Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a second sled ,one the wife could use or both of us on a trail ride . Is the sport tippy ? I have a summit and it is very tippy ,but it is made to be ,but at close to 70 it can be a hand full .

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I found mine extremely tippy at first. I was coming from a 92 mx.
These are way taller.
With a season under my belt I find it pretty good. Skis set wide.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a 2020 Expedition Sport 900 Ace. I only have about 75 miles on it. I don’t find it tippy but I have the 10” ski skins and I’m used to today’s newer, taller sleds. I have the ski stance set at the widest setting as well. In my short seat time on this sled, I’m really liking it and assume you will also. I do notice a little push in corners on a groomed trail likely because of the long track. I’m going to wait for more seat time before I attempt any adjustments. Good luck in your search for a second sled.

·
Registered
132 Posts
For 2020 the Expedition Sport still comes in the XP chassis (I think that is what it's called) when ordered with the 550 fan. I can't speak to that one as my previous sleds were late 90's Polaris and Ski Doo's. I currently have a 2019 Gen 4 Sport and you do sit higher and therefore it feels very different. I suppose it could feel that way at first but I really don't think tippy is an inherent quality of the sled as after riding it for a while the thought of tippy never comes to mind. The wife and I took it for an 85 mile lunch date last weekend and she said she almost fell asleep on our way back to the trailhead.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
I bought the expedition sport 3 years ago with the same intent as you. My wife had not been on a snowmobile since the old Olympics, so we may as well say she was new to snowmobiling. First day out she put it on it's side going very slow in a banked corner. I convinced her she needed to use a bit more speed in some situations, to this point it has not happened again.

I look back to when I first rode the bigger expedition le, I was used to my old 1995 Mountain Cat, I think I did not go more than 100 yards before I was on my side. These machines require a different riding technique than the old machines, but once you get used to them they are incredible. I had the sport out yesterday riding old logging roads, came around a corner at about 50mph to a section where a 4x4 had turned around and messed things up badly, one ski got caught in the wheel rut and followed it's erratic path the other ski lifted off the snow and gave me a bit of a ride but it was still very much in control. The old cat would have been a much hairier ride there

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
For 2020 the Expedition Sport still comes in the XP chassis (I think that is what it's called) when ordered with the 550 fan. I can't speak to that one as my previous sleds were late 90's Polaris and Ski Doo's. I currently have a 2019 Gen 4 Sport and you do sit higher and therefore it feels very different. I suppose it could feel that way at first but I really don't think tippy is an inherent quality of the sled as after riding it for a while the thought of tippy never comes to mind. The wife and I took it for an 85 mile lunch date last weekend and she said she almost fell asleep on our way back to the trailhead.

My wife loves the seat and huge backrest.
I even sat on the back for a while and she drove. I liked it!

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I had a expo 550 did not like it at all ,also very hard on gas .I am looking for a 900 ace ,or a very low mileage 600 etec.

·
Registered
318 Posts
My wife is on an expy sport 600ace and within a few rides she could get it going real well down the trails. Its also an incredibly good off trail sled. Recommend anyone looking for on/off trail sled the expy sport. Also woody's duallies are a perfect carbide setup for the ds2 on this machine.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Would the 600 ace have enough power two up on long power lines that we normally run at 50kmph to 60kmph ? Just ridding in the bush trails and such i would think the 600 ace would be fine .

·
Registered
318 Posts
Would the 600 ace have enough power two up on long power lines that we normally run at 50kmph to 60kmph ? Just ridding in the bush trails and such i would think the 600 ace would be fine .
Are these powerlines groomed or snow covered? The 600ace on an expy is all torqued not much top end. On a groomed trail it will get to 90kmh quickly and then struggle to hit 110kmh. On snow covered lakes its more of a 70 to 80 kmh max speed. It will pull a toboggan all day at 70kmh packed trails even if its got a few inches of fresh snow on it. Its quiet, fun to ride, great on gas and an overachiever for sure but its no speed demon.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the reply's .The 600 is $ 1000 cheaper than the 900 ,but i kind of have my heart set on a 900 . I have a xpo 900 lined up but waiting till after Christmas to make arrangements for pickup.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts