Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There,

I'm hearing a clanging when rotatling my primary by hand is this normal? If not I'm going to inspect it.

After removing the Primary and as the title says is it possible to split the Primary Clutch on a XP600sdi without having the use of a puller?

Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Hi There,

I'm hearing a clanging when rotatling my primary by hand is this normal? If not I'm going to inspect it.

After removing the Primary and as the title says is it possible to split the Primary Clutch on a XP600sdi without having the use of a puller?

Thanks for any info!
the clanging you hear is normal it is the arms falling back down and hittting the spring cup as you rotate it. yes you can separte the clutch halves when you have it off with a rubber hammer or something similar, but how are you gonna get the clutch off without the puller anyway?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi There,

Thanks for any info!
You can remove the clutch without a puller - done it many times on several machines. Take a long 3/8" grade 5 bolt & cut off the threads with a hacksaw. Now cut the head off so that you have a piece of the shank of the bolt exactly 2" long. Remove the clutch bolt, slide in the 2" piece of bolt shank & reinstall the clutch bolt. Tighten the clutch bolt & it will work just like a store bought puller.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Why screw around with an expensive part like a primary, screw it up and it will cost you big $$ or worse yet fly through your leg. Spend the $30 and do it right, it is August after all.

I've had mine for 10 years, paid for itself many times.

·
Registered
173 Posts
water trick works great! Take bolt out and load it with teflon than tip your sled on its side, add water, wrench the bolt back on and it pops right off.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Stock clutch bolt, teflon tape, and some hot,hot water..........
So it is my assumption that you are distorting the taper of the crank to blow your clutch off
The clutch bolt is threaded into the crank. When I put a clutch puller in, it is threaded into the clutch and the puller pushes in the center of the crank to seperate the taper of the crank and clutch. I don't understand how your method could not be doing some sort of damage.

·
Registered
34 Posts
100% on the water....but it doesn't need to be hot. Tip sled on it's side, fill the hole where the bolt goes with water,wrap your stock clutch bolt with teflon tape(4-5 wraps, opposite way of the threads), screw it in and it will pop at about 40-50 lbs of force. With the primary off, tap the bolt on a concrete floor and the primary will split. Works on my 09 800r anyway. You will need to hold the primary to get the bolt to unthread initially. Good luck

·
Registered
143 Posts
100% on the water....but it doesn't need to be hot. Tip sled on it's side, fill the hole where the bolt goes with water,wrap your stock clutch bolt with teflon tape(4-5 wraps, opposite way of the threads), screw it in and it will pop at about 40-50 lbs of force. With the primary off, tap the bolt on a concrete floor and the primary will split. Works on my 09 800r anyway. You will need to hold the primary to get the bolt to unthread initially. Good luck
X2..........works like a charm.

·
Registered
302 Posts

Thanks for any info!
Yes, you can split your primary without using a puller. The outer shaft is connected with splines to the inner half. I usually don't even remove the inner sheave. I just take the bolt off, and slide the outer sheave off. Hey presto, off to the workbench I go... No need to remove the inner sheave if you are just going to clean/inspect it.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Yes, you can split your primary without using a puller. The outer shaft is connected with splines to the inner half. I usually don't even remove the inner sheave. I just take the bolt off, and slide the outer sheave off. Hey presto, off to the workbench I go... No need to remove the inner sheave if you are just going to clean/inspect it.
no splines anymore all taper fit

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1st thanks for all the info guys muchly appreciated!

I found a thread on here where a guy said the XP600sdi had the splines and the 800 is a taper fit. Would this be correct or are they both a taper fit now?

And I'm just removing it for cleaning and inspection purposes, anything I should automatically change on it for preventative maintenance before the season? Sleds got 6800km on it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
On your 800 and the 1200's, yes, but he was asking about his 600 SDI. It has the good old TRA III... Even my new '11 600 E-tec will have the old, trusty TRA III...

hondacr2, I would look for any excessive wear on the rollers, and in the hinged arms. The ramps can also wear, if the rollers have been sationary. There are a lot of threads on this that explains it much better then I can, so just search around here on DooTalk a little, and you will find everything you need to know... Or maybe some of the more experienced guys will chime in here...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On your 800 and the 1200's, yes, but he was asking about his 600 SDI. It has the good old TRA III... Even my new '11 600 E-tec will have the old, trusty TRA III...

hondacr2, I would look for any excessive wear on the rollers, and in the hinged arms. The ramps can also wear, if the rollers have been sationary. There are a lot of threads on this that explains it much better then I can, so just search around here on DooTalk a little, and you will find everything you need to know... Or maybe some of the more experienced guys will chime in here...
Thanks for the info RSV. So I can basically follow Dynamo Joe's step by step write up for TRA 2 Clutches Part 1 thru 3. I'm going to give the water trick a try extremely interested it that.

Just out of curiosity what's the difference between the TRA 2 and TRA III?

·
Summer Sucks!!!!!
8,989 Posts
So it is my assumption that you are distorting the taper of the crank to blow your clutch off
The clutch bolt is threaded into the crank. When I put a clutch puller in, it is threaded into the clutch and the puller pushes in the center of the crank to seperate the taper of the crank and clutch. I don't understand how your method could not be doing some sort of damage.
FYI - Using the bolt, teflon tape and water method nothing is touching the crankshaft except water. The bolt threads into the clutch just as the puller does.

·
Registered
710 Posts
FYI - Using the bolt, teflon tape and water method nothing is touching the crankshaft except water. The bolt threads into the clutch just as the puller does.
Thank you for the info. This will be my first doo so I did not understand that the puller would thread into the clutch also. I understand how it will work and will use this method myself.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts