Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm shopping for a new 23' total box length inline trailer and I see some companies offering spread axles. Anybody have experience with these on a relatively short trailer?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I have a 24 foot with a 3 foot v nose with the spread axles and its scary to tow empty with my F350. Gone back and forth with the dealer and sent measurements to the manufacturer and everything is proper according to them. It is my first experience with spread axles and at this time I am blaming my huge sway problems on the spread axle set-up. They sold me a active braking system but I have not had a chance to install it yet

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
317 Posts
My answer is "No". Spread axles will chew the tires as they scrub when turning and turning (especially backing) can be a pain because they "walk" between the axles.

The trailer is a essentially a teeter todder with two fulcrums (High School Physics pays off). Since tandem axles are typically mounted directly to the frame, there is no way to transfer weight from one axle to the other while in motion. When you see spread axles on a semi trailer, they utilize a leveling valve with air suspension to equalize load.

Tandem axle cargo/sled trailers need to ride level, and have an even distribution of weight front to rear and side to side. Most of us disregard the side to side consideration. From my horse owning experience, a two horse trailer hauling one horse handles differently than with two. I see pictures of inline trailers with three sleds -one side of the trailer is heavier than the other. Maybe the difference is subtle, but when the "uneven gust of wind" blows the "unevenly loaded trailer" traveling on "uneven road"... you get the idea.

The reality most of us don't havefour different vehicles to select depending on weather, passengers, and load. I've pulled my 27' with a Suburban just fine, but my F250 "handles it" much better. A 3/4 ton is just more truck than a 1/2 ton.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I have a 24 foot with a 3 foot v nose with the spread axles and its scary to tow empty with my F350. Gone back and forth with the dealer and sent measurements to the manufacturer and everything is proper according to them. It is my first experience with spread axles and at this time I am blaming my huge sway problems on the spread axle set-up. They sold me a active braking system but I have not had a chance to install it yet

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
What are spread axles?

·
Registered
317 Posts
That's not a huge spread, but my thoughts are the same. The plus is that the trailer will naturally track in a straight line and have less up/down rocking on the hitch.

Ask the rep or the engineer to explain the logic behind the design. Like everyone in this forum, I am pretty smart but could be missing something.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts