Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Polaris XLT SKS
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sledding season is right around the corner, so why don’t you share a few things about your sled

Your current sled/s and how long you’ve been riding
I’ll go first.
I started riding my own sled in the 2019/2020 season on a 2007 cat f6
I currently ride a 1997 xlt sks, and thinking about upgrading this season.
This season coming up will be my third, but I remember going sledding with my dad since I was a little kid.

Already October, not too long until the snow will start flying...

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
1972 Elan that my parents bough for us kids......I hit a tree with that one at age 7. Lol

1974 Nordics I doubled mostly on with my dad. I vividly recall how warm it was with the heat coming off the engine as I sat it front of the person driving.

1978 Everest was a big upgrade for our family after riding the Nordics that were tanks.
1978 Alloutte Super brutes, we had two of those for a short period of time.

1987, I recall my dad picking me up from school to go get his brand new Indy Trail. It was snowing lightly eneoute for the sled and we awoke the next morning completly snowed in. What a snowstorm that was.

1989 My parents bought another Indy trail and this was the first sled that I contributed money towards. I thank my parent for getting me to put some money in as this is when I started to realize the appreciation for taking care of something.

1992, parents bought a Polaris EFI, that was a great sled.

1993, with the help of my parents I upgraded one of the Indy's to a Polaris 440 liquid

1998 I purchased my first sled, Polaris XC and convinced my girlfriend at the time .....now my wife to buy her own XC600

2007, my wife and I picked up a leftover 2006 SDI and a 2007 Skidoo Blizzard.

2008 we picked up a mini Z for our son who was three. Lots of great times were spent on that mini.

2010 I sold my blizzard to buy a 2009 demo 600 etec

2012, bought a 600etec for my wife.

2014, picked up out fIrst 900 ACE

2015 bought another 900 ACE

2021, shared the expense with my sisxteen year old son on purchasing a used 850 Renegade.

We ride together as a family and get out regardless of the temperatures.
My story isn't that exciting but since you asked I gave you all of the details. Lol

·
Registered
477 Posts
Was not able to have sleds when young but grew up with a friend that had a 74 Elan and 71 Olympic and we were out all the time. This was late 80’s or so. Bumming gas money to fill up the 5 gal jug and oil to go back out.

Jump to 2000 and got a good job was able to find a nice 1995 Formula Z 583 which my good buddys brother had bought new and I fell in love with. Had it for a 3 seasons and my wife got pregnant and sold it.

Jan 2020 purchased a 2015 Renegade 1200x and love it. Cannot wait to get back on a groomed trail.

·
Registered
550 Posts
In May of 2015, we bought a house in the mountains because it had a big garage and I'm a car guy. There are tons of outdoor activity here that we love.. When we bought the house, our realtor said we have direct access to the snowmobile trails out of the backyard. We didn't care as we had never been snowmobiling....

October of 2015 rolls around and I decide to start looking into snowmobiling and what it's all about. Once I found out you can ride to restaurants and destinations I knew I would be able to convince my wife to give it a try. As it turns out, there is a skidoo dealer within walking distance of the house so I stopped in. I came out with a 2015 Renegade 900 ACE that was the owner's wife's demo, it had 1000 miles on it. After reading here for hours and hours I called him back and bought a 2016 Renegade 1200. We had a blast and I was hoooooooooked!

Then I found out my brother n law had a sled and we started going and adding people to our group who became great friends. In 2019, I sold my 2016 1200 and ordered a 2020 MXZ XRS 850. All my friends now keep their sleds in my garage and we just come up and ride out of the house.

Yesterday I bought a 2018 Yamaha Snoscoot for my 6 year old nephew who loves to drive everything. I'm planning to get him hooked early.

It looks like this is the 7th season and this is what my garage currently looks like... There is another 2018 MXZ X waiting to come out of the trailer as well as 2x spring checks on order. Going to be a fun year!

It's such a kick in the ballz that the season is so short. :( I love it so much!

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
249 Posts
Great story TTA89 !

Love to see the whole social riding situation that has developed for you and your group.

To be able to ride out of your own garage is a huge convenient deal believe me, wish that I could do that.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I grew up on a farm in Idaho and my dad and grandpa had sleds they used around the farm. They had Scorpions, a Snow Jet, Evinrude, and Rupps. Rupps were what we had the most of and when I turned 13 I got a 74 Rupp 340 and rode that for several years until it stopped working and I moved on to Atvs. Fast forward to 2004 in Alaska and a couple of friends had some old Polaris trail sleds and I thought it would be fun to get back into sledding. At the time there were two sleds I was looking at an Arctic Cat and Ski Doo. The Cat was a little newer but the place where I got my boat from sold Doo and I didnt really like the Cat Dealer so I got a 98 Ski Doo Summit 670. It was good sled and I liked it until I went on a 70 mile trail ride and that sled beat me to death. I had just gotten my wife a 05 Doo trail sled and I took it out the next day for another long trip and it rode so well and I felt so good after that I put the 98 up for sale. Once it sold I went to the dealer and got a brand new 2005 Ski Doo Summit 800 144 that I am still riding. It has undergone a bit of a change since I brought it home. 2009 I upgraded the clutch with Toms 3D clutch arms and a 130/290 spring. At 3200 miles my compression was a little low so it got some dual ring MCB pistons. In 2011 I got a 154" track off a 2011 Summit, some Ice age rails, new drivers and stretched it out to a 154. Last year I got a T-motion rear arm and modified my skid to accept it and it seemed to work out pretty good. This year I am looking at seeing if one of the new Doo pDrive clutchs might fit on it. When I look at new sleds they look so tempting but I know how to fix about anything on this sled and when I pin the throttle I had better be holding on because it goes hard. It boondocks and climbs in all the same places newer sleds do so I keep holding on to it. Since we are getting snow already I need to get it out and give it preseason check so it will be ready to ride again!!!

