Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having problems with fouling spark plugs randomly on all my machines, Skidoo, Polaris and even in my quads.

The plugs are Br9es NGK.

Have any of you had this problem? Has the quality standards of these plugs just went down hill? Any better plugs out there for replacements that don't foul as bad? Once they foul they are junk, I cant get them cleaned to ever work again.

Thanks Rich

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Try BR9EYA. Basically the same as the ES except they have a V in the anode to help reduce fouling.

I ran BR9EYA in my 380 Touring because it was fouling the ES plugs all the time. Went from changing plugs every other trip to lasting the rest of the season (about 9-10 trips).

Other than that, going with the Champion RN2C can help. I ran them in my Touring as well and the advantage they had was when the Touring was running, they worked, even when they were weak. NGK's would just quit on me.

It really depends on how they are fouling. Fouling is being used as a general term.

Two main types of fouling:

Oil/Fuel foul - build up of excess oil on the plugs. - This should not be blamed on the plug, but in a 2 stroke, going with a hotter (BR8ES) plug might help.

Plug foul, this is when the spark plug looks normal but has a weak or no spark.

In my experience, NGK plugs will go weak and then lose spark all together. Champions will just get weaker and weaker as they age.

The ECS is not much different from the ES. The ground anode is just at a different angle (low angle). Being shorter, I would guess it helps keep it cooler as heat is dissipated out the sides of the plug (threaded area).

·
Registered
486 Posts
Try the BR9ECS. I used to foul plugs quite often on a '94 583 I had years ago, especially when riding with the wife and kids at slower speeds. A Skidoo dealer told me to try them and it fixed the problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys,

The plugs just seem to be gas fouled and quit sparking completely, I did put some rn2c's in my Polaris 6 wheeler and so far I haven't fouled a plug in 8 days HURRAY!!! Im gonna try some in my sleds and see what happens.

Rich

1 - 7 of 7 Posts