Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Doo Pilot
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay first I'm not defending BRP and materials being used !

Lets see if there is a pattern why you have a wear problem!
Sc-4
1) Track tension is it within spec ? using tension tool?
2) Is Track aligned properly?
3) Are all bogey wheel bearings in great shape ?
4) Are you running studs ? How many?
5) Have you changed springs or shocks?
6)Have you loosened or tightened limiter straps
7)Have you changed to different color sliders or are they stock!

Now my last couple of ? are about your riding style!
8) ride agressive with lots of jumping?
9)Drag race on Ice? alot
10)We all know some of us have been riding in low snow conditons or at least in less than ideal.

Tightening limiter straps tends to change the angle of attack on these machines alot puts more on the rear of the skid right wear there is no bogey wheel .
Again these are some questions to ask yourself,when trying to figure it out.

Again I'm just trying to help not defend BRP

Rich

Give some feedback we might find the answer before BRP does.

·
Doo Pilot
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
That many veiws and no comments!

Here is something else has anyone compared the sc-3 skid to s-4 skid as far as measurements of the bogey wheel placement on the skid itself is it different ? Is the height different in placement of the rear axle bogey?

Rich

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
The reason for the slider wear is the geometry of the suspension the area at the bend has a force of over 150lbs more than on a SC3 and it has less force on the rear than the SC 3 and that is the reason for the premature slider wear. I think the only way to address the issue is with a different front arm location on the suspension. -- Bill

·
Registered
745 Posts
GSX800HO, Answers to your questions? Here's mine:

1. Dealer set and aligned my track twice, at 0 miles and at 400. I trust it's within speck.
2. Again dealer did it.
3. Bearings better be fine the sled is brand new. As are all SC4's.
4. Yes 144 Studs w/ aluminum backers.
5. Springs and shocks are stock, adjusted to my liking.
6. Limiter strap on second hole. 1 tighter than Stock.
7. I wish I could change. Nobody has any so mine are still the original yellow ones. Mach Z's have same problem with black slides.
8. I do ride agrressive, pound over water bars and stutter bumps. THAT'S WHY I SPENT THE EXTRA $$ ON THE X PACKAGE!
9. No. I like the trails, and varied terrain.
10. Maybe the conditions are less than ideal, but this isn't my first sled, I've never experienced wear like this. I can actually pick up the peices of slider off of the ground.
Maybe the idlers are not big enough.?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Cudney Racing said:
The reason for the slider wear is the geometry of the suspension the area at the bend has a force of over 150lbs more than on a SC3 and it has less force on the rear than the SC 3 and that is the reason for the premature slider wear. I think the only way to address the issue is with a different front arm location on the suspension. -- Bill
[snapback]277136[/snapback]​
Hey Bill,
Got any chrome sliders?

·
Doo Pilot
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bill couldn't you have waited a while for answers ?

Have you done any modifications to this skid yet to see if you can fix it?

Rich

·
Registered
186 Posts
1) Track tension is it within spec ? No, set mine much looser than spec since we have the etrovert drivers (approx 1.5" sag with no weight. using tension tool?
2) Is Track aligned properly? Yep
3) Are all bogey wheel bearings in great shape ? Yep
4) Are you running studs ? How many? 96 1.325" on 1.25 " track
5) Have you changed springs or shocks? no
6)Have you loosened or tightened limiter straps no, stock 4th hole
7)Have you changed to different color sliders or are they stock! yellow, badly worn at 1300 miles (but have not worn much since 700 miles

Now my last couple of ? are about your riding style!
8) ride agressive with lots of jumping? agressive bumps, not much jumping
9)Drag race on Ice? nope
10)We all know some of us have been riding in low snow conditons or at least in less than ideal. Good conditions, UP of michigan. I have ridden the whole time with cats that show no wear. A bit of icing road riding early on, but again the cats were fine.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Well Just a quick bit.
I found that when I was running the track lose that the clips were smacking the sliders so I tightened it until it just creeps when on the stand. Common laws of force applied to the clip will make the track move if to loose then it forces the clips to cut into the sliders. I have close to 200 miles with adequet track tension and barly any wear. Marginal to two foot of powder. Wear is greater than past suspensions yet is not to bad. I believe a lot of the wear has to do with ridding conditions as well as lubrication fo rthe slides. Too lose can be as bad as too tight. hope this helps.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I tightend mine as well and wear has been reduced but is still uneven at front idlers. When track was super loose the hyfax was gouged huge in front and behind the idler but it is now only slightly dished.

The c-7 hyfax seems to be harder than the yellow stock material as well when comparing the cutoff section to the old burnt out sliders. I'm gonna throw on some graphites to see what happens next.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts