Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My speedo is not working on my 94 Mach 1, cable looks good, any ideas what to look for, could the cable be broken in the casing or is it the speedo head itself?

Thanks

·
Registered
155 Posts
I believe there was a similar thread a while back. On some (Most?) models, where the cable goes into the end of the drive axel, it actually goes into a plastic plug that is pushed into the end of the axel. It is sometimes hard to see with the grease and what not. Those plastic plugs sometimes break or wear out, check and replace that.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Ok, there are a couple issues that would cause this problem.

Worst situation is that your speedo bearing has sh&% the bed and actually sheared off your speedo cable.

If this is the case, then you DO NOT want to further drive the sled. Your bearing will eventually sh&% the bed so much, it will seize sending your drive axle out of alignment which will throw your track off alignment and cause the track to rip apart and your drive axle can actually punch right through your chaincase.

A good friend of mine had this happen to his TCAT when I was right behind him on my lake last season, I saw sparks up by the drivers (was the bearing sparking) and before I could flag him down his bearing let go, sent the drive axle through the chaincase cover, and ripped his track to pieces, let me remind you he was trucking a good 105-110 MPH when this happend, and he is very lucky he did not loose control. Let me remind you we were picking up pieces of tracks and studs which were thrown a good 100 feet from his sled, and I was very lucky not to get a piece of debri as I was right to his side. I actually have pictures of the mess, let me see if I can dig those up.

I could be wrong, but if my speedo EVER stopped working I would immediadly limp the sled home @ 10MPH and rip my drive axle off and immediatly look at that bearing on the speedo side.

If it was me, I would pull the axle, and inspect.

But who knows, it could in the longrun just be a sh&% speedo drive insert (plastic insert that pushes into end of drive axle).

But honestly, I don't see how that plastic drive insert could ever break. The way those things are wedged in there, just hard to believe they would break.

Goodluck, and let us know how you do.

If you would like to call me for further information feel free to PM me.

Afterall I cannot type everything I know!

·
Tha Hammer
1,688 Posts
I agree with 809 on his 1st idea.I've had a couple sled lose that bearing and it take the speedo with it.tkae a minute and pull the triangle case off it and ck it out.

·
Registered
337 Posts
machz830 said:
I agree with 809 on his 1st idea.I've had a couple sled lose that bearing and it take the speedo with it.tkae a minute and pull the triangle case off it and ck it out.

[snapback]262526[/snapback]​
Im not sure on the F2000 but on my CK3 its almost impossible to see under the secondary and into the bearing area, but by all means you can try and look in with a flashlight.

When you take off the speedo cable cage, you can then pull off the speedo flange and when you take off that flange there should be white grease everywere in there.

If you do not find grease, then you have a problem, and most likley your bearing has sh&% the bed.

Like I said, you may not be able to get a view at your bearing by just taking off the speedo flange. I think you need to drop the axle.

Do me a favor, take off those 3 nyloc nuts that hold on your speedo flange and pull the flange out, hold it in your hand and look at the speedo wire at the end. Make sure that hasnt been sheered off. Better yet take a picture and post it so I can see it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys, I will look into it this week-end and will let you know, I will post pics

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
Also make sure the speedo cable isn't binding. Disconnect the speedo cable down by the drive axle and try to rotate the cable by hand. You can also hook up an electric drill and see if the cable and speedo are working correctly. That will isolate the problem to either the cable or speedo side or the drive mechanism on the end of the drive axle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts