Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one having problems with the tie rod steering boot getting filled with ice? I had some fun in the fresh powder (and ended up getting stuck a couple of times) only to find out a couple of days later that my steering boots were solid ice. It almost seems as though the snow that i took in through the hood melted at the bottom of the belly pan and drained into both boots. One of the boots pulled itself out of the metal ring but fortunately did not rip anywhere. I took it into a heated shop and I am currently waiting for it to thaw out.

I have a few questions about this.

1. Why does this occur?
2. Has this happened to anyone else?
3. What did you do to fix it?
4. How hard is it going to be to stuff the boot back under the ring without removing the rivets? Any tricks to this?

·
Registered
78 Posts
The snow comes in the screens in the hood ,falls down on to the steering and packs in the boots. the next thing is you turn the bars and the ice push the boots off. It took about an hour to replace the boot(mine was ripped),but mine is on warrenty. The dealer put metal window screen on behind the factory nose screen,this has not stopped the problem, but I think is has helped. The biggest consern I had with this problem was Icould not turn very short. You just have to thaw it out every few rides I guess. It is a big problem and could be dangerous.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.