Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me why I see trucks and trailers on the thruway all the time with a trailer hooked up and a sled in the back of the truck lifted way up so the tail gate can be shut??? Is there really that many people that have clearance issues??

I have a dodge 2500 quad cab short bed and a sledbed enclosed and never have a clearance issue with tailgate to trailer. I actually get about .8 of a mile better gas mileage also.

I see it all the time and have no clue why people travel this way.

Help me out......

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Maybe for backing up purposes? I am going to have that situation next week with a 2 place and one in the bed. I was thinking of having the tailgate up for clearance but I think I will check that before I start heaving a sled up there.

·
And...here.....we.....go.......
5,656 Posts
Skidoo04Rev said:
Can anyone tell me why I see trucks and trailers on the thruway all the time with a trailer hooked up and a sled in the back of the truck lifted way up so the tail gate can be shut??? Is there really that many people that have clearance issues??

I have a dodge 2500 quad cab short bed and a sledbed enclosed and never have a clearance issue with tailgate to trailer. I actually get about .8 of a mile better gas mileage also.

Help me out......
[snapback]737400[/snapback]​
I think they do it because they're afraid the sled is going to slide out the back if they leave the tailgate down.....
Ever heard of ratchet straps????

I don't think clearance is the issue.....I've seen lots of trucks with the sled in the back, tailgate up, and NO trailer......

Jerry

·
Registered
500 Posts
Truck gets better mpg if tail gate is up - that's a fact. Also if you leave
tail gate down it will take a beating from the salt being thrown up from the road and will look pretty bad after too many trips in these conditions.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
I'm not sure what the actual law says, but I've heard of people being pulled over for driving with the tailgate down. I think you can get a ticket for an unsecured or unsafe load, having the tailgate down down might make it look unsafe.

·
Flyin Fox Daddy X3
31,316 Posts
griggm said:
tail gate down it will take a beating from the salt being thrown up from the road and will look pretty bad after too many trips in these conditions.
[snapback]737417[/snapback]​
The chipped up tail gate is the most common reason.

OR just throw a sled on the back of a car like this if you don't have a truck bed.
At least he knows how to use ratchet straps.

Attachments

·
Registered
500 Posts
TILLER said:
griggm said:
Truck gets better mpg if tail gate is up - that's a fact.
for real ? id think there would be more wind resistance with it up
[snapback]737427[/snapback]​
They tested this theory on Myth Busters and a truck with the tail gate down or with one of those mesh gates - gets less mpg every time. Although they never tested with a
in the back.

·
Registered
261 Posts
griggm said:
Well I know with my truck the tailgate up I get 12.1mpg. With tailgate down 12.9mpg. I've tried all different methods also. Also you can expect .3-.4 second difference faster in a 1/4 mile with the tailgate down(as an added note)

So i'm still trying to find someone that trailers that way to see what there reason is.

I know with my truck, clearance is not an issue whether going forward or backward. And after 3 winters there are still no marks from rock salt bouncing up hitting the tailgate.

I still cannot figure this out. I've been snowmobiling for many years and have never thought to ask anyone towing this way, why they do.....

·
Registered
67 Posts
TILLER said:
griggm said:
nope, its true.The way trucks are designed the wind flow's over the cab and down into the front of the box and creates a vortex that shoots the window up over the tailgate.With the tailgate down it cuts off the roof to the back of the box.

Heres a car from just north of my city.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
benz88 said:
TILLER said:
griggm said:
nope, its true.The way trucks are designed the wind flow's over the cab and down into the front of the box and creates a vortex that shoots the window up over the tailgate.With the tailgate down it cuts off the roof to the back of the box.
Well i've tried all different ways, the best i've done was on 2 separate occasions 12.9 with tailgate down. The best i've done with it up is 12.1. That's a considerable difference.

I'm not sure if its because the trailer is also there but tailgate down = better mpg.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Im not a rocket scientist here but how the he** can a truck with the tailgate up get better gas mileage than one without one??? Thats like whiping before ya poop, it just dont make sense.......

·
Wasting money wisely
1,632 Posts
mxzrevman said:
so they can get a good workout?????????

[snapback]737761[/snapback]​
I was thinking so everyone can clearly see what you have in the back of the truck... Actually, it's probably because they have to load the sled in the back with the trailer unhooked. When it's time to hook up the trailer, it's easier to attach the trailer if the gate is up???

·
Registered
21 Posts
Skidoo04Rev said:

Help me out......
[snapback]737400[/snapback]​
I think it's to keep the tailgate looking nice. keeps it from chipping.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Well I have 97gmc, belive it or not I don't have a reese hitch and when I pull a trailer I use ur basic ball bolted to the bumper, I thought I had enough clearance too, till I dropped the tailgate and put a nice little ding in it. I run my tailgate down even when I don't have a sled in it just seems to cut thru the air better, never really checked milage with it up or down but, I do know I get 14 and thats not to good.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts