Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
My keyboard expels profanity
4,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im installing (ok actually mxzeatr is actually installing) a 1.25 paddle on a S chassis. My question is this:
I see no reason for the top shaft with small idler wheels that is bolted through the tunnel. Is it ok to just not reinstall this?

Thanks,
Buffy

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
Im installing (ok actually mxzeatr is actually installing) a 1.25 paddle on a S chassis. My question is this:
I see no reason for the top shaft with small idler wheels that is bolted through the tunnel. Is it ok to just not reinstall this?

Thanks,
Buffy
Yeppers you can leave it out.

·
My keyboard expels profanity
4,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeppers you can leave it out.
Thanks Don. Ouyt of curiosity, can you explain its purpose in the first place?

·
Registered
279 Posts
In theory, the purpose of it is to get the maximum snow cooling up to the heat exchangers. If left out you are only "conveying" the front portion of about 10 inches of track to the fins. With the idlers in there you are hitting almost 3/4 of them.

·
Registered
13,553 Posts
Ditched it on my '99 zx and ran it for years that way. Only downfall was more wear on the loops on the top of the front arm. Never got that bad though.

·
Registered
45,484 Posts
In theory, the purpose of it is to get the maximum snow cooling up to the heat exchangers. If left out you are only "conveying" the front portion of about 10 inches of track to the fins. With the idlers in there you are hitting almost 3/4 of them.
So thats why they are on the 380f.

Thanks!

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
Not true. My 2000 Summit had one.
Ok, slap me up side the head for faulty memory... I know my 01 or 02 ZX did not come with them...

goober4321..would you explain how it does that. I don't doubt that you are right, I just want to understand it?

As I recall the tops of those small wheels where pretty much in line with the tops of the return wheel on top of the rear cross shaft and in line with the tops of the front drivers.

Thanks this is interesting.. I found them on the fiche for an 99 mxz 700 but not on a 2000 mxz 700; yet they are on a 2000 380 fan.... If they were for cooling and moving snow up the tunnel, why would they have them on a sled with no heat exhchangers in the tunnel? My wondering is killing me.

And yep, they are on a 2000 and 2001 700 Summit but not the 2002 700 Summit on the fiche (ha ha.. I even had one of those 00 Summits) that makes more sense since the track is longer and more to stabilize.

In the end Buffy, you can leave it off because you won't be able to tell the difference.

·
Registered
342 Posts

Thanks,
Buffy
both my sc-10's had that... key word "had" it does help the track from minor rubbing on top of both center and rear shock. imo, screw it you dnt need it, ive had well over 2000 miles trouble free and nothing went wrong except the paint on one side of each shock eye was rubbed off, when my track was lose

·
Registered
279 Posts
DJM........if you think about how a conveyor belt works, moves something from A to B. The paddles of the track do more than just get your butt moving on the snow. They pick up the snow as well and force it up to the tunnel top. With less of a "surface table" to hold snow, the cooling system isnt as effecient. Kinda hard to explain without a diagram. If you picture your serpentine belt on your car running all your accessories, if you put your belt on and "missed" your alternator it throws the belt geometry off and the charging system wont work.

As for fireball's statement "the 136's never had them", they did. Look at the say a 1997 Grand Touring.

I am not bashing anyone here........but you have to think about why something is there and not just fluff it off to being not needed.

·
Registered
45,484 Posts
DJM........if you think about how a conveyor belt works, moves something from A to B. The paddles of the track do more than just get your butt moving on the snow. They pick up the snow as well and force it up to the tunnel top. With less of a "surface table" to hold snow, the cooling system isnt as effecient. Kinda hard to explain without a diagram. If you picture your serpentine belt on your car running all your accessories, if you put your belt on and "missed" your alternator it throws the belt geometry off and the charging system wont work.

As for fireball's statement "the 136's never had them", they did. Look at the say a 1997 Grand Touring.

I am not bashing anyone here........but you have to think about why something is there and not just fluff it off to being not needed.
You keep talking cooling, and moving snow up onto the cooler.

Please explain why the shaft was on the 380F then. F stands for Fan, as in fan cooled...

My sled cools fine, and its a looooooonnnnnnnngggggggggg ways from the top idlers to the driveshaft with nothing in between...If it worked as good as you seem to think it does, why is no one adding them to newer sleds, or better yet, why did Doo quit installing them?

I think this video proves your theroy to be mis-guided. Look at the snow coming out in front of the track, all of that has the chance to come in contact with the coolers in the top and front of the tunnel to cool the sled, no tiny idlers to make the conveyor perfect, but it sure looks like its working good to me.

·
Registered
14,289 Posts

I love thinking about it, but I am having trouble following your table top discussion.. I need diagrams for sure. Because in my mind as I recall them (I will confess I am old and my mind sometimes has trouble remembering) but the top of the rear turn around wheels on the rear skid mounting, the top of the little idler shaft wheels which was about a 1/3 of the way forward in tunnel and the tops of the drive wheels were all in a straight line. And I only see the small wheels from allowing the track to flop down or bow down. Which in turn would limit it's ability to flap up....equal and opposite reactions.. or to keep it from having a sine wave in it. It just limited the tracks freedom to move. In this case to move down.

I having trouble grasping the concept of moving snow farther forword. And as Eric's video shows; the snow that goes forward has to keep going forward to get out of the tunnel. Maybe if the track sagged/bounds/did a sine wave down, it would have the snow farther from the cooler? But if that is the case, why do they put them on fan cooled sleds that have no heat exchanger in the tunnel?

·
Registered
342 Posts
... Im lost can someone explain how the heck an idler like this can help with cooling? its just about level with rear wheel up top, and drive cogs. it does not through any snow up into coolers. do they realize that the track still "conveys" snow with out it? and my track only sags about 1/2"-3/4" with the shaft out. it seems thats MORE snow builds up under the tunnel (because of more room), ALL the way up the tunnel, buffy340, just leave the shaft out. ive done to both my f-chassis and s chassis sleds. ive had not problems ant will never have any problems due to not having it. oh ya, my sled stays at the same temp!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts