Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SOME GOOD TOOLS I HAVE FOUND USEFUL.

6.25 GALLON LIQUID EXTRACTOR FROM HARBOR FREIGHT. Just attach air hose, and suck out any fluid.

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-1-4-quarter-gallon-oil-extractor-46149.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SODA BLASTER FROM HARBOR FREIGHT

15lb

http://www.harborfreight.com/15-lb-portable-soda-blaster-60802-9946.html

40lb

http://www.harborfreight.com/40-lb-portable-soda-blaster-60801-9868.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

110lb ABRASIVE BLASTER

http://www.harborfreight.com/110-lb-pressurized-abrasive-blaster-60696-10377.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

40lb GLASS BEAD CABINET

http://www.harborfreight.com/40-Lb-Capacity-Floor-Blast-Cabinet-68893.html

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
I'm looking for a small parts washer, for bearings and stuff. Harbor freights has very poor ratings. Can't a guy make his own? Or what is a better quality small one?

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
I have the 15lb soda blaster, and use it a LOT more than I thought I would. Cleans the surface without eroding it. Works great on caked up powervalves, etc

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm looking for a small parts washer, for bearings and stuff. Harbor freights has very poor ratings. Can't a guy make his own? Or what is a better quality small one?
Sure, buy a Plastic/Metal 30-50-100 Gallon Barrel off Craigslist for $5, cut in half. I have had very good luck with HF Stuff myself. They do have some stuff that is cheezy, but I have found many good things there also cheap, and do the job they were intended for, and if it breaks, they usually replace it. I haven't had any trouble, but a buddy of mine bought one of there cheap Cable Winchs for $65. He dragged more junk cars onto his car trailer, most with flat, or no tires at all, and hauled them to the scrap yards, and burnt out three, HF replaced them all free. The Box said free wheeling, so many pounds. He just got tired going to another town to replace them, and bout a 10,000 winch for $350. Me, I've had mine now for 6-7 years with no problems. Sometimes you have to look at who's telling the story about HF Tools.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Sure, buy a Plastic/Metal 30-50-100 Gallon Barrel off Craigslist for $5, cut in half. I have had very good luck with HF Stuff myself. They do have some stuff that is cheezy, but I have found many good things there also cheap, and do the job they were intended for, and if it breaks, they usually replace it. I haven't had any trouble, but a buddy of mine bought one of there cheap Cable Winchs for $65. He dragged more junk cars onto his car trailer, most with flat, or no tires at all, and hauled them to the scrap yards, and burnt out three, HF replaced them all free. The Box said free wheeling, so many pounds. He just got tired going to another town to replace them, and bout a 10,000 winch for $350. Me, I've had mine now for 6-7 years with no problems. Sometimes you have to look at who's telling the story about HF Tools.
"who's telling the story about HF tools"? I'm assuming you're referring to Professional Mechanics who need their tools to perform for their livelihood? Or perhaps someone (like ur friend) who doesn't want to waste their time exchanging broken, cheaply made products for the exact same thing. Warrantied or not, what good is a tool if it won't complete the task it's designed for? I realize there is a place for some of their products, and some perform adequately for occassional use at a very economical price. For me, I'll pay extra for a quality tool that will provide years of trouble free service.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"who's telling the story about HF tools"? I'm assuming you're referring to Professional Mechanics who need their tools to perform for their livelihood? Or perhaps someone (like ur friend) who doesn't want to waste their time exchanging broken, cheaply made products for the exact same thing. Warrantied or not, what good is a tool if it won't complete the task it's designed for? I realize there is a place for some of their products, and some perform adequately for occassional use at a very economical price. For me, I'll pay extra for a quality tool that will provide years of trouble free service.
Since there are probably 1% Professional Mechanics, to 99% Back Yard Mechanics in this world. It doesn't matter, if you buy an Expensive Tool, or a cheap Tool, if that Mechicanic Abuse's that said Tool. HF does carry Brand Name Tools also, that Professional Mechanics, Body Shop People, Carpenters, Plumbers, etc., use. Really Read, my post about my friend who totally ABUSED them cheap WINCH'S. They didn't Burn out right away, he dragged many a JUNK CAR/TRUCK onto his car trailer, before they burned up, and he then went 45 miles one way to exchange them for another one. They Performed better than expected. The Box said, Free Wheeling Weight, that means ALL Tires Aired UP, Turning, Brakes not RUSTED tight. He pulled Cars/Trucks that didn't even have wheels on them onto his trailer. Like anything, you have to have a little common sense, when your buying anything, and know the purpose it will be used. An Expensive Set of Tools, doesn't make a Good Mechanic! I personally, have never had any trouble, with any HF stuff I have bought, that I can think of.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I've bought several tools from HF and have had really good luck. As was previously stated, some of their stuff is pretty cheap in quality, but they do have a lot of good specific tools that you won't find most places. I bought a parts washer from them 3 years ago and it runs like a champ.... I also bought a drywall lift and a hoist that I mounted in my garage ceiling to lift skids to do track and hyfax changes, stud installs and a myriad of other things with and its probably one of the best investments I've made. I stop at HF probably once a month and pick up obscure things I can't find immediately available anywhere else.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the 15lb soda blaster, and use it a LOT more than I thought I would. Cleans the surface without eroding it. Works great on caked up powervalves, etc
If I do have a Bitch about any HF stuff, is some of the Tools, don't have very good Instructions on how to use them. What Air Pressure do you use with your Soda Blaster? Do you Buy SAM's Club, bulk bags(Cheap), or use the HF/NH Northern Soda?

Soda Blasting doesn't hurt Glass, Plastic, Chrome, rubber, it just takes off the Paint/Dirt. You can strip a pop can.

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
If I do have a "edit for bad language" about any HF stuff, is some of the Tools, don't have very good Instructions on how to use them. What Air Pressure do you use with your Soda Blaster? Do you Buy SAM's Club, bulk bags(Cheap), or use the HF/NH Northern Soda?

Soda Blasting doesn't hurt Glass, Plastic, Chrome, rubber, it just takes off the Paint/Dirt. You can strip a pop can.
Instructions aren't a big selling point for me. I use about 75lbs on the regulator attached to the blaster.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts