Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this has been answered before, and searching the site, couldn't find anything, so here goes. Bought an '06 Renegade 600 HO SDI after having an '05. Had some troubles with fouling of the '05's plugs, but "learned" to properly start the sled and never had any more problems (4000KM). This year, my sled came from the dealer with BR 8 ECS plugs installed, however, the manual states the use of 9's. So, my question is this, is there a difference? Also, what would be the reason for going to the 8's?

I replaced the dealer installed 8's with 9's, and haven't had any problems (850KM), but today had it at the dealers for check up, and they re-installed 8's. I find it runs a hair slower, so, I'm hoping for opinions from the knowledge of this site.

Thanks,
Scrimmer

·
Registered
9 Posts
Scrimmer said:
Not sure if this has been answered before, and searching the site, couldn't find anything, so here goes. Bought an '06 Renegade 600 HO SDI after having an '05. Had some troubles with fouling of the '05's plugs, but "learned" to properly start the sled and never had any more problems (4000KM). This year, my sled came from the dealer with BR 8 ECS plugs installed, however, the manual states the use of 9's. So, my question is this, is there a difference? Also, what would be the reason for going to the 8's?

I replaced the dealer installed 8's with 9's, and haven't had any problems (850KM), but today had it at the dealers for check up, and they re-installed 8's. I find it runs a hair slower, so, I'm hoping for opinions from the knowledge of this site.

Thanks,
Scrimmer

[snapback]697148[/snapback]​
I noticed the same thing Scrimmer, though I haven't tried the 9's yet. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow, so I'll ask when I'm there.

·
Registered
46 Posts
[quote name='Scrimmer' date='Feb 3 2006, 09:52 PM']

Thanks,
Scrimmer

I'm running BR9EYAS with no problems

·
Registered
265 Posts
yes run the 8's they are a hotter plug and are to stop the fouling. the book says to run 9's but by the time they figure out to run the 8's the book's were already printed. As far as going slower ya got me, maby temp or condition's or maby you were running up hill on the lake not sure. Try the 9's if you feel it run's better. It wont hurt the motor it might just foul a plug.!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey thanks everyone. The dealer said that BRP switched to the 8's last season (funny, my old dealer never mentioned that, and that's where I bought my '05 600 SDI).

I only fouled about six plugs last year, but that was because I started the sled verbatim from the owners manual. After a tech told me to give a shot of throttle on the initial start, never blew a plug for the rest of the season.

This year, the new '06 already fouled a plug (BR8ECS). So, I switched back to the 9's, but the dealer switched me back to 8's on the check up. I think I'll stick with the 9's, and put the 8's in the wife's sled ('06 Renegade 600 HO SDI - same as mine, but all black!). Will see at end of season.

Lastly, I think the reason for the loss in performance with the switch to the 8's was in fact due to the weather conditions, it was +5 C, wet snow - and lots of it!!

Thanks everyone for the advice, much appreciated!!

Scrimmer

·
Ski-Dooer
2,296 Posts
Crazy_2 said:
This is off the Skidoo Parts page
Listing is for a MXZ 600 HO SDI, Renegade 600 HO SDI
Spark Plugs are Item #15 br8ecs
Hope you can see it ok
[snapback]697533[/snapback]​
the BRP parts catalog says 9's for the 800...think it would run better on the 8?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Scrimmer,

I just bought a used 05' MXZ 600 SDI with 1200 miles & have already fouled two sets of plugs. Before I left the dealer they gave it the updated BR8ECS plugs & set the oil cable to 20mm from the original stock 16mm. After only 125 miles I have the two sets of fouled plugs. When are you giving the sled the shot of throttle, right after it fires? What is this supposed to do? Thanks for your help. Also did they adjust your oil cable too?

·
Registered
105 Posts
the 8s are hotter so wont foul as easily. Hotter will also help give more power, but too hot and she goes boom. Personally I run br9eya in my 05 600 sdi and never fouled a plug. just dont let it idle for long periods of time, no more than 2 min without giving it a few shots of gas.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Im using the 8's In my 06 Renegade 600SDI. got about 200 miles and around 11.5 hours. havent had a hitch yet. I start the machine let it warmup till it idles down to around 2K then im good to go... My friend has the same machine with about 90 miles and has fouled 3 Plugs so far. 2-8's and one 9... I drive mine alot harder then he does so maybe thats why im not having any problems. I broke her in right... Hes afraid he is going to hurt the engine by driving it hard...

"knock on wood i wont foul and plugs this year"

And just for the record the BR9ECS's are on ebay in sets of 4's and by the box at pretty good deal... About half price from what i pay at the dealer 12 CAD dollars each

·
Registered
94 Posts
Scrimmer said:

Thanks,
Scrimmer

[snapback]697148[/snapback]​
Hey Scimmer, I own a 06 Renegade X 600sdi with about 250mi. It came from the dealer with Br8ecs (stock #4172 gap distance). I have no problems with it so far except that the engine light comes on and it bogs out after running for a long distance. All you do is shut it off and restart it. This is fixable at your dealer through warranty. The only draw back is that the plugs cost about $8.00.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.