Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
b550,I like your front suspension with the direct pogo shock action.Do you think that setup would be of benifit on a dual ski sled?
This suspension would be beneficial for the weight and the low drag in the snow (the weight of the Tundra pogos are a lot heavier than the double A of the Summits) but this design would not be robust enough for a heavy snowmobile which collides with obstacles in front of the skis.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
4-season utility motorcycle (snow or not), the main objective of which is to be able to go practically everywhere. Very very low to pass under branches and tubes, Lateral flexibility to cross side slopes and also have a motorcycle type driving on hard or not. The weight is on the track (where traction is needed) and the track is long enough behind so that it doesn't tip over uphill. Can also pull small loads, sled, scraper, small trailer.

I wanted to test this configuration of a small, economical and versatile vehicle that I imagined. I took an approach that was more economical in materials, parts and time than the Small-Doo BMX. It's more of a utility vehicle unlike the Small-Doo BMX which is sporty in powder only. Every part of the small-Doo BMX has been mechanically lightened, but not the Tracktor Bike and no carbon fiber.
First rides before the tracktor is finished (finishing and tuning are not done), stock 7hp engine with CIE transmission tuning, the Small-Doo BMX is a bomb next door even if it is the same base of engine. Plan to do a small setup at 12HP for the tracktor.

Weighs 214lbs with full gasoline and oil. It will be lighter with a ski instead of the tire with its steel rim in winter configuration. That is to say 1 month in the year if it is like the past winter ...
With a vehicle of this weight in rough terrain, it's the driver who leads whether there is talent or not.

All aluminum frame except the front fork (steel) and HDPE plastic panels.
Quick reverse and neutral gear to be selected with a lever next to the seat. The side panels are quickly removable to access the transmission components.
Home made air front suspension (allows a wide range of adjustment) A little for comfort but above all to help traction in uneven terrain (so that not only the wheel and the rear of the track touch the ground at the bottom a hill) And also to adjust the tire pressure on the ground (or ski in winter) (Great effect on driving)

No rear suspension apart from the slight slack in the tires. Mainly for having a low seat (the transmission system fits right between the top of the track and the seat) and also for economy, simplicity and weight. The tires in the track allow much better traction when there is little or no snow. When there is a rock or a small tree trunk under the track, the track follows the shape of the ground instead of jacket the whole vehicle over the obstacle like a slide suspension. Essential wheel without snow so as not to destroy the slides and the track clips. However, when there is a lot of loose snow, the advantage of traction slides. I could have found spring buggies that would have done the job, but they are much heavier than plastic rim tires and most importantly there is very little lateral bank possible.

A single row of center wheels makes driving on hard surface very smooth almost like a motorcycle with tires, but with a little restraint when you expect a certain angle. This feature makes the ride better than my Small-Doo BMX despite its narrower track, rounded profile and flex in the suspension arm. It doesn't make sense that motorcycle track kits aren't all monorail not even a joint, it's like a motorcycle with corvette tires. I already knew that but it's even more important than I thought. The only reason I didn't do the Small-Do BMX monorail was that I couldn't find a center clip track. For the snowmobile I am less convinced because 2 skis at the front ... all full of principle to destabilize the snowmobiles which have 3 points of support, but its remains a square wheel ... I prefer one or the other (fixed or fully flexible )

Some people might find skis, foot steps, at floating height funny. But they are extremely useful in very rough terrain. I took them off for a piece of Ryde and couldn't wait to find them. Whether it is on this snow melting at +16 degrees which is very slippery for a motorcycle, they allow the vehicle to be steered with little effort (a bit like on skis). On the rocks, sideways in a large trailer, in SIDE Hill at low speed. Unless you are a professional pilot, these skis allow you to really go anywhere with much less effort. They will also be very useful for balancing with a small trailer behind or a sled in rough terrain and for tight turns. The skis could be larger to be able to use them with snowshoes on their feet, which would be very useful for a maple syrup producer or trapper.

As soon as the ground or the path is drinkable, you just have to put your feet on the pegs (motorcycle steps). The ride is, not fast, but surprisingly smooth on the gravel paths.
This vehicle does not damage wet terrain with its very low ground pressure unlike an ATV or even worse a side by side or a jeep. (On private land it's still good) In the photos there are still places that go relatively well in 4x4 ATV, except 2 places where the mountain bike would have been lost suddenly, it is ditches that I dug in the swamp (black earth soaked all year round) but the Tracktor only sinks into the water, it does not reach the bottom, it bears on the small vegetation. Its limit is that it is not amphipious, you could go further with snockels and small floats, but I don't have a lake to cross.