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
60 Posts
Started riding 7 years ago when I picked up this beauty ('99 670 Haikonen). Fell in love with every aspect of the sport, and heavily modified that thing for the ~5 years I owned it...clutching, gearing, track, seat, bars, engine, you name it. It took me all around my home area of central Ontario, and even survived a ride from Cochrane, through the Canyon to Kapuskasing and back...and it was 20 years old at the time!

Cloud Snowmobile Sky Vehicle Automotive design

Then in the spring of 2019 I finally bit the bullet and decided to upgrade to something a bit newer. The 670 was fantastic but I was getting increasingly jealous of people who could pound chop all day long and not feel it...so I went and picked up a '13 Renegade X 600.

Cloud Sky Snow Wheel Snowmobile

I am in love with this sled, and over the past two years I have it dialed. I'll be selling it this fall and I'm extremely upset to see it go...but alas, the addiction continues, and so at the end of last season, I upgraded to the "latest and greatest" ('18 MXZ XRS 850)...

Snowmobile Snow Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

...and despite only having gotten it out for one proper ride, I can definitely say it's an animal, and possibly the most fun I've ever had. I can't wait for this season!

Oh yeah, all throughout I've had a backup sled for my better half / friends / family / in case mine breaks. The 670's twin was a formula DLX, also 670. The '13 Renegade X ETEC had a '08 Renegade X SDI, and the 850 XRS has an Enduro 900 NA. Haven't ridden the Enduro yet, but curious to see how it does.

·
Registered
1997 Polaris XLT SKS
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Change of plans.

Gonna keep my xlt for one more season, just waiting to bring it in the garage. My dad might have to sell his to pay some stuff off so I might upgrade to that instead. If not I plan on buying a new one as soon as possible near or at the end of the season, then sell the xlt or trade it for a truck or Jeep.

I plan on doing the following
  • take the engine, carbs, and chaincase out and check them, clean the chaincase, maybe the carbs too.
  • fix the reverse
  • put on uni air filters
  • raise the ride height
  • get a new windshield
Edit: I am thinking about getting a beater sled or a 4x4 quad.
My dad won’t let me have 2 though, however we have an old tundra in restoration currently, so I might offer to buy it off of him and make that a secondary.

·
Registered
13,876 Posts
It's going to rain

·
That's probably sarcasm.
2016 1200 Renegade X
21,655 Posts
In March 2013 I bought my first sled, a 94 MX 470. I was 42 and we had recently moved to our new home with 67 acres 2 years prior to that. We developed some trails on the property to walk the dog and my wife wanted to x-country ski. That winter, the snow was heavy and my wife suggested I pick up an old sled to pack the trails down for her. I remind her to this day, that my obsession is her fault.

I rode the back killer for a year around the property and then decided to get a permit and explore the trails near me. I made some comfort mods to the sled (SC10, recovered the seat) and learned how to rebuild a motor. In 2015 I passed it onto my son and got me a newer model!

2004 600 SDI GSX

It was pretty beat up when I got it. I learned quickly how to replace a Nun and a front pan. This sled and I had a lot of fun and I expanded my trail distances, explored more areas. I also made some changes to this sled for looks and comfort.

I recently sold it and bought my old man sled, 2016 1200 Renegade X. Now I'm just waiting for snow.

This site has taught me a lot about sledding and the people who sled. I've met some great people here, both virtually and in person. A couple of the folks I ride with regularly I met through this site.

·
Registered
2020 Renegade 850
2,177 Posts
I have been riding since the early 80s.

Motoski Spirit 250
Nuvik 440
1986 MX
1991 Mach 1
1996 Skidoo SLS
1998 Formula III 700
2001 mxz 500
2002 mxz 700
2004 Rev 500ss
2007 Yamaha Nytro
2009 TNT 1200
2011 mxz tnt 600 ACE
2020 renegade 600 ACE

Just bought a mint 2020 renegade 850 for this season.

·
That's probably sarcasm.
2016 1200 Renegade X
21,655 Posts
My story isn't that exciting but since you asked I gave you all of the details. Lol
Are you kidding?

That’s an awesome story.

In addition to my sleds above, we got a 340 Jag for my son for $100. He was 11 at the time. He learned to ride it on our property and then inherited the MX when I got the Rev. When he turned 12 he was allowed to ride the local trails, and he’s been riding with me ever since. He bought a 05 500ss a few years back. He’s 20 now and I. university, but still finds time to ride with me.

Sent from the Island of Misfit Toys.

Reactions: 12/3

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Are you kidding?

That’s an awesome story.

Sent from the Island of Misfit Toys.
Thanks Smurfy, appreciate the comment! That’s awesome that you still ride with your son from time to time. My best rides have been either with my kids, wife or dad.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts