Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

sledder is missing.

4K views 67 replies 37 participants last post by  EastCoastWest 
#1 ·
since saturday after noon a sledder went missing, the weather was stormy and he got lost. apparently he was lagging behind the 2 other guys that were with him and he must of got disorientated and lost his way. today a search was organized and probably 200 people were out looking for him. this afternoon they found his sled, but they have still never had any luck in finding him yet.

#2 ·
mike157 said:
since saturday after noon a sledder went missing, the weather was stormy and he got lost. apparently he was lagging behind the 2 other guys that were with him and he must of got disorientated and lost his way. today a search was organized and probably 200 people were out looking for him. this afternoon they found his sled, but they have still never had any luck in finding him yet.
[snapback]735879[/snapback]​
where????

#6 ·
Not good, that happened to me and some friends about 6 weeks ago. Too much wind, snow and dark. We didn't get out until 9 pm. (started at 2 pm to to find our way back) I am definitley investing in a good GPS Hope they find him alive!

#9 ·
im a member of a bike forum and most of them guys wont give you the time of day without having a general location filled in, in a way, i think its a good idea, maybe we can make it a unwritten rule here as well, for the "just in case" like we have here...........

i think its terrible someone would post a thread like this for 1/2 the world to see and not post a location as to where this may be happening

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Probabely the guy we pulled out of the Creek West of Munising Friday.....his buddies never came looking for him and he waited over 2 hrs for them.

#18 ·
I find that GPS is a very useful tool. It is an electronic gadget that can fail due to any of a number of reasons. Killer's point is well taken. If you are using GPS to navigate back home, have a backup plan. A good Silva compass and a USGS topo map and the ability to use them can save the day.

If you want to learn more about navigating with a compass and map, get the book titled: Be Expert With Map and Compass.

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
About an hour after I read this my father called (he lives in the St. Anthony area) and asked me if I had heard about it. Details are still pretty sketchy, this is all I could find. Anyone who has ever lived in this area knows how bad it can get in a hurry, the area is right on the edge of the open atlantic ocean and huge storms can blow in without warning. A Couple years ago my father was visiting me, he left to drive home (6 hour trip). Three days later he made it home, he spent the first night at a complete strangers house when the storm hit and he could go no further. The next day it started to brighten up a little so he decided to leave. He ended up spending the next night at the St. Anthony airport (40 kms from home) when the storm got worse again. He said he was behind a plow and couldn't even see it, he knew to stop when he heard the reverse beeper of the plow. 25 foot drifts across the road are common. I pity the guy.

#23 ·
Hey guys,
The guy went missing on Saturday on the northern peninsula of Newfoundland. He and his friends were on their way back home and I'm not really sure how the story goes but something like this. His friends say they waited for him near the road and while they were sitting they seen him coming towards them across a lake so they headed home and never thought anymore about it. It was probably 3 or 4 hours later when they realized their friend didnt make it back and by this time there was zero visibility. The guy thats lost was on an old 4500 ski doo with no windshield and no headlight. Rescuers found the ski doo yesterday, all drifted in and shut off, with the guys footprints heading away. Unfortunately the footprint don't lead very far before they are snow covered as well

All I know is that the area he is lost in has hardly any trees forwind protection and there are 100 ft+ cliffs all around that dive straight into the ocean. Nonetheless, it hasn't been extremely cold so the search effort is still on today and with any luck, they will find him.

#24 ·
I thought we rode like everyone else....guess not. When we ride you are responsible for the person behind you. If you don't see his light or him you stop. That makes the person stop in front of you and so on and so on.....

We have some incidents on the trail and this always work great. It doesn't matter about the conditions.

If everyone rode like this we wouldn't have these STUPID stories. By stupid I mean avoidable.

These guys should be charged with negligence. Friends like that you sure don't need enemies.

I hope they find the guy alive.... good luck.

#26 ·
sorry about the late reply. this is in northern newfoundland , still no luck in finding the guy, but this morning a rescue dog was brought in and started searching from the area that his sled was found in.i still havent heard anything yet. it was a pretty open area with hills and some dense trees around the ponds and valleys, a really bad place to be when it is stormy, the place where his sled was found is called devils cove. the coastline in the area is all cliffs except for devils cove which is the only spot along there that you can get down by the water. apparently he went the wrong way and ended up goin back instead of out towards the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.