Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
one fast 98 mach-z
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been told that sleds have never been stolen from the hotels in fort kent maine or jackman. but i am hearing to many stories of sleds bing stolen in qeubec,quintin new brunswick,gaspee new bruswick,first town into canada after crossing from jackman. I hear that first they stole sleds,so people would lock them in their trailers. next they stole the whole rig,truck trailer and sleds.

how big a problem is it? I see alot of hotels in new brunswick are now chaining the sleds together.

its better to know before you go.

·
Registered
522 Posts
edlund said:
I have been told that sleds have never been stolen from the hotels in fort kent maine or jackman. but i am hearing to many stories of sleds bing stolen in qeubec,quintin new brunswick,gaspee new bruswick,first town into canada after crossing from jackman. I hear that first they stole sleds,so people would lock them in their trailers. next they stole the whole rig,truck trailer and sleds.

how big a problem is it? I see alot of hotels in new brunswick are now chaining the sleds together.

[snapback]734761[/snapback]​
Yep the next thing us Canucks are going to steal is the whole USA

·
one fast 98 mach-z
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gummy said:
edlund said:

[snapback]734775[/snapback]​
your to late. we sold it to the people we buy are oil from.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
edlund said:

yes they take the whole rig especially with doos only way to really take the sled. the owners of the hotel won't be hnest with you. I was just speaking to a guy at my dealership about this today, I stayed at the Benedict Arnold 2 weeks ago and if you call the hotel they will say there are no problems. it's what they told me when I showed them the lock that was clipped off my trailer the first night and I heard the day I left there a whole rig wastaken and another last weekend.

that said I would not hesitate to go back in fact I'm trying to put together another trip right now. take precautions, cable lock your sleds together, cover the vin of your truck and if you can back a couple of rigs together and cable the trucks together. If you make it harder than the next persons rig yours should be safe. i never felt my sleds were unsafe in the places I stayes they were either cabled together in front of the room or in a locked corral with other sleds far easier to steal than mine.

·
one fast 98 mach-z
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
legend700 said:
edlund said:

yes they take the whole rig especially with doos only way to really take the sled. the owners of the hotel won't be hnest with you. I was just speaking to a guy at my dealership about this today, I stayed at the Benedict Arnold 2 weeks ago and if you call the hotel they will say there are no problems. it's what they told me when I showed them the lock that was clipped off my trailer the first night and I heard the day I left there a whole rig wastaken and another last weekend.

that said I would not hesitate to go back in fact I'm trying to put together another trip right now. take precautions, cable lock your sleds together, cover the vin of your truck and if you can back a couple of rigs together and cable the trucks together. If you make it harder than the next persons rig yours should be safe. i never felt my sleds were unsafe in the places I stayes they were either cabled together in front of the room or in a locked corral with other sleds far easier to steal than mine.
[snapback]734848[/snapback]​
were is benedict arnold? i do not know? and what kind of lock did they cut? what did you have stolen?

G

·
gummy said:
edlund said:

[snapback]734775[/snapback]​

·
Registered
0 Posts
I ride Northern Ontario every year and I have had ZERO problems with theft. I don't think anyplace has cornered the market on stealing. I can't speak for Quebec but the people in Ontario are awesome
very friendly and helpfull. When we go to hotels if they have heated secure sled storage we take advantage of it otherwise we park the sleds in a group and cable lock them together. I lock my sleds up when I ride around home here in the States also because sleds have been known to dissapear from the parking lots of some of our local stops. I think now that sleds cost over 10 grand we should be very carefull where and how we park them no matter what Country your in. I guess if your really scared of getting your stuff stolen in Canada then you should stay home in the States and leave all those great Canada trails to us guys who have good insurance.

·
Registered
522 Posts
jds800Rev said:
I ride Northern Ontario every year and I have had ZERO problems with theft. I don't think anyplace has cornered the market on stealing. I can't speak for Quebec but the people in Ontario are awesome
very friendly and helpfull. When we go to hotels if they have heated secure sled storage we take advantage of it otherwise we park the sleds in a group and cable lock them together. I lock my sleds up when I ride around home here in the States also because sleds have been known to dissapear from the parking lots of some of our local stops. I think now that sleds cost over 10 grand we should be very carefull where and how we park them no matter what Country your in. I guess if your really scared of getting your stuff stolen in Canada then you should stay home in the States and leave all those great Canada trails to us guys who have good insurance.

[snapback]735256[/snapback]​
Excellent point jds but if you really want to to sleep easy just throw a POO cover on your sled

·
one fast 98 mach-z
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jds800Rev said:

[snapback]735256[/snapback]​
How much do you think insureance will pay you on a one year old sled if it gets stolen? How much will you have to put out of pocket to replace? What are you going to ride that day when your group gets on the sleds in the morning and yours is gone? You have to admitt it, it would really suck to start the day out by finding your sled gone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
edlund said:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Iwill never go to Canada no matter how good it is, can't enjoy the trailes without
your sleds. One of my buddies friends had his 06 f250/4place full/ 4newer sleds
all stolen in Quebec. He said the local boys in blue were almost no help at all. This
was a month ago. Also my best friend sold his f250 to a guy who told him the reason he was buying his rig was because was stollen on a trip up there. point in short bring a .45 automag and lots of ammo. Sorry if i offended any body but *%@ is going on up there you dont hear of this in the U.S to the extent of whats going on over the border.Have a safe ride.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
edlund said:

EXACTLY. I would comment more but I can't as I have been warned by MODS about speaking the truth about all the SLED THEFTS IN CANADA.. It is really nothing new but again all I can doo is agree with you 1000% and tell you lock up everything you have when going to canada...

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
MachZMadman said:
Iwill never go to Canada no matter how good it is, can't enjoy the trailes without
all stolen in Quebec. He said the local boys in blue were almost no help at all. This
was a month ago. Also my best friend sold his f250 to a guy who told him the reason he was buying his rig was because was stollen on a trip up there. point in short bring a .45 automag and lots of ammo. Sorry if i offended any body but *%@ is going on up there you dont hear of this in the U.S to the extent of whats going on over the border.Have a safe ride.
[snapback]738062[/snapback]​
EXACTLY. And to 500SS man and Papasled. Now you have read about another person who has had their whole rig stolen in canada.. Yes it was not YK but it still is in CANADA, where according to you guys, thefts just aren't commonplace and I must be making it up.... But again I can't speak the truth or I will get in trouble from our Dootalk Moderators.....

·
one fast 98 mach-z
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
revgod said:
edlund said:

EXACTLY. I would comment more but I can't as I have been warned by MODS about speaking the truth about all the SLED THEFTS IN CANADA.. It is really nothing new but again all I can doo is agree with you 1000% and tell you lock up everything you have when going to canada...
[snapback]738132[/snapback]​
what does MODS stand for? I am a D.M.F.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think it is more of a problem in Quebec, have not heard much of that happening in Ontario. Would really suck to wake up in the morning and find your sled and/or trailer/rig as well. But if you are scared ride somewhere else, that simple. I woujldn't leave my truck outside overnight in a few US cities. Doesn't me I am going to avoid those places like the plaque, just make arrangements to leave it locked in somewhere is all.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
MachZMadman said:
If I was a thief......A o6 Ford, 4 place trailer loaded with 4 newer sleds all set and ready to go......Sort of like taking a fat guy to a all you can eat buffet!!!!

Come on.....theft happens everywhere....how do expect our guys in blue to catch a doo when all they have is horses and those big funny hats!! Give us a break we see those big fancy rigs and i's call's my's cousin/brother bob, and we's goes doo poachen

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
edlund said:
revgod said:
edlund said:

[snapback]738132[/snapback]​
what does MODS stand for? I am a D.M.F.
[snapback]738198[/snapback]​
the Dootalk Moderators. Any further questions?? Ask MTM, he can explain it better than me...

·
Registered
877 Posts
I ride quite a bit in Quebec and probably always will. However, the theft thing is way out of hand. I personally know three people who have had complete rigs and trailers disapear. These aren't friends of a brother's father's buddy's friend....three people I personally know. I can safely assume I personally know a very small fraction of a percent of US riders that ride in Quebec, so that says something.
Some say they disapear to Indian Reservations, others say the cops are in on it with the Hotel owners. Whatever the scenario, one thing is for sure: nothing is being done at the law enforcement level. It seems quite odd that this has been happening for years and a sting operation could be quite successful. Yet, no major busts?
Can anyone report one of these rings being busted in the last five years?

·
Registered
339 Posts
MachZMadman said:

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
flatlander said:
I ride quite a bit in Quebec and probably always will. However, the theft thing is way out of hand. I personally know three people who have had complete rigs and trailers disapear. These aren't friends of a brother's father's buddy's friend....three people I personally know. I can safely assume I personally know a very small fraction of a percent of US riders that ride in Quebec, so that says something.
Some say they disapear to Indian Reservations, others say the cops are in on it with the Hotel owners. Whatever the scenario, one thing is for sure: nothing is being done at the law enforcement level. It seems quite odd that this has been happening for years and a sting operation could be quite successful. Yet, no major busts?
Can anyone report one of these rings being busted in the last five years?
[snapback]738341[/snapback]​
WOW, again another Dootalk member speaks up about all of the sled thefts in Canada...Must be I was right after all!!! I knew I was but hey if you are not papasled, mamasled, 500SS man, or JDS800REV, you will be bashed for speaking the truth!!!

SSman and papasled, I suppose you still would like to disagree, right???

I have nothing against Canada but when I get attacked about supporting Tug Hill, I guess the same rules don't apply for other folks on this board

1 - 20 of 97 Posts