Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of buddies and I recently took a trip to Cochrane and then onto Hearst, we unloaded our sleds in Monetville near Sudbury. During the trip I noticd a noise coming from the clutch side, upon further inspection I noticed that the govenor cup retaining bolts were loose. For those that don't know where it is, it is part of the primary and the bolts I'm talking about are the ones around the primary retaining bolt. The bolts are one way and not ment to be tighten or loosened outside manufacturing. In Cochrane i called my dealer and he said that he had one in the shop with the exact same problem right now. So a dealer in Cochrane replaced the govenor cup and I was back on my way. About 2 miles down the trail BOOOOMM big time blew the motor. Back at the dealer the failure was traced back to one of two possiblities either the vibration of the govenor cup caused the crank to fail or what I think was that the pto shaft seal went from the movemnt and leaned the engine out. Either way it took out both pistons, crank and cracked the case. Bombi is covering it, put cut my trip real short. To check the primary grab the outer half (the clutch must be cold as I was unable to detect any movement when warm) and try and move it back and forth while looking at the govenor bolts around the primary retaining bolt. If there is ANY movement get it check right away. I will post some trip PICS ( what I have ) later.

·
Registered
541 Posts
rev madman said:
A couple of buddies and I recently took a trip to Cochrane and then onto Hearst, we unloaded our sleds in Monetville near Sudbury. During the trip I noticd a noise coming from the clutch side, upon further inspection I noticed that the govenor cup retaining bolts were loose. For those that don't know where it is, it is part of the primary and the bolts I'm talking about are the ones around the primary retaining bolt. The bolts are one way and not ment to be tighten or loosened outside manufacturing. In Cochrane i called my dealer and he said that he had one in the shop with the exact same problem right now. So a dealer in Cochrane replaced the govenor cup and I was back on my way. About 2 miles down the trail BOOOOMM big time blew the motor. Back at the dealer the failure was traced back to one of two possiblities either the vibration of the govenor cup caused the crank to fail or what I think was that the pto shaft seal went from the movemnt and leaned the engine out. Either way it took out both pistons, crank and cracked the case. Bombi is covering it, put cut my trip real short. To check the primary grab the outer half (the clutch must be cold as I was unable to detect any movement when warm) and try and move it back and forth while looking at the govenor bolts around the primary retaining bolt. If there is ANY movement get it check right away. I will post some trip PICS ( what I have ) later.
[snapback]295817[/snapback]​
thanks for the heads up..it's warnings like this that help avoid major problems down the road...sorry your trip was cut short though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts