Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the area that I live we have about a 3 month season for sledding and the trails will likely be closed a fair portion of that time. Around here, when snow is on the ground you better take advantage of it because in a couple of days it could be gone. With that being said, here is my dilemma. I currently have 3 sleds and I only really have a use for 2. I am torn between selling one or possibly keeping them all just in case I would have a problem with one. During the season the dealers are swamped and there is a good chance it would take awhile to fix a problem that I could not handle myself. 2 of the sleds are under factory warranty and will go to the dealer if there is a problem

So here is the question for the folks that have a similar short season. Would you keep a spare sled if you could easily afford to?

·
Registered
697 Posts
So here is the question for the folks that have a similar short season. Would you keep a spare sled if you could easily afford to?
Absolutely! Can't waste that limited riding time because of a sled in the shop. Of course my problem is that there is no more room in the garage, but if I had the space and $$$ were not a concern, then sure, why not?

·
Registered
407 Posts
In the area that I live we have about a 3 month season for sledding and the trails will likely be closed a fair portion of that time. Around here, when snow is on the ground you better take advantage of it because in a couple of days it could be gone. With that being said, here is my dilemma. I currently have 3 sleds and I only really have a use for 2. I am torn between selling one or possibly keeping them all just in case I would have a problem with one. During the season the dealers are swamped and there is a good chance it would take awhile to fix a problem that I could not handle myself. 2 of the sleds are under factory warranty and will go to the dealer if there is a problem

I wouldn't think twice unless there is another party involved. I kept 2 sleds for a couple of years but more so that I could take friends who had never tried the sport or couldn't afford or willing to pay the steep price to rent. I have to travel at least 4 hours to get to any decent trails or amount of snow. I buy a new sled every year to minimize the risk of being without a sled since I try to go almost every weekend there is snow. I went down to one sled last year and had a close call with a recall. The dealer called me while I was on a trip up North and said I needed to bring the sled in for a recall. I told him I would be back the next week to ride so I couldn't afford to be without my sled. He said no problem and there was a good chance the part would not to be replaced since everyone he inspected was good. Low and behold, it was bad and the day before I was to leave for the next trip I did my 4th follow up call to check the status and he said they were back ordered. After several minutes chewing him out, I left a message for the owner of the Dealership. After calling him 3 times we finally connected. He agreed to take the part from a display sled. Needless to say keep the spare if it is an option.

·
Registered
6,254 Posts
I'd keep the spare for sure. Or at the very least sell it and get a cheaper spare. I put 350 miles on my spare last season! I would have missed some of the best trails we've ever had around here if I didn't have a spare.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I kept a spare when I bought new last year. Similar situation, limited snow and it would be a sled for a friend or family to ride.

Well the unexpected, the new sled went down and my friend was riding my spare. I was short sledded. If you can afford it, you can never have too many snowmobiles.

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
I've always had at least one spare for every reason mentioned here already. Plus the fact that when my trips to get to good snow are so far away, its nice to have a spare for those also. Seasons are just too short, would hate to have one down and not be able to ride.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I will always have two sleds in the garage, for all the reasons above also. If you don't need to sell for financial reasons, keep them.

Now if we could only have some extra snow laying around.

·
The Legend
716 Posts
I will always have two sleds in the garage, for all the reasons above also. If you don't need to sell for financial reasons, keep them.

Now if we could only have some extra snow laying around.
I totally agree with that one!Got my 2nd one last year and I wont ever go back to just one! Both paid in cash so no worries for financial reasons to ever sell

·
I need a life
45,284 Posts
I have a spare sled and love it. It is an old 87 Poo. It is a great beater.
One of the reasons I keep my old sled is for my son's friends. Some of them have never been on a sled and it is a great way to get them into the sport without risking damage to my good sleds.

·
Can thread basher, DILLIGAF!
1,378 Posts
this is part of the reason i was so gun hoe this year of gettin the wife a sled again, easier to call it hers then my spare, at least to her anyway!!

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all for the input. I was leaning that way anyway but the posts help me validate my decision.

3 sleds it is!

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
I have 2 also. no biggy, they can collect dust for all i care. I dont even wanna ride the rev to keep it in good shape but the ride is so much better it will be hard not to.
steve

·
super duper advanced member
1,367 Posts
I got down to one sled this summer and I was getting worried since it's set up for watercross. Found my new primary sled today so the back-up will slowly make its way into the garage to be converted to "winter back up" status as soon as my new sled is set up. Most sleds I've had at once - 6. I was on a ATV kick this summer had 2 sport quads.

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
It's great to have a spare.
My 2 sleds are nearly identical so I can always have at least 1 running and ready to go.

·
Registered
367 Posts

I added a rev 550x as an extra sled. For others to ride or the fan cooled for trail work or marginal condtions.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If your primary sled is under warranty then you have to take it to the dealer to keep your warranty, If you have extra space keep her for emergency's or other reasons.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Always, Always have a spare (wifes sled). You never know, hit a tree, bad gas, friend, broken rave, list is endless.............

·
The Legend
716 Posts
Thanks to all for the input. I was leaning that way anyway but the posts help me validate my decision.

3 sleds it is!
Glad you decided to keep your back up!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts