Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well the speedo continues to sweep to 136mph at a fast idle,,,here is what I done so far
removed console, put speedo and tach back in and started unplugging wires,, all to no avail. Unplugged the whole handlebar harness, removed the headlight relay, replaced the headlight relay, unplugged the taillight harness at the back of the sled, all with no luck
unplugged the tach,,,, still there
swapped speedo with my wifes sled, still does it
swapped speedo pickup with my wifes and still does it
unplugged headlights, no go
as posted in an earlier post, I do believe I have ground issue. The headlights get slightly brighter when I use the brake, that was always the other way around. Also the headlights don'e seem as bright as usual. Tried removing the brake light bulb,, no go.
Also as posted the miles are way off, only indicates about one mile for every ten traveled,,,
looking for more ideas, have about six hundred miles on the sled like this and it sucks,, thanks, glma

·
Registered
72 Posts
glma said:
well the speedo continues to sweep to 136mph at a fast idle,,,here is what I done so far
removed console, put speedo and tach back in and started unplugging wires,, all to no avail. Unplugged the whole handlebar harness, removed the headlight relay, replaced the headlight relay, unplugged the taillight harness at the back of the sled, all with no luck
unplugged the tach,,,, still there
swapped speedo with my wifes sled, still does it
swapped speedo pickup with my wifes and still does it
unplugged headlights, no go
as posted in an earlier post, I do believe I have ground issue. The headlights get slightly brighter when I use the brake, that was always the other way around. Also the headlights don'e seem as bright as usual. Tried removing the brake light bulb,, no go.
Also as posted the miles are way off, only indicates about one mile for every ten traveled,,,
looking for more ideas, have about six hundred miles on the sled like this and it sucks,, thanks, glma
[snapback]692701[/snapback]​
You are not alone,I have also replaced MPEM, magnet and sensor, configeration harness, voltage regulator,etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. Almost have the wiring diagram memorized. I'm also thinking ground issue. All exteral grounds are verified. The ground side of the main harness has about 20 splices in it. It's next!!! Been dealing with this since november. Also looking.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Mine still does the same thing. Not one clue as to why. I have tried many of the same things
Would be nice if a DOO tech chimed in with some possible solutions

·
Registered
483 Posts
Does it ever go back to normal and then work?? last weekend mine was going from 40 to pegged then would sit at 120 , I checked all grounds then all of a sudden it just started working right, Oh yea even when I shut down it stayed at 120 I can not figure it out becuase it goes back to normal and the sled always ran fine? I am thinking moisture from this mild weather

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Most of the speedo failures are the cuircitry in the speedo its self,i have 5 revs in the shop right now for repair and three of them have bum speedo's ,one is stuck at 30 mph and reads double mph when spun(odometer and digital seem to function properly) and one that is stuck on 5 mph untill you move sled and then goes immediatly to 140mph,and one that doesnt do a darn thing, called bomber tech and they said it was the first they have heard about it, must be that noone is complaining to loud

·
Registered
72 Posts
vettezr1 said:
Does it ever go back to normal and then work?? last weekend mine was going from 40 to pegged then would sit at 120 , I checked all grounds then all of a sudden it just started working right, Oh yea even when I shut down it stayed at 120 I can not figure it out becuase it goes back to normal and the sled always ran fine? I am thinking moisture from this mild weather
[snapback]692806[/snapback]​
It never works normal, just goes to 136MPH, right off idle-whether the track is turning or not.

·
Registered
72 Posts
dyna-tek racing said:
Most of the speedo failures are the cuircitry in the speedo its self,i have 5 revs in the shop right now for repair and three of them have bum speedo's ,one is stuck at 30 mph and reads double mph when spun(odometer and digital seem to function properly) and one that is stuck on 5 mph untill you move sled and then goes immediatly to 140mph,and one that doesnt do a darn thing, called bomber tech and they said it was the first they have heard about it, must be that noone is complaining to loud
[snapback]692918[/snapback]​
A new one still does it and they have heard from me!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ditto to bigredder, never works normal, right off idle goes to 136 and I tried the wifes speedo and same thing,,,,,,

·
Registered
231 Posts
Mine started dooing this last weekend. I noticed once that when I hit a big bump, it straightened out. Then after a stop, it started doing it again. It was an intermittent problem for a while, but then it did it all the time. I changed the relay today, and it worked fine. Then I put the old relay back in, and its still fine
I'm starting to think maybe the battery has an internal short ? Does everyone with this problem have electric start ?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
The wife's sled has E-start...It sticks on 136, when running faster that 1800 rpm..Headlite gets brighter when brake is used...and now the hand warmers don't work either???? Ground is tight on the battery...Dealer orderd the sensor....

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Alright someone tell me when Doo started getting there speedo's from Yamaha......... Now all kidding aside it must be in your harness or sensor somewhere....... shorts like these may never be found...... What does your digital do when you are riding?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rev, M&S sounds like the same thing but good luck, changed the sensor and mine and still no luck. Mine is electric start so maybe that is the common thing. Has anyone had this problem without the electric start? I believe if the battery had an internal short, it would discharge when not being used. The hard bump jarring the problem seems to make sense with a short somewhere,,,, hopefully we can figure this darn thing out, nice to know I am not the only one although don't wish the problem on anyone else,,, thanks glma

·
Registered
231 Posts
glma,,, does yours ever straighten out ? Just one time I happened to be looking at the speedo when I hit a sharp bump and it went back to normal. It stayed normal until I stopped and started again,about 15 miles later, then it stayed at 136 mph and the headlamps were in a "brownout" state. The next morning, same thing. Now it seems fine again

·
Registered
72 Posts
glma said:
rev, M&S sounds like the same thing but good luck, changed the sensor and mine and still no luck. Mine is electric start so maybe that is the common thing. Has anyone had this problem without the electric start? I believe if the battery had an internal short, it would discharge when not being used. The hard bump jarring the problem seems to make sense with a short somewhere,,,, hopefully we can figure this darn thing out, nice to know I am not the only one although don't wish the problem on anyone else,,, thanks glma
[snapback]693211[/snapback]​
My computer guy says pixie dust - Magic pixie dust. But he's low and won't part with any and it's on BACK ORDER! What's a back order?

·
Registered
72 Posts
bigredder said:
glma said:
[snapback]693211[/snapback]​
My computer guy says pixie dust - Magic pixie dust. But he's low and won't part with any and it's on BACK ORDER! What's a back order?

[snapback]693345[/snapback]​
Sorry - this is getting to me! Too many hours in this problem.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wildwill, no mine never goes away, but to be honest at this point I don't look at it much anymore. Losing the speedo is bad enough, but almost miss the odometer more. Looking forward to getting this problem solved,,,, thanks for the help guys,, glma

·
Registered
203 Posts
I haven't had this problem with mine (yet) , mine is not ES. If it seems to follow the electric start has anyone tried to disconnect the battery? Perhaps its in the charging system trying to maintain the battery?? Are there any grounds to consider at the Mag? Under the recoil? Voltage regulator coroded maybe, doesn't it ground with the fastening bolt?
Good luck all.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
wondered that myself, although the electric start system works fine, which would seem to rule it out. Maybe like you say, something in the charging system,,, will spend some time with my wiring diagram tomorrow and look for some leads, glma

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
So why??? when I disconnected the ground cable on our 05, 500ss, you can't start the sled with the rope? The cable has to be connected...So if you battery is dead are you hooped??? Any ideas???

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
not All of mine have e start on them,it is either in the harness or speedo

1 - 20 of 40 Posts