So despite not being finished (so that he could try it out on slippery snow) he did very well. There is a plastic in the front that vibrates at a certain RPM. And a rubber band in front of the skis (installed on the field) made it possible to hold them well when you are not on them.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Reactions: skof

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
It is not finished

XzFNKk.jpg

fHpqJ5.jpg

bhQJQJ.jpg

zj5khF.jpg

GpcP4r.jpg

It is in a deep soft pit but it remains on the surface

vrGQUJ.jpg

HxRrKh.jpg

gAp45u.jpg

Reactions: exp1200 and skof

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Go back up, back up almost as far as it goes

SfllMm.jpg

IUHhcW.jpg

SXm26w.jpg

tvzF5m.jpg

B6AHTq.jpg

0ZFv6O.jpg

lEgrgq.jpg

Zp1ysR.jpg

QnaPss.jpg

gkSsrK.jpg

UMHhei.jpg

UMHhei.jpg

pyyIUU.jpg

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
There would be many possible uses with this type of vehicle.

For sugar bushes, tapping and repair tours which allowed to go very close to the workplace unlike a felt snowmobile or a tracked ATV which are blocked by the height of the tubes, the space between the trees or the inclination of the side of the land. Can continue to be used when the terrain is half snowed or not snowed. The ability to keep the rackets on would save a lot of effort. An electric version would be great for leak detection (no need to stop the engine)

For trappers, it would be easy to get it on a small plane for those who are in a very remote area.

For hunting

Ice fishing or summer fishing to get to the lake. It would even be possible to mount it in a chalouppe (portage)

To transport all that is necessary for the work around a chalet in the woods

For forest prospecting when there is no way

For 4 season Fat bike trail maintenance

Electrical line inspection

Amuse the children

And for fun, as I will mainly be using it. Have fun going in places where it doesn't normally happen. Unlike the big, fashionable off-road vehicles, it doesn't need space to enjoy it and you can explore all corners without damaging the terrain too much.

A Snow Dog can be used for most of these uses, but is very limited in terms of traction and is very tiring to drive. I had found a way to dramatically increase towing capacity this fall, but it doesn't easily drive like a vehicle the driver is sitting on. In Russia, there are modules with 2 wheels or modules with 2 skis in front which facilitates driving and greatly improves the ability to climb hills. But the weight distribution and the driving position leave something to be desired (difficult or impossible to control on a side slope)

cXw34G.jpg

p3jhUe.jpg

f6d1c9.jpg

9bCoKD.jpg

Bni1xW.jpg

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
My main idea with this vehicle (a bit like my snowmobiles) is to be able to go to places that I would not dare to try with other vehicles, whatever the season.

Unlike a slider suspension (which is great when there is enough snow) almost all of the track's studs stay in contact with the ground, it's well away from the ground surface of a motorcycle tire. snowmobile, in early season conditions, in good climbs if there is a rock or a small tree trunk under the track, it starts moving backwards.

And on the way up, there is not a lot of weight on the front wheel, everything is on the track. The center of gravity is low, the track stretches very far behind the rider, so it doesn't tip back like an ATV or motorcycle might. I believe that the limit of angle and traction comes at the same time as that of the carburettor has float which does not work any more and pass an angle if one goes too slowly. So a longer track, a 2-stroke pump or electric to pass this course.

And for side tilts, the downforce is only in the center of the track and in the center of the tire combined with the weight (a bit heavy than a competition motocross), it is very easy to hold the vehicle as the one is sitting on it, standing, one knee or lying next to it.

The handlebars and stabilizers often catch the trees when there is not 2 feet between the trees, hands a left right tilt allows to pass. The stabilizers may seem superfluous, but they save a lot of effort at low speed in the ruff and when it starts backing up. It is only to put a slight pressure (the weight of the legs and boots)

On a motorbike, when you suddenly hit a foot on the ground, you take your weight off the seat, loss of Momentum, loss of traction. It would be difficult to slide your boot directly on the obstacle-ridden ground. The ideal would be to be a pro trail bike (they stay balanced on the spot, on a wheel!) But this is far from being my case. And you have to think that there are branches and pipes in the air, it would be difficult to stand early on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·

·
Registered
Custom sleds
1,403 Posts
Buran double track sled owners in Russia run their sleds in summer like that. Your Traktor bike has advantages over the finncat.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts