Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2014 1200 Renegade X with a spark plug that is broken off in the cylinder head. It broke right where the crush washer meets the body of the plug. There is still some of the porcelain inside the threaded part that is still in the cylinder head .If we use an easy out the porcelain part might end up inside the cylinder.

If the cylinder head has to come off, can it be done in the sled????? I'm thinking torquing the cylinder head bolts will be a real bear with the motor sitting on the bench.

Any body done a head removable on there sled ??

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Look up Ford 5.4 spark plug removal. Been breaking them off for more than 10 years in them POS motors.
They're like porcelain recyclers.

·
Boosted Eskimo
1,994 Posts
You Can get the head off. With motor in sled. The hardest part is the valvecover removal.
But move youre stearing post Will make it a bit easyer.

---
Sent from my ice cold iphone from the other side of the pond using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
If you look back a7 did his ported head build with engine in the sled just removing the head. It is also not that hard to torque the bolts with the motor on the bench.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Here's a thought, kinda shade tree, ******* engineering, McGivering, call it what you will, Does anyone think its possible to avoid removing the head by using a shop vac to get what ever porcelain, metal etc that may fall into the cylinder during plug removal. Never heard back of anyone trying it. I would think taking a peek inside the cylinder with a borescope would be in order before feeling comfy nothing was left in the cylinder

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
is it possible to roll it over to make sure that piston is at the top use an easy out if possible and do what killer said,,use the vac to suck out debris

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Not sure if I would want to bring the piston to the top. The plug is broke off at the crush ring there may already be porcelain and the electrode laying on top of the piston. Gotta leave some room for the tip if the easy out too.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
i wouldnt take the chance of risking a piece being left behind by doing it on the motor

but seeing you are in ontario if you need the cam and crank locking tools to borrow i have them

·
Registered
549 Posts
Any seasoned Ford tech can definitely help you. Any porcelain left behind in the cylinder will blow out when you crank it over without the spark plug in it. The porcelain won't hurt a thing. You would need the Ford tool to get the left over spark plug out though. Do you have tons of miles on this sled. Normally these plugs are good for 15 or 20 k.

·
Registered
13,545 Posts
I've removed many broken Ford spark plugs. Unfortunately, the Ford tool won't be much help in this case as the threaded part of the plug is still in the head. But the initial approach to deal with the porcelain would be similar. Use a punch to drive the porcelain downwards until you have room to bite into the plug with an easy out. The ground strap in the plug should bend but hold the porcelain from dropping into the cylinder. Cut the easy out so it isn't any longer than it has to be. Maybe cut an old spark plug at the break point to allow you to size up your easy out on the bench. Make sure you get the centre electrode out if it drops into the cylinder, small pieces of porcelain I would not be so worried about. A shop vac adapted down to a small hose could be used to suck out any debris. Check with a bore scope. Fire it up first with he plug out. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
Killer-Beez doesn't have a bad idea....

You could also take a fitting from a compression gauge and see if I could take some tubing and seal one end to the fitting and the other end to the shop vac to create as tight a vacuum as possible after your are done to get any small particles sucked out of there. Then I would use the scope to check for debris.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK , thanks for the different tips, these plugs are small in diameter so I'm not sure a bore scope would fit through the opening.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
How did the spark plug break off? That's not a common occurrence with the 1200, or so it seems.

Lot's miles between changes?

Just curious.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts