Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

Smoking meat

12K views 136 replies 29 participants last post by  Snocheck 
You guys sure spend a lot of $$$ on your smokers.

I made one out of a 55 gallon drum around 20 years ago, I just built another one.

It's a charcoal burner, 1 lbs an hour. The crazy thing is it'll run 225F at 90 degrees or 0 degrees. We've smoked brisket in the heat of summer and the dead of winter.

I'll get a picture of the new one and post them up. This one is a lot more fancy than the last one.

I watch that BBQ pitmasters show on tv love it - but aint ready to spend that kind of time for a meal
My neighbor does that competitive BBQ stuff, and he's won more than a few times. He travels a bunch to do it too - he has a lot of fun with it.

I gotta say, it smells good when he's practicing too!

And yes, he laughs at my homemade smoker, and I'm OK with that. 🤣

Reactions: 6100D
Still no pictures, sorry.

I went to the garage this morning then my son-in-law called, needed help with a bathroom remodel, so the garage projects got pushed back.

I'll get them, promise.

Here you go - that's just charcoal dust on it.
Home appliance Automotive lighting Outdoor grill rack & topper Line Cuisine

The stainless piece on the right comes off as needed. The copper on the left is the chimney.
Waste container Waste containment Floor Cylinder Gas

This is the charcoal basket. This one is pretty heavy duty. My last one was a lot less stout and it lasted over 20 years so obviously it doesn't need to be this HD.
Tableware Wood Rectangle Basket Storage basket

These are the temp adjusters, there are 4 of them. Need more heat, open 1 to 4 of them up. Need less heat close'em up. Normally once the temp settles in you don't touch them. On my last one I used Gorilla tape, this one is pretty fancy in comparison.
Brown Wood Flooring Tints and shades Gas

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Hood Gas

Barrel Wood Wood stain Gas Hardwood

I bought the food grade barrel for $25.00, everything else I had kicking around in my garage.

Seeing as the last one is over 20 years old now and still could be used if needed, I'm pretty sure the new one will last as long as I'll need it to.

I also kept the old one outside 24/7/365, the new one is stored in my garage.

Sounds delicious!

Today is our anniversary (36 years!) we went to a new BBQ/Smoke place locally - it was EXCELLENT.

Food Tableware Table Ingredient Cuisine

We did a brisket over the weekend - it was hands down the best one we've ever done. You literally could cut it with a fork.

Why so good this time? Last year my kids got me a Meater for Fathers Day - this was the first time I got around to trying it. It was pretty sweet!

With the size of this one I would have gone 6 hours, the Meater said pull it at 5-1/2 hours. It was right.

And a reminder of our smoker - one I made out of a food grade barrel. Cheap, easy, and very effective.

Not a smoker but a steamer - my daughters and son-in-law put on an awesome King Crab feed for Fathers Day, followed by my wife serving up a wicked good strawberry shortcake - yum!

Food Tableware Dishware Ingredient Recipe

Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Cream

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.