Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we are still travelling on the ice here in Iqaluit. The ice seems to be about 1 month early, that is it looks like June 20, not May 20. From the sattelite photos the extent of ice is great, (look on Modis rapidfire), but we have a lot of water on top still. Others used to travelling on sea Ice will know what I'm talking about. There is no safe close floe edge ....yet

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well Saturday (june 21) was the first day that it was not possible to leave the edge of town by snowmobile, what may seem like a long season was actually shortened by a few weeks this year! We often snowmobile till July 1, as we did last year. ( as I remember a friend put his Polaris 550 in the drink, when he came back, and he came back either later the same day or the next day that I did, right Chris? He also goes by the name Ooyuk. )

Outside of the 1 mile or so strip of open water is quite a lot of sound ice still, I have seen guys boating ( that means hunting from a boat) looking for seals and possibly Beluga whales. We usually hunt them 20-15 miles from town at the edge of ice, in areas that open into water first. This year because of the increased extent of ice, the whales couldn't make it to the open spots, (point for the whales) and hunting was poor. I don't think that I heard of a single whale been taken yet this year! Last year by this time I would guess 20 had been caught ( killed, and cut up for food). The Mataaq (skin is good, once you get used to it!)

If I can get my 24' freighter into the water, and some help to load the '99 Tundra into it I may still get a little more snowmobiling in this year. That Tundra still works even though I drove it till it stopped when the oil cable broke but thats another story....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When do things start to freeze again, late July?
things could freeze anytime. In July, when it is calm, very calm, a skim of ice can form on the ocean, especially between islands. the water looks flat as a mirror, which it often is.
As you drive a boat through the water it pushes the thin ice and throws small pieces out, it makes a unique sound.

Ice for snowmobiling, on the ocean starts in November or so, but sometimes you can make a shortcut on the edge of the ice. People drive on the ice in November, looking for seal holes, always approaching the open water. It is dangerous, and people often fall through. Seals live near dangerous ice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
things could freeze anytime. In July, when it is calm, very calm, a skim of ice can form on the ocean, especially between islands. the water looks flat as a mirror, which it often is.
As you drive a boat through the water it pushes the thin ice and throws small pieces out, it makes a unique sound.

Ice for snowmobiling, on the ocean starts in November or so, but sometimes you can make a shortcut on the edge of the ice. People drive on the ice in November, looking for seal holes, always approaching the open water. It is dangerous, and people often fall through. Seals live near dangerous ice.
holy crap!! Thats a long season, Wouldent want to ride in jan up there, Im from ont, were pussy sleders, I pack it in at -25!! LOL!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
holy crap!! Thats a long season, Wouldent want to ride in jan up there, Im from ont, were pussy sleders, I pack it in at -25!! LOL!!
If we packed it in at -25 we would miss 3 mounths of sledding

1 - 6 of 6 Posts