Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone in the Ashland/Bayfield area that could give a report as to what the conditions are like? How fast is it settling and melting? I am part of a group that may be going there this weekend, but do not wish to drive 4 hours Friday night to find out the trails are snirt or washboard. I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Bayfield rider on trailconditions.com gives accurate reports. He also operates Woodside Cottages in Bayfield. Doo a search for his website.

I was there last weekend. Snow will not be a problem but warm temps will trash the trails in a hurray.

·
Registered
295 Posts
His latest post.

Post Response

NEW: Northern Bayfield County
bayfield rider <[email protected]> -- Wednesday, 2 February 2005, at 7:48 p.m.

I rode today with eight cottage guests west of Bayfield, Valhalla, south towards Iron River, to Old Baldy west of Herbster and back. The trails were very good and generally holding up quite with fairly light traffic. There were a few bare spots on Battleaxe north of IR. Every trail has been recently groomed and the forest roads are still good but some are bumpy on corners. We spent half the day riding the forest roads and also packing the freshly groomed route for the sled dog race this weekend. Nice!

The groomers will not run until the temps cool down to 28 degrees which looks like Friday or Saturday night. The Valhalla groomer tried last night and quite after 2 hours. It was 38 when we left at 10am and 37 when we got back at 5:30 pm.

Even though the trails are good now, they won't hold up with heavier traffic Friday and Saturday and very little grooming. Areas where trails are on plowed roads for logging operations and heavier traveled trails, expecially on corners and some exposed areas, will be dirt after tommorow. Temps will be near 40 until Sunday.

I have cottage guests coming up this weekend and I am calling them all tonight to advise them to stay home with the pending conditions, that is unless one wants to ride forest roads.

bayfield rider

1 - 4 of 4 Posts