Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a single mention of the XR or 1200 in the webcast and the ski-doo site crashed immediately after. I don't even know if a 1200 will still be offered. What I do know is they don't really care.

If Polaris offered a performance 4-stroke in the new chassis, I'd have one on order right now.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The XR and the 1200 are so good they can't find a way to improve them from what I see.

I have 3 of them and I can't come up with anything to change except I could use a higher Seat.

That's why I have my own Boat Cushion.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So what do you HATE so much about the 1200 that you are ready to bail and go Poo?
Hate is a strong word. I really like this sled, but you have to consider that I've owned it for 6 seasons. That's a long time to trade up to the same sled. I left Polaris when they ignored their customers, no reason to stay with ski-doo for doing the same. Unfortunately, there is nothing to compete with it, so they have no motivation to spend any development dollars.
What I really hope is the owners finally cash out and the family takes control.

·
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.....
1,570 Posts
Year after year, the 1200s give me the best resale. RT1000s were the worst. I don't expect this year to be any different.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
The only reason I traded my 2009 1200 TNT is I wanted a Renegade with R motion. I paid about $10,000 for the 2009 & got $6200 (Canadian ) on a trade for my 2014 sled. It's the best trade in value I've got on any sled so far , if something exciting was in the showroom today you would have less people wanting your used sled. It's a double edged sword.

·
Banned
7,722 Posts
Maybe the Viper will wake them up
I wish Cat and Yamaha had a sled that would push Doo a little. Unfortunately neither one has been able to answer the 1200 since 09. I'll bet Doo laughed their butts off when Cat and Yamaha joined forces. Two manufacturers joining forces still can't build a sled as good as a 6 year old Doo model! What a joke both Cat and Yamaha have become.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
The viper is a way better sled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Then go buy one!! They should be at a great price. In Ontario there are a ton of then for sale , new in the box. I don't think I've ever seen so many left over sleds . The last time I've seen anything like this is when Polaris came out with the 900 Fusion , three years later dealers were still sitting on them & almost giving them away.

·
Registered
13,874 Posts
You forgot about the Polaris 750 turbo.. Those could be had for a song there were so many left over.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I bailed on mine and did pretty well resale wise, not great, but not too bad either. Why I bailed......I don't like the automatic brakes that the 1200 offers (EB), I don't like the tall rider center of gravity. High seat means more wind which means cold ride. I ride on snow and its usually cold so..... OF the 3 major beefs I listed the biggest offender to me is the high rider cg. I ride groomed flat trails with high speeds and like to rail through turns, no need for high cg for that. Fine for ditch banging but not for my riding preference. Maybe someday ski-doo and others makes will build a sled that's not only built for stand up ditch bang riding, but for hp groomed trail riding like they used to.. Other than the above, was a great sled with excellent reliability. This late in season you almost have to give them away so just wait till fall. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
11,990 Posts
Then go buy one!! They should be at a great price. In Ontario there are a ton of then for sale , new in the box. I don't think I've ever seen so many left over sleds . The last time I've seen anything like this is when Polaris came out with the 900 Fusion , three years later dealers were still sitting on them & almost giving them away.
The dealer I bought my sled from sells Yamaha and Ski doo, during our talk when I took delivery, the owner told me they sold almost 200 sleds for the '13-'14 season and 14 or 15 of them were Vipers.
Those Polaris 750 turbos Tic mentioned were heavy battleships but a great sled for high milers, I've got a buddy that had one that was tuned by Martin at Precision Sports, it made 180ish HP and was virtually bulletproof. He just sold it with almost 16,000 miles and the only problem in those miles was the need to replace the primary clutch.

HotRod Lincoln, have you checked out the competition with regards to seating position? I went into my purchase with an open mind and rode a Cat 800, a Yamaha and a Polaris Switchback and they all had a taller seating position than the 1200 I ended up with. In fact it was one of the items on my list that kept me on a ski doo again.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
The dealer I bought my sled from sells Yamaha and Ski doo, during our talk when I took delivery, the owner told me they sold almost 200 sleds for the '13-'14 season and 14 or 15 of them were Vipers.
Those Polaris 750 turbos Tic mentioned were heavy battleships but a great sled for high milers, I've got a buddy that had one that was tuned by Martin at Precision Sports, it made 180ish HP and was virtually bulletproof. He just sold it with almost 16,000 miles and the only problem in those miles was the need to replace the primary clutch.

HotRod Lincoln, have you checked out the competition with regards to seating position? I went into my purchase with an open mind and rode a Cat 800, a Yamaha and a Polaris Switchback and they all had a taller seating position than the 1200 I ended up with. In fact it was one of the items on my list that kept me on a ski doo again.
You're exactly right TT.......they are all ditch banger sleds now and no one makes a sled for HP groomed trail. Todays sleds have become ATV with ski's. This is why I sold my 1200, and happily kept my 011 f8 which is the last of sleds that maintain reasonable rider CG. IF I had to buy a new current MY sled today, it would be another ski-doo. I can only hope that someday they will realize many of us with cash to spend want a lower rider CG sled for fast riding on groomed trail.....at least give us the option. Give us dipped footwells instead of stupid high seats so we can have comfort and lower rider cg.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts