Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my clutches are aligned and cleaned. But i have quick belt wear with the bombardier belts. You could say im a harder rider, but i dont disrespect my drive belts. I let the sled engage before i get hard on the gas, and i try to stay away from letting the primary 'slap' or close hard on the drive belt. I have buddies that ride much harder and are hard on their belts, and it seems like they never have problems with blowing their belts. We do a lot of field riding and like i said, i try to save my belts because they arent cheap. No luck with the bombardier belts, are there any belts out there that are actually tough? I cant imagine they dont design a belt that actually stays together. I was looking at the dayco and powerstreak belts. Are there any tough and long lasting belts you have seen? Something that withstands high horsepower and rugged conditions? I dont understand why they dont make a solid rubber belt instead of the the two halves separated by a chord. They never last. I need a good belt that wont blow up on me. thanks

·
Mr Top Whore
102,999 Posts
Are you sure your clutchs are aligned? Are you breaking your belts in when they are new? How many miles are you getting out of the belts before they blow? I have good luck with both the Doo belts and Dayco belts with out bllowing either brand.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure your clutchs are aligned? Are you breaking your belts in when they are new? How many miles are you getting out of the belts before they blow? I have good luck with both the Doo belts and Dayco belts with out bllowing either brand.
I had my clutches aligned at the beginning of the riding season. I but about 200 miles on this belt before the chord came out and the belt ripped in half. I heard aftermarket belts use more kevlar than bombardier belts, but they can be harmful to your clutch faces if not changed when wore. I usually break in my belts about 50-100 miles after i buy them. After that, i like to do some backcountry riding with buddies. I try not to be hard on my belts, but i dont think 200 miles is very good. Some people say the zx chassis were bad for belts because the clutches are farther apart and there is more play in the belt. Some say riding in deeper snow is hard on your belts, but i dont do it constantly

·
Registered
136 Posts
You might want to take a second look at your clutch alignment. I beat the CRAP out of my sled and have never toasted a doo belt.

·
Premium Member
11,990 Posts
So my clutches are aligned and cleaned. But i have quick belt wear with the bombardier belts. You could say im a harder rider, but i dont disrespect my drive belts. I let the sled engage before i get hard on the gas, and i try to stay away from letting the primary 'slap' or close hard on the drive belt. I have buddies that ride much harder and are hard on their belts, and it seems like they never have problems with blowing their belts. We do a lot of field riding and like i said, i try to save my belts because they arent cheap. No luck with the bombardier belts, are there any belts out there that are actually tough? I cant imagine they dont design a belt that actually stays together. I was looking at the dayco and powerstreak belts. Are there any tough and long lasting belts you have seen? Something that withstands high horsepower and rugged conditions? I dont understand why they dont make a solid rubber belt instead of the the two halves separated by a chord. They never last. I need a good belt that wont blow up on me. thanks
The clutches aren't further apart. In fact ZX chassis clutches aren't any further apart than S chassis, REV chassis or XP chassis clutches, the belts for all ski doo's since 1993 with the exception of CK3 Machs and formula 3's are all virtually same length, only the width differs on the 03 and newer sleds. 2002 ZX chassis sleds aren't notorious for being hard on belts, either you have alignment issues or going easy isn't the answer?.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You might want to take a second look at your clutch alignment. I beat the CRAP out of my sled and have never toasted a doo belt.
hahaha how do you classify being hard on your sled? what kind of riding do you do? I see you have the same chassis as mine...im just hoping that its something wrong rather than my sled itself. thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The clutches aren't further apart. In fact ZX chassis clutches aren't any further apart than S chassis, REV chassis or XP chassis clutches, the belts for all ski doo's since 1993 with the exception of CK3 Machs and formula 3's are all virtually same length, only the width differs on the 03 and newer sleds. 2002 ZX chassis sleds aren't notorious for being hard on belts, either you have alignment issues or going easy isn't the answer?.
I understand. i do have some clutch noise when the motor is running hot. Could that mean something?

·
Have been
5,940 Posts
It could be the setup you have in your clutch If the set up is to agressive it will be harder on belts , i lurned years ago from both oval racing and drag racing a clutch that hits hard will never beat a smooth clutch to the first corner !

·
Registered
39 Posts
rebuilt my clutches last year on my 02 mxz 800 threw a cudney clutch kit on there, so what happend was i found autoaone warranty there dayco snowmobile belts. i think i have 3 spares for my 02.i was only getting a couple hundred miles on a belt before it come apart. but got the primary apart and was it fudged up! one ramp had such a bad gouge in it it wouldnt allow the roller to go up smoothly it would make it jerk so all new ramps rollers and the clutch kit its def a differnet sled after all that.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Are you running the skidoo 417-300-127 belt? If so I would check into the calibration in your clutches. Do the clutches get hot? My sled is pushing nearly 185 horsepower and pulling a 162X16X2.3" track and I never have to worry about the belt. I do have the gearing and clutching spot on though. If your clutching is getting hot it is not the belts fault.

·
old ski-dool
3,313 Posts
I have about 2000 miles on a ski-doo belt.
Check your clutches and alignment.
The 417-300-127 is a low performance, medium compound belt.
I run the 152 belt but they are hard to come by these days as they are discontinued.

·
Mr Top Whore
102,999 Posts
Check your motor mounts, if one is broke that could cause it to blow the belts. Your aligment can be spot on but once you put a load on the motor it could be pulling to one side or the other.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi folk

new to the site, just started sledding a couple years ago , bought a yamaha nytro didnt change the belt in two years.Sold the tank and I started with skidoo end of last season (2011 tnt &2012 freeride) and found out that you can drive the crap out of a ski doo , cutting donuts and juming off drifts , so much fun , but the belts now become a issue. we stop all the time and cool our belts . This seems to be the only way we make them last longer. I am now running the 391 and it does last longer. My belt gets to hot to touch somtimes. I am just asumming that ski doo does not expect you to pin your machine is the powder hold it .I get about a dozen rides on a belt 4-5 hours each off trail . Each ride is about 20 miles long. This is what I have found out. I have blown up a ultimax and a dayco belt in just a couple rides

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have a 2003 MXZ Trail and I went over 5000 mines on the ORIGINAL belt. I don't baby the machine but I don't beat it either. I would look at the clutch alignment, motor mounts, etc. because you should not be going through belts.

·
Sled nut
2,912 Posts
I dif not reread everything but my sled did this for two years couldent keep a belt on for the life if me cord would come out I'd trim it flush till it was garbage turns out clutchs where off alignment check yours over again

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
i have ridden quite a few miles in my days and only ever blew up one belt.Something is wrong,check motor mounts or even the mount between the motor and clutch and make sure the rubber is still there.I think your sled has one.

·
Registered
146 Posts
though I have good intentions I always invariably fail to break in a belt and im still using the same one now for 800 miles and it runs great.using s dayco xtx.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
My sled is 18 years old & I've had it since it was new. I am only only my 3rd belt, always use Ski-Doo Belts. Never blown one. I just bought a a new one $54.00 from amazon as I burnt a flat spot on my current belt when I got stuck last weekend. So 6,000 miles and only 4 belts. I've had great luck with Doo belts.

Steve

1 - 20 of 24 Posts