Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone explain why in the old days, you bought your plugs, checked the gap & installed them. Now you can't just walk into a dealership/parts store & ask for a BR9ECS. You have to ask for a specific XXXX plug.

My brother's '06 500SS uses a BR9ECS-5 which means a .5 mm gap.

My '07 600SDI uses a BR8ECS #4172, not a BR8ECS #6771,

BRP states in the '06 service manual not attempt to adjust the gap on spark plug BR9ECS.

Looking at the breakdown of the NGK plug designations, the only difference I can between a ES & ECS plug is the C signifies "low angle ground electrode" & a plug that is 2 and a half times more expensive than the old standby.

I've heard that if you attempt to adjust the gap on a ECS plug, you'll break the ground electrode off (highly unlikely IMO).

Is BRP afraid given the the low or non-existent skill set of some of their buyers, that they're basing the recommendations on the lower denominator & taking this out of our hands?

·
old ski-dool
3,313 Posts
I think it's more about the almighty dollar. Add a couple of alpha numeric characters to a part # and charge more money.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From NGK:

• Ensure plug is gapped according to vehicle manufacturers specification (fig 1)

• Multi ground electrode and precious metal plugs should not be regapped - visual inspection only
I don't think the latter applies to either the ES or ECS plugs.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Run ES plugs and gap your own, make sure they're the solid tip so it doesn't come off in the boot. And save yourself a few $.

Plug the plus numbers into the NGK website, it's self explanatoryz
I've been buying the solid top (or crimping "thread on") for years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts