Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys have experience with taking over someone's spring order sled? I wasn't ready during the spring order season to lay down the dough, but have recently decided to try pick one up.

All dealers that have X sleds on the floor currently want full MSRP so finding a spring order purchaser that wants to back out is the optimal solution.

I happened to find one seller who hasn't taken delivery of his sled yet. He's told me it would be like a private party sale. Original purchaser would buy from the dealer and then i'd purchase from him in the dealers parking lot. I find it hard to believe I can't just pay the original purchaser his $500 deposit and have the dealer put the sled in my name prior to taking delivery...

I should still receive the spring promotional 4 year warranty going this route correct?

Any experience doing it this way?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I bought a few spring order only sleds straight from dealer without being the original person who ordered it. It was indeed reported in the original buyers name (in this case an employee at the dealer to help build their inventory). However I did all the paperwork at the dealer. The person who was originally involved didn’t buy it and then sell it to me.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I wouldn't buy it in the parking lot. I have bought a couple of spring orders in the past, made the purchase directly through the dealer and always received the spring incentives.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I bought my XRS 900 this year and it was a spring order that someone backed out of as well. All paperwork done through the dealer.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Why would the OP want to pay sales tax on it? Probably making some $$$ on top of what the dealer would sell it for. Nothing wrong with that if you like the price. I basically sold my spring order as a parking lot deal, although I lost money on it.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought a few spring order only sleds straight from dealer without being the original person who ordered it. It was indeed reported in the original buyers name (in this case an employee at the dealer to help build their inventory). However I did all the paperwork at the dealer. The person who was originally involved didn't buy it and then sell it to me.
Did you receive the extended warranty or only a limited 1 year? I was told to get the 4 yr warranty the sled must stay in the original purchasers name for a while. Don't know the time frame.

Sled still has to stay in original purchasers name with brp for a year I guess. Friend just did this
How would a warranty claim work if the sled isn't in 'your' name? I was told the same thing but never receieved a definite time table as to how long the sled must be in the original purchasers name.

I bought my XRS 900 this year and it was a spring order that someone backed out of as well. All paperwork done through the dealer.
Did you receive the spring incentives? Warranty?

Why would the OP want to pay sales tax on it? Probably making some $$$ on top of what the dealer would sell it for. Nothing wrong with that if you like the price. I basically sold my spring order as a parking lot deal, although I lost money on it.
I would be buying out the original buyer. He just his original $500 deposit back. Still a better price paying Sales Tax than not taking over the spring order and buying off the dealer floor. Buy off the floor and you only get 1 year warranty and pay full MSRP or more.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yes I received the original 4 year warranty.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
There's no problem buying it in the parking lot, just get some proof that it has a 4 year warranty. You could have snow checked a 1 year warranty for a discount on the msrp.

·
going to an island soon
29,916 Posts
I did last fall . Guy backed out ,lost his $500.00 deposit (so I was told). All 4 years warranty ,everything is in my name , just as if I originally ordered it in the spring .

A lot probably depends on your dealer ...

Reactions: stamminen

·
Registered
892 Posts
My dealer has had spring order sleds in their showroom. I’m unsure if they ordered them to sell, or to demo, or if someone backed out of a spring order. I almost bought one because the price was reduced, but the dealer then told me the warranty was only for a year, so I didn’t go through with the purchase.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I went through this two years ago on a gade 850x that someone backed out of, DID NOT get extended warranty, dealer said they can’t do it, called brp rep said no extended warranty

·
Super Moderator
29,346 Posts
The extras only go to who put down the original $500. If you get any more it's because your dealer worked it in to the deal OR kept it in the original persons name, whether you knew it or not.

Reactions: 4ws f 7
1 - 20 of 35 Posts