Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Hoping for snow
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone

Most of my snowmobiling has been with a full face helmet. I picked up a skidoo snox helmet for $50cdn several years ago at the snow show. I figured for the price it was worth a try, even with skidoo goggles I found a lot of air coming through the foam into my eyes. Never had a fogging issue while moving but the cold stream of air caused my eyes to water a lot and had a negative impact on my rides. No matter how tight I tried to pull the goggles to my face any cross wind would penetrate easily. The skidoo helmet has been downgraded to an ATV helmet, a breeze is fine in warm weather. Personally I much prefer the tint options with goggles and the ability to adjust to different lighting conditions easily. Full face doesn't provide many options in this aspect. My question to all you open face helmet guys. Is there a helmet/google setup that will not blast cold air at my eyeballs? I already have an unwind balaclava. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
I run a large Scorpion VX-14, which is the same as some of the Doo helmets, Pro-Vue goggles and have no wind intrusion either into the helmet or into the goggles. None-nada. I can ride down to +5 F on the trails all day long without a balaclava. I'm lucky my Klim jacket zips right up to the bottom of the helmet and breth box so have no need for the balaclava. But when I get below +5F I need the balaclava only from some slight cold at the neck where the jacket meets the helmet.

It's the best combo I have ever came across. Also can take the helmet off and on without even removing the goggles from the helmet. They fit perfect into the eyeport and breathbox of the helmet. Pro-Vue's also have the ability to change lens tint by just buttoning on a colored lens over the clear lens. Swap tint with the helmet on in less than 30 seconds. Does not get much better than that.

·
Fuzzy but not Blue........
10,667 Posts
Thicker the goggle foam he better and a good tight seal, some better than others depends on your melon fit.

-groVEr

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
make sure you are using a dual pane lens. The goggle frame should fit tight against your face. If the goggles lens has holes in it that is where your air is coming in. Scoot Turboflow have large slits at top of goggle lens. You could just tape these holes/slits with duct tape and see if that helps.

·
Hoping for snow
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My lenses didn't have air holes that I can remember. The thin layer of foam from the frame to the denser foam on your face was where I suspected the air was coming in. It looked extremely thin.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Face tape from Pro-Vue works very well too to protect your facial skin from small leaks between goggle foam and your skin. You can buy it directly from Pro-Vue in a roll or they also sell pre-cut strips.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Since I updated to a Klim Covert balaclava I no longer have to use Face Tape because the Klim balaclava covers more of your skin. I highly recommend this balaclava. It is expensive but well worth it. Very quality made piece...

·
Registered
799 Posts
a cheap helmet and goggle combo will usually mean frostbite and/or fogging/iciing issues.

the unwind is a great balaclava, but it does a piss poor job of breath deflecting. I was going to try the Klim covert, but I use a no-fog mask when its really cold and a helmet breath box when its average cold (-10c ish)

duct tape is your best friend!

I have used Smith Snow warp goggles, as well as 509 Sinisters and now onto my favorite so far: Scott Hustle SnoX.

I have duct taped every pair. The Scott's have by far the biggest foam coverage, great fit and ventilation, which means they are COLD! they have a foam vent around the entire goggle I taped up, no more cold air, the lens can still vent and I had no problems with fogging. I run 2 pairs, 1 with more duct tape than the other.

try it out and experiment, but often the problem is the fit between the goggles and the helmet - too many gaps and you need to try a different pair of goggs.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I use same Scott Hustle goggles as well. Have used them since they came out. But use Face Tape from pro Vue it works very well to keep your facial skin covered and to eliminate frost bite from small air leaks between goggle frame and your face. I use only the clear lens because clear allows most light to get thru and gives best vision. Make sure u use dual pane lens

·
Hoping for snow
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My goggles were at the cottage so I wasn't able to verify them until now. They do have vents on the tops of the lenses. While moving at slow speeds I had no issues with fogging even with the unwind, it was only while sitting still that I had any fogging on the outside but it soon cleared up once I moved again. I believe the thin foam between the frame and denser foam is the source of air leakage, also the fit into the helmet. I thought with a skidoo helmet and skidoo branded goggles the fit would be right. I also bought a pair of Scott Xi light sensitive goggles. Both pairs had air leaks into my eyes. The Scotts were worse for that over the skidoo lenses. My skin was fine from the cold no issues with frostbite, that was why I bought the unwind with full face and nose coverage. But there is still enough opening between helmet and goggles that a strong cross breeze enters the goggles right in the corner of my eye. I tried using my atv goggles in the snox helmet over the summer and then jammed them into a old full face with the shield removed and noticeably less air leakage into the eyes. The Toronto snow show is this weekend so I'll be going down on saturday and see what deals I find. And what my wallet feels like that day lol. Unfortunately I don't have the ability to test the taping method before the show. It's definitely something I'll keep in mind in the future. The helmet was $50 years ago at the skidoo clearance booth. It was cheap enough to try snox&goggle setup. I'll be using for ATV riding in the summer at least. Thanks for the help guys. I'll have my dootalk hat on at the show.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I just got hustle sno x and have also noticed the same light airflow causing eyes to water. Great fit but like above stated, lots of ventilation on em, will see how they do as it
Gets colder, may have to tape

1 - 12 of 12 Posts