Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
In keeping with my interest in perfecting riding on two feet. anyone want to throw some pointers on doing just that at me.

Keep in mind my experience comes from riding dirtbikes

from my one weekend of ridng nasty trail standing up i noticed a few things regarding stand up riding.

the first was feed back from my legs and feet on what the sled was doing. the big problem was i wasn't really getting any. On My bike i can grip the machine with my feet and legs below the knee and this gives you immediate feedback on what the bike is doing. Which allows you to counter the bikes actions quickly with your arms via the bars and your legs though weight shifting and your upper body. The sled is much wider than my bike and i could not really grip it unless i got in a weird knock kneed position. I tried ridng in a squat type position with my knees up against the cowl but this was ackward to maintain while standing. It did give good feedback as to what the machine was doing. Pitch roll etc. When just standing in a more natural position wiht basically only my feet on the running boards i got absolutely no feed back. It was kind freaky in way. i like to feel what the machine is up to. the only feed back i was really getting was through the bars. Is that just the nature of the beast?? What about those adjustable foot things. Do you bring them right down so it's like slipping your foot into a set of bindings or do you keep up for more room.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would recomend that you keep those little foot things all the way up. If you do become seperated from the sled(crash) trust me you don't want to be pulled by the sled because your foot is stuck. I know from experience.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Skid,I too was wondering about the lack of feed-back while standing and riding and then I finally realized what the problem was-There Is no feed-back.Isn't that the way the suspension Is supposed to work?While standing I can make the roughest trail feel like It has just been groomed.Thats not a bad thing

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Kind of the nature of the beast I guess. Go taller on your bars so you aren't squating so much. Take off the adjustable foot "things". You don't want them on there, trust me. Skidoo seats are too wide if you ask me. Try a 440 seat or buy a boss seat. This will give you more feedback since you can pull your knees together at the top of the seat more.

·
Metalhead
9,088 Posts
I rarely sit now on a ride. I'll stand for like 58 of a 60 mile trip. I changed springs on my sled all the way around to next-softer. Since I do this now I can drive at least 5 mph faster in bumps that normally would make my sled go *ping ping* across the top when I sit.
When the track is off the ground, you have less control. My front coils and rear torsion springs are set on lowest pos, coupler blocks at uncouple. My standing position has improved. I used to hook my toes in while standing driving and now I drive in sno-x position with my feet towards the back of the running board where it starts to curl back towards the tunnel. I have more confidence when I come to 4' compression dips or rises where it makes the sled go straight up in the air. The sled has less influence on my body, the sled goes up and I still can keep my feet on the running boards then rotate the handlebars through towards the direction where im going and because im up high I can see the ground better to time getting on the gas again to straighten me out. When I find my position, my feet are slight forward than I like, i just wait for a bump and let the sled kick my feet off the running boards so then my feet fall back and find the "honey spot"

Try this when standing driving coming up to a bump....let the trail bump kick your feet straight up off the running boards only a few inches, where you land is where you'll probably feel comfortable. I started to let the bump kick me up and now for fun I preload, I on-purpose time it so when the bump kicks me up I give a little push off and get about 6 inches of feet off the running board then land. it's fun.

What also helps with the 440 rev is having the capacity for handlebar adjustment. Im not sure if consumer sleds have this option. I move the gooseneck from factory position to the rear and roll the riser back, so where I stand, im comfortable and don't have to bend over.

Where my feet are is where I stand all the time when riding.

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
Joe........you ready to ride next weeknd............How's the snow gonna be? I hope we can keep up!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts