Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
what was the NORD-LOCK number. I (we) may have them in stock for cheaper than Fastenal along with any other bolts screws you need. We are a NORD-LOCK distributer in St. Paul, MN. Don't have much in stoc for stainless, but do have yellow zinc in #10(3/16), 1/4,5/16 , and 3/8.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi! I broke a bolt on my 05 Renegade, 600 HO and messed up the hole pretty bad and still dont have the bolt out. Any ideas that dont involve explosives, a deep lake or a sledge hammer? Im not even sure where to start from here. Thanks!

What are the chances that one Y pipe, clutch side, top right, will hold up without the forth bolt?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Center punch, drill (3/16" carbide drill works best) and use an easy-out. That's the brute force method, but that's about the only way to doo it. Sorry, but that's been my experience. If it makes it easier, pull the cylinders and put them on the bench so you don't have to doo it between all the other parts inside the sled.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, I broke a little piece off the ear where the bolt attaches toward the outside. SOOOOOO, that was using a drill and an easy out. The cylinder is FUBAR at that one little corner, so Im going to pull it and bring it to a machine shop. Has anyone had any luck with a machine shop doing some sort of work like that? Can they fix the corner, drill out whats left of the bolt, fill it in and redrill?
Thanks for the prompt response! I should have started this project this past spring, but I didnt think that it was gonna turn into this! I bought the sled used from a dealer and it had an aftermarket exhaust on it. It was pretty loud, so I wanted the origional exhaust on it. They put it on and after a few hunderd miles, I had oil all over the place. Turns out, the place I bought it went tits up, so Im on my own anyway. Thought I had it licked until I broke the bolt off. Borrowed a service manual from a buddy of mine. He's gonna help me with it. Ill try to get a picture or two, you wont believe the mess that I made out of it........

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
Well, I broke a little piece off the ear where the bolt attaches toward the outside. SOOOOOO, that was using a drill and an easy out. The cylinder is FUBAR at that one little corner, so Im going to pull it and bring it to a machine shop. Has anyone had any luck with a machine shop doing some sort of work like that? Can they fix the corner, drill out whats left of the bolt, fill it in and redrill?
Thanks for the prompt response! I should have started this project this past spring, but I didnt think that it was gonna turn into this! I bought the sled used from a dealer and it had an aftermarket exhaust on it. It was pretty loud, so I wanted the origional exhaust on it. They put it on and after a few hunderd miles, I had oil all over the place. Turns out, the place I bought it went tits up, so Im on my own anyway. Thought I had it licked until I broke the bolt off. Borrowed a service manual from a buddy of mine. He's gonna help me with it. Ill try to get a picture or two, you wont believe the mess that I made out of it........
If you can get it out, the cylinder can always be welded and redrilled and tapped for the bolt.. but by the time you pay to do that, you might as well find a good used 600HO cylinder on Ebay, they usually go for around $200 bucks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Isnt there alot more work with a new or different cylinder head then using the old one? Maybe Im an idiot, okay, that goes without saying, but dont you need to have the pistons honed and the head bored so they match?

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
Isnt there alot more work with a new or different cylinder head then using the old one? Maybe Im an idiot, okay, that goes without saying, but dont you need to have the pistons honed and the head bored so they match?
Nope, the cylinder is not part of the head... the head sits on top of the cylinder.

All you need to do is get a good used 600HO cylinder off Ebay, take and have your old cylinder dial bore gauged as well as the new one - a local machine shop can do this for you. It should be the same diameter...even if they renicasil them, they usuallly take it back to the stock bore dimension. All you do to clean up a new cylinder is scrub it with a scotch bright pad... Clean it well in hot soapy water and you can just install it... You don't do anything with the piston but check to make sure the ring is in the right position, gap is lined up with the anti rotation pin.. compress the ring with your fingers and slide the cylinder back on.. You don't have to take off the other cylinder... you just cut the base gasket in half..and put a new half with the same number of holes (located in the center of the gasket) back on.. before sliding the new cylinder on.

You don't bore heads.... you only bore cylinders.. I say that but if you wanted to make a 700 out of a 600 HO and you wanted to use the 600 HO head, you would have to open up the diameter to accept the 700 piston bore.. but that is another subject..

I just looked on ebay and there is only one 600HO cylinder on there now and it is a bad one, needs to be renicked... But if you wait a few days to a week or two..... there will be a good 600HO cylinder on ebay that you can buy for about $200. Maybe a little more or a little less. You just need a good stock 600HO cylinder from any year but it can't be an SDI cylinder.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nope, the cylinder is not part of the head... the head sits on top of the cylinder.

All you need to do is get a good used 600HO cylinder off Ebay, take and have your old cylinder dial bore gauged as well as the new one - a local machine shop can do this for you. It should be the same diameter...even if they renicasil them, they usuallly take it back to the stock bore dimension. All you do to clean up a new cylinder is scrub it with a scotch bright pad... Clean it well in hot soapy water and you can just install it... You don't do anything with the piston but check to make sure the ring is in the right position, gap is lined up with the anti rotation pin.. compress the ring with your fingers and slide the cylinder back on.. You don't have to take off the other cylinder... you just cut the base gasket in half..and put a new half with the same number of holes (located in the center of the gasket) back on.. before sliding the new cylinder on.

You don't bore heads.... you only bore cylinders.. I say that but if you wanted to make a 700 out of a 600 HO and you wanted to use the 600 HO head, you would have to open up the diameter to accept the 700 piston bore.. but that is another subject..

I just looked on ebay and there is only one 600HO cylinder on there now and it is a bad one, needs to be renicked... But if you wait a few days to a week or two..... there will be a good 600HO cylinder on ebay that you can buy for about $200. Maybe a little more or a little less. You just need a good stock 600HO cylinder from any year but it can't be an SDI cylinder.
Ive got a guy at a machine shop. Im gonna have him look first. Get an idea on price. After that, I have another guy that I drive by every day. usedsnowmobileparts.net. He's getting a little tired of me but its business I guess.
I really appreciate all the help and the info. Im selling this sled to my "lady friend" since Im old I cant call her a girl, anyway, and anxiously awaiting the delivery of my 09 summit x. so, if I ever want to get any again, its gotta get fixed right.
I appreciate all the help and the info you've offered. Like I said, Im old, but Im new to this type of stuff. Thanks again!

I pulled the air box tonight but had other crap to do, Ill probably tackle the disassembly on thursday night.

·
Registered
177 Posts
whats the best way you guys use to even get the y-pipe bolts off? I need to replace my y-pipe gaskets soon and i dont even know how to get the inner bolts off because there's no room to even get an allen wrench in there... how did u guys do it?

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
whats the best way you guys use to even get the y-pipe bolts off? I need to replace my y-pipe gaskets soon and i dont even know how to get the inner bolts off because there's no room to even get an allen wrench in there... how did u guys do it?
You use a socket with a ball headed allen bit in it... or you can take and shorten the short leg on an allen wrench with a die grinder and a cut off wheel. Besure and take the cotton picking shields off before you start trying....to remove the bolts..

·
Registered
91 Posts
http://www.nord-lock.com/default.asp?url=2.16.37

Just put some on my y-pipe today. No loctite is needed.

Not cheap though. I think a bag of 25 washers was $10 at Fastenal.

Here's the link to the S-K 5mm ball end wrench you'll want to have to take off those bolts.

45965 3/8" Drive Metric Long Ball Hex Bit Socket 5mm 5mm 6.06 81722 In-Stock $ 17.19

http://www.skhandtool.com/productcatalog.c...ftoken=52451843
I have some (8) for $15 shipped free.
[email protected] paypal.
Skip
Info here:
http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...=0#entry1706654

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is the one I busted when trying to get them all snugged up.
50 bucks to have it drilled and welded and retapped. 100 bucks worth of gaskets and seals to put it back together. Not to mention the hours.
And they wonder why I drink?
Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
540 Posts
See my avatar it?s a Top Alcohol Hydro it runs a 5.43 @ 213mph in a ? mile
I safety wire almost every bolt in the thing I have never had a bolt come loose. In 12 years Thank God, It works its cheep and if you drop a nord washer you have to look for two halves in the bottom of your sled. Lots of fun!

61 - 80 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.