Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2002 Legend 800 is smoking quite a bit at idle and when moving. I've checked the oil pump cable adjustment and even backed it off to a 24 mm gap from 28. The cable is not binding and is well lubed. The pump is opening and closing OK and is not sticking if released slowly. It too and its spring is well lubed. But still the sled is smoking to the point of being very visible when driven and burning the eyes of anyone behind.

Any one got any suggestions? Is it possible that the pump is failed internally and gone to a 'fail-safe' mode that pumps oil through no matter where the lever is?

All ideas appreciated.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You Know I have a simmilar problem.. My Legend 700 2002 only has 600 miles on it.. It smokes too much and has bad gas milage.. Im going to call the dealer to see if there are any updates for it.. All you need is your ownership with the cerial number .. have you had any updates done to it.? your clutch might be open a hare... check the cable for play... only my 2 cents...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
newskidooguy said:
You Know I have a simmilar problem.. My Legend 700 2002 only has 600 miles on it.. It smokes too much and has bad gas milage.. Im going to call the dealer to see if there are any updates for it.. All you need is your ownership with the cerial number .. have you had any updates done to it.? your clutch might be open a hare... check the cable for play... only my 2 cents...

[snapback]702637[/snapback]​
The sled has had all the updates done to it according to the dealer and I have adjusted the cable to the lean side of its specs. This sled has about 11,500 KM on it. So I'm still at a loss.

·
Registered
832 Posts
All oils have unique properties, such as flash point, etc. when I used Shell Advance Synthetic, I didn't get as much smoke as the Castrol I used, but stink was horrendous - It used to give me such a headcache, I would carry Tylenol everytime I went out. Finally this year I switched to Blue Marble (vegetable oil) And WOW! What a HUGE difference... Increased performance, little or NO stink (and I stepped up the pump).. simply amazing. My riding buddies are all alot happier now too. It's expensive, but it's environmentally friendly and works as advertised. I only wish I hadn't wasted all those years with Shell/Castrol.

P

·
Registered
98 Posts
bdaddy said:
I had a problem with my pump arm not returning,and since you cannot buy a return spring without buying a pump,I ran a spring from the top of the arm to the bulkhead.
[snapback]702772[/snapback]​
Any pics available of your setup? I will need to do the same thing. What spring did you wind up using (free length, spring constant)?

TIA, Mark

·
Registered
137 Posts
mph,I saw a picture in snowmobile world .com I believe,I tried a few long thin coiled springs,about 8 inches,you want a spring that will pull it back but not cause throttle thumb.I hooked the pump at cable plastic pin then drilled a small hole in the bulkhead edge in line and hooked the other side through it(between clutches)

·
Registered
302 Posts
worst case scenario, maybe your oil bath seals in the center a a bit worn and leaking?

as for bad gas mileage, checke your jetting (read your plugs) , and make sure your clutches are up to snuff and the track isn't too tight.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
700GSE said:
All oils have unique properties, such as flash point, etc. when I used Shell Advance Synthetic, I didn't get as much smoke as the Castrol I used, but stink was horrendous - It used to give me such a headcache, I would carry Tylenol everytime I went out. Finally this year I switched to Blue Marble (vegetable oil) And WOW! What a HUGE difference... Increased performance, little or NO stink (and I stepped up the pump).. simply amazing. My riding buddies are all alot happier now too. It's expensive, but it's environmentally friendly and works as advertised. I only wish I hadn't wasted all those years with Shell/Castrol.

P
[snapback]702797[/snapback]​
Thats interesting, first time I heard it was vegtable oil. You would think Blue Marble would be pushing that angle. Come to think of it I have never seen a Blue Marble advertisement.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I was looking for a new return spring, dealer finally told me the spring is part of the pump, you only why to order one is to buy the whole pump. The pump lists for about $175, it's unbelievable BRP doesn't make a spring available.

·
Registered
832 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.