Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just told that MI DNR is cracking down on the decibel level of aftermarket exhaust on sleds. Quoted from the following link: http://www.michigan.gov/som/0,4669,7-192-29938_34758-370744--,00.html

• For snowmobiles manufactured after July 1, 1977, and sold or offered for sale in Michigan, 78 decibels at 50 feet, as measured using the 2003 Society of Automotive Engineers standard J192.
  • For a stationary snowmobile manufactured after July 1, 1980, and sold or offered for sale in Michigan, 88 decibels at 13.1 feet, as measured using the 2004 Society of Automotive Engineers standard J2567.

So, I wonder where I can get a decibel reading so I know... I have an MBRP race can, so I am sure I am over the limit(s).

What do you think? My wife heard from a friend that 4 people SHE knows have already been fined during this past winter.

-Doo02-

·
Registered
16,788 Posts
Yup has been multiple threads about this already. Some have been locked because they weren't keep civil.

From what I've seen/heard the DNR has not cracked down as hard as they said they were going to.

I would just remove your can.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Riding in Michigan this year I couldn't believe the amount of sleds with cans, they were everywhere. I don't think the state is doing that much to detour people as of to make a change.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I would like to know decibal of stock Artic Cat 800 two stroke we have a 2013 in our group and it sounds great but is kinda loud, 100% stock. Also Polaris 600 and 800's sound pretty sweet stock, of course everything sounds good when riding my 15 etech sewing machine, but it sure is a fast sewing machine.

·
Team Adrenaline
950 Posts
Riding in Michigan this year I couldn't believe the amount of sleds with cans, they were everywhere. I don't think the state is doing that much to detour people as of to make a change.
I didnt see one dnr in the up and 100s of sleds with cans.... cant stand it

·
Stay to the right, in your lane and slow down.
1,526 Posts
Yep.

The message is this: If you are barking loud with mod exhaust then should expect to get a ticket + $ fine. If you are stock then you should expect to be fine.

There are limited resources to enforce this however, my sources tell me that it's pretty easy to identify the obnoxious barkers going by (or rather you can hear them coming from quite a distance) versus a stock machine. Don't think there is a huge dragnet in the works either but really there does not have to be. Random deployments to a few strategic areas for sound measurements on "suspect" machines will scoop up a fair amount of "barking sleds". As the loud sled operators get more and more tickets the word will spread more and more and folks will come to the conclusion that it's simply not worth the price of the "can" to risk getting a ticket for it.

I hope this happens sooner versus later so to reduce the risk of trail access loss especially through towns and resi areas.

Think over time folks will place more emphasis on clutching and tracks to help them achieve their performance goals and still have a quiet sled which will not risk them getting a ticket.

My .0002

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think it's great. Instead of handing out fines though, they should have a log splitter converted into a crusher, and just crush the can into a pancake right on the side of the trail.
They just gonna drag a log splitter behind them on the sled? LOL

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I wish that they would get a fine and not be able to ride it till it gets a stock muffler back on it. Park it right on the trail and come back and fix it.

·
Summer Sucks!!!!!
8,989 Posts
They tried this a few years ago here in Colorado, I was a test dummy for them with my full mod 860 and my custom can. They came out and set up to check my sled. They said, ok we're ready start it up, I said do I need to unload it from the trailer? Does it need to be on snow or pavement or the trailer??? No answer. I started it up, they said it needs to be tested at 4K rpm. I said, no can do unless you want me to pick-up the back of my sled, as the clutch engages at 3600. They said rev up until clutch engagement....so I did. They said shut it off, so I did. I asked, what did the decibel gauge read? They said 82db, I asked what's the limit? They responded, 88db. They loaded up and drove off, have not seen or heard from anyone that had ever been tested/stopped/ticketed, ever. Not sure what that was about. I just can't say enough about how great we mountain riders truly doo have it! None of that trail closure crap to be concerned with around these parts. :smile_old:

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Was in the UP last month and saw/heard many sleds with cans on them. I'm pretty sure every single one of them made sure to burp it extra hard when leaving the gas station or bar or where ever we would stop.

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
Not all cans are created equal. Some are not much more than an air chamber and barky loud. Some are baffled correctly and not any louder than stock, even at full throttle. They are not going to train the fish police to be on the trail with a dB meter and start writing tickets. Simple, if it aint stock, you get a ticket. They can tell if its stock or not.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Fro what I have heard and read is the LEO's will have meters by next year. I don't know if it is true or not. They said on the news here they were writing tickets at the I 500 for noise this year. As far as the money goes I bet it will come from the trail fund

1 - 18 of 18 Posts