you the best return for your money. The '05 "offset" skis are horrible. Decent skis will give you a much better riding experience in all aspects of riding.
Investing in light weight parts (i.e. can) or performance parts (clutch kit) will provide a neat "wow" factor but but you would still be living with bad handling and general performance (trail, side hilling, and overall control) because of those skis.
A 1000 already has plenty of power and you will only loose so much weight with a can. Put that money where it will really do the most good.
hickster

·
Registered
677 Posts
Texan, Rail stiffeners would be a good choice too, $30 or $35, and a screen kit to keep all the snow out of the air intake and vents. i would also agree with the new skis, the MODS skis, i just put some on my Summit and they are well worth the money.

·
Highlife says: "UpAndOver Baby!"
1,281 Posts
Ok .. 300 really isnt that much money! I know, that sucks!

I think for my first 300 I would first .... buy and install a skid plate especially with the snow depths we have right now. That piece of plastic will cost 100 ... get a holeshot brand as they are thicker and more durable than the ski-doo version.

Now you only have 200 left ..... if you dont have a beacon ...I would buy one .. they are 300 but you might be able to get one on ebay. How about a back pack with shovel,probe,first aid kit, emergency equipment, good tools .. etc.

If you have all that already then the next thing would be a lightweight can .. I cant stand how big and heavy stock silencers are. Its nice to loose some weight on a sled that is already HEAVY.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts