1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Snowmobile outrage

Dorothy Westerman and Jessica Gray
Northern News Services
Yellowknife (Feb 22/06) - A city councillor says teenaged snowmobile thieves are "terrorizing" the city.

Coun. Doug Witty was outraged Monday after learning a 14-year-old arrested in connection with a third snowmobile theft has been released from custody.

"The individuals responsible are young offenders. Is there no way to detain these youth?" Witty asked RCMP Insp. Roch Fortin during a council committee meeting Monday.

"They have zero respect and are hiding behind the (Youth Criminal Justice Act)."

Since the start of 2006, 37 snowmachines have been stolen, including 16 in February.

Const. Colleen Werrell said police suspect the thefts are the work of a small group of teens who go "joyriding" on stolen snowmobiles. Most of the machines have been recovered, although most have also been damaged.

In committee, Witty said the damage could total "$250,000."

The 14-year-old was arrested on the weekend and released under the most strict conditions available to the court: a curfew and weekend house arrest.

According to Werrell, youths can only be held in custody under "extraordinary circumstances."

A second teen arrested at the same time has been ordered to meet with the community Justice Committee. There, he will face his parents, the victims, and community members to discuss the crime.

According to Fortin, this is one of the alternatives available for RCMP officers in the Youth Criminal Justice Act to prevent giving a minor a police record.

So far this year, 10 youth have been charged in connection with snowmobile thefts, said Fortin.

"I hear the concern," said Fortin, telling council that six RCMP officers have also had their machines stolen.

He said police have gone on the offensive, warning people to secure their machines and by doing more patrols and asking municipal enforcement officers to keep a lookout.

Witty said in addition to the damage done to the snowmobiles, one person has been seriously injured: The man who was bit by the police dog when he helped police track down suspected snowmobile thieves.

Coun. Bob Brooks wondered whether there was a way to hold the young thieves accountable for the damage done.

"Can we do civil action against the parents?"

Fortin said theft victims should write up a victim impact statement, which will be considered when someone is sentenced.

The RCMP encourage people to keep snowmobiles in locked sheds or garages, or to secure the snowmobile with heavy-duty chains or cables.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
How about making these kids and/or their parents legally/financially accountable for their actions ???

I agree with Coun. Witty, lock 'em up in remand until trial date, except we wouldn't want to infringe on the youths' "rights", would we ??

The same thing happens if they steal a car, they're released until trial...to do it again...and again.

The only thing these punks understand is the business end of a pointed stick, or the repeated application of the five-fingered salute. I'm not a violent person, or advocating some kind of vigilante justice, but what do you do when the kid just keeps reoffending ??

I'm sorry, but it's always the same perpetrators, isn't it obvious what we're doing to "rehabilitate" these losers isn't working ??

Aside from the obvious physical things we all dream about doing to these little ba$$turd$, in reality what do you think we can realistically do to solve this problem and deter future "errant youths" from pursuing this avenue of crime ??

Any reasonable suggestions will be considered...and yes, I am looking into getting a seat at the Community Justice committee meeting..

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
The mere threat of a severe thrashing by my father, kept me from ever committing any crimes in the days of my youth.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Wow! I'm glad I live safely within the shadow of Flint, MI. Just Kidding, I hope you get things sorted out up there. There's got to be some honest kids in Yellowknife. Can't you pay some of them to hold a 'trial by their peers'? Sounds like as long as they're all minors they could whoop some sled stealin' butt and not get in any trouble...

·
Registered
489 Posts
Without FELT consequence there will be no change.

My step son and a couple of his buddies were out one night a couple months back. after a snowstorm they all decided to take (Not mine) but another dad's car off road through the snow. They went into a forest preserve area and proceeded to get the car stuck in the snow and soft ground beneath. The three boys now have an option of paying $3500.00 to have a contractor come in and replace the sod they tore up or, under my supervision, buy the materials and perform all the manual labor necessary to complete the sod replacement task. Needles to say they chose the less expensive more laborous option. Either way they will feel the direct result of their actions. All the parents of these boys are glad they are being held accountable.

All the boys are minors and if not able to pay the costs on their own their parents would then be responsible. That is the way it should be for these boys in Yellowknife.

Swift ... direct ... meaningful ... consequence. Hopefully with full parental support to whatever sentence is handed down.

Then bring them face to face with the victims to offer their sincere apology.

I'll get off my soap box now.

D.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The one kid has been caught three times sine Jan2nd..and released each time. He just got caught again and released again with out a minute in the Young Offender facility...isn't that what a youth facility is for..didn't we just spend a few mil to build the darn thing.

And my Yamaha is still in front of my house unlocked..for two months now!

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
[quote name='Soldier'sPapa' date='Feb 22 2006, 01:43 PM']
Without FELT consequence there will be no change.

My step son and a couple of his buddies were out one night a couple months back. after a snowstorm they all decided to take (Not mine) but another dad's car off road through the snow. They went into a forest preserve area and proceeded to get the car stuck in the snow and soft ground beneath. The three boys now have an option of paying $3500.00 to have a contractor come in and replace the sod they tore up or, under my supervision, buy the materials and perform all the manual labor necessary to complete the sod replacement task. Needles to say they chose the less expensive more laborous option. Either way they will feel the direct result of their actions. All the parents of these boys are glad they are being held accountable.

All the boys are minors and if not able to pay the costs on their own their parents would then be responsible. That is the way it should be for these boys in Yellowknife.

Swift ... direct ... meaningful ... consequence. Hopefully with full parental support to whatever sentence is handed down.

Then bring them face to face with the victims to offer their sincere apology.

I'll get off my soap box now.

D.
[snapback]729846[/snapback]​
[/quote

I agree 100% with you......unfortunately most parents up here are NOT like us!!

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Soldier said:
...All the parents of these boys are glad they are being held accountable.

[snapback]729846[/snapback]​
Thats the way it should be, but unfortunately (at least around here) when they catch kids ripping stuff off, they usually think that either the parents are also involved, or at the very least they are turning a blind eye. Since up there it sounds like kids are just joy-riding (not parting stuff out) the parents probably aren't involved, but my guess is they could give a crap less what little johnny is doing on a saturday night...

·
ITs WINTER!
7,497 Posts
ntjetboater said:
The one kid has been caught three times sine Jan2nd..and released each time. He just got caught again and released again with out a minute in the Young Offender facility...isn't that what a youth facility is for..didn't we just spend a few mil to build the darn thing.

And my Yamaha is still in front of my house unlocked..for two months now!

[snapback]729851[/snapback]​
My Yami has been sitting unlocked in the front yard for almost 3 months now, nobody even wants to steal them...

But they probably watched me rebuild the thing 7 times in the last few years and decided it wouldnt be much of a joyride

But something really needs to be done with these kids, i think they really need their head scanned for lettinghthese kids go that have stolen several sleds in the last month or so!

·
Registered
6,219 Posts
If the law wont do anything then take the law into your own hands!
A blanket party will change their attitude.

G

·
Hopefully the conservative government will be able implement Changes to the young offenders act.... something the liberals couldn`t be bothered to doo!

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
This is EXACTLY why sledding in Canada is so unappealing to me and many other Americans...Look at my sig and now YOU KNOW WHY!!!!!!!!

Canada is NOTORIOUS for stealing recreational vehicles.. Heck , when I roadraced motorcycles we ALWAYS had Canadian guys who would approach us in the pits and would be selling complete bikes, engines, suspension parts, etc... and NONE of the bikes had VIN #'s but you could tell where they were ground off..

Are all canadians thieves?? Certainly not and I have no ill will towards Canada at all but it just seems that this is a growing problem up there and has been for years with NOTHING being done to deter it...

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
revgod said:
This is EXACTLY why sledding in Canada is so unappealing to me and many other Americans...Look at my sig and now YOU KNOW WHY!!!!!!!!

Canada is NOTORIOUS for stealing recreational vehicles.. Heck , when I roadraced motorcycles we ALWAYS had Canadian guys who would approach us in the pits and would be selling complete bikes, engines, suspension parts, etc... and NONE of the bikes had VIN #'s but you could tell where they were ground off..

Are all canadians thieves?? Certainly not and I have no ill will towards Canada at all but it just seems that this is a growing problem up there and has been for years with NOTHING being done to deter it...
[snapback]730099[/snapback]​
Oh and I guess the USA does not have any theft problems??

Thats really ok if you dont ride in Canada, we dont want you Americans beating the crap out of our trails anyways!!!

·
Dootalk = college student's study time
4,213 Posts
Trail Ryder said:
The mere threat of a severe thrashing by my father, kept me from ever committing any crimes in the days of my youth.
[snapback]729772[/snapback]​
I second that. And I am not a kid still....

Ryan

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
MamaSled said:
revgod said:

Thats really ok if you dont ride in Canada, we dont want you Americans beating the crap out of our trails anyways!!!
[snapback]730123[/snapback]​
Easy Mama, does the USA have theft problems?? Sure but nowhere near as bad as Canada does. I know on Tug Hill they rarely get thefts anymore.. They once did but as soon as it started to occur the bars and taverns got together and hired security guards who patrolled the lots.. Once the culprits were caught and sent to jail, people learned their lesson... In Canada this has been occuring for many years.. I know many of the Pro Sno-X racers have had not only sleds stolen but their entire trailers, trucks , and SLEDS too... Hard to argue with the facts though...

G

·
MamaSled said:
revgod said:

[snapback]730123[/snapback]​
I might be wrong but there just might be another reason why He created that sig!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.