Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 skidoo mxz 600 sport with a little over 3000 miles on them and am wondering what the benefits would be if any if I was to get insurance for it. Would it help at all if i wanted to upgrade or replace something due to it being broken or needing to be replaced? I have been doing some reading and am thinking of getting liability and theft insurance for sure for it. What are your thoughts on this? Any input or experiences are appreciated!

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Not sure where you live but i personally would not want to be without ins. I have a 2002 - 800 and for liability and theft it cost me about 18 buck's a month, peace of mind when i am out or it's parked.

·
Mr Top Whore
102,976 Posts
Well here in Ontario you have to have insurance on the sled to ride it off your property. You have to have it to be on the OFSC trails here in Ontario.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I always get insurance. Yeah it nice if the sled gets messed up or stolen. It will be fix or replaced. But what if you get hurt or hurt someone else. That is the kind of coverage that's most important IMO!

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
As others have said, depending on where you live and ride, you may be required to have a basic liability policy with minimum limits of coverage.

As far as other optional coverages like collision, and comprehensive that's something that you might want to look at in terms of what those coverages will cost (with various deductibles) vs. what the insurance company would pay out if the sled is stolen, or totaled in a crash. On a 12 to 13 year old sled, I'd think that the insurance co. would be writing a fairly small check on a total loss. Now, if you were running a late model sled that is worth $10,000 or more, thats whole different level of risk as far as loss goes... I'm sure those who finance brand new sleds are required to carry full coverage insurance by their lender.

Where I live and ride, there is no requirement for liability insurance on any vehicles that are registered as OHV's... out here in the west, it's not at all like back east where the trails tend to be crowded, with a much higher chance of having a collision with another sled. Where I ride there are no trails, it's all backcountry riding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts