Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys....I just wanted to know how yous let your sleds warm up? I know you can't let a sled idle....I heard it's not good for it and that they load up real quick.....So how do yous do it? Ride slow for a while? Any help would be great....Thanks all

Koby

G

·
well i dont know if its the correct way but on all my sleds i have always let them warm up at an idle when they are cold in the morning. and i have never had a prollem with fowlin plugs during warm up. but thats just me ???

ScRaPpY

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sucks my temp gauge don't work....I think the sending unit is shot....So I can't use that to see how warmed up my sled is....

Koby

·
Tweak session time!
1,620 Posts
I let my sled warm up for about 5-10 minutes, depending upon outside temp, by letting it idle. I do not have any problems with fouling or load up. If you are having problems with your sled loading up, you may have carb or some other issue(s) causing it. If you do not let it properly warm up and get on the gas, you could be looking at a possible cold seize.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I thought it was simple... start it, let it idle till the rev's drop, meanwhile, pop the rear susp and skis, suit up and go.

Some sleds foul up IF you touch the gas during warm up. My '96 FIII was like that... my '02 mxz700's revs drop as soon as it is warm... same with my wife's Indy 500.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I let my sled idle for about 5-10 minutes and I like to take it easy for the first 10 miles or so to get the belt nice and warm before I really crack it open, it can add a lot of life to your belt.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I am with pullstart. I let it warm up at idle until RPM's drop. Or just feel the exhanger itll tell ya when its warm.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just fire 'em up and let them run until the temp guage starts to move into the "normal" range. 5 minutes is usually all it takes

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have been riding since 1969, and I start them up and let them idle for 10 minutes. Never have had fouling problem's. Then this spring, summer and fall I will continue to start my sled's EVERY 3 week's until it snow's. I let them idle 10 minutes even then. Never have had fouling problem's.

My neighbor's expect to see me scooting across the lawn 5-6 times during the summer. In the fall when I pre-season the sled's, the carb's are alway's clean with no green junk inside the the bowl's. I clean them anyway though.

Nothing like 2 stroke oil smelling up the crisp clean summer air every 3 week's year round

·
Registered
527 Posts
IDLE... was is idle??? boneidaho... i love your comments... WOW i wish i could idle my 2003 mxzx 440 lc... I start the sled on a sled stand... Burp 4000 to 5500 rpms... burping until muffler is HOT... then GO. don't even think of IDLING or the sled knows IT... if i do it any other way i foul plugs... these darn snowX sleds hate to idle when COLD... we have two of them and they are made to run HARD... joev

·
Registered
255 Posts
Idle for about 10 mins depending on outside temp. Take the firsyt couple miles easy to heat the pipe and warm belt,clutches etc.
If you ride a tripple with tripple pipes a longer take it easy (maybe 3 miles) is recommended IMO. Not enough heat in pipe equals cold scuff especially on 3X3.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I'm with boneidaho. During the off season I use a little stabil in the gas, run the sleds every few weeks until warm. I also syphon gas from the tanks for the rest of my equipment and replace it, that way I'm always putting fresh gas in. Carbs stay clean, no plug problems, no need to fog.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I forgot to mention that when I start my sled's every 3 week's year round, about 8 minutes into the warm up ( Spring, summer and fall ) I rev the engine up and down and up and down to clutch engagement for about 30 second's. Then I let them idle again for a minute or so and shut them down. Don't ask me why, but I just Doo it. Seem's to work for me. I have never fogged a sled.

Also when I saw "iasauto's" comment's, I to siphon the gas out of my sled's when I pre-season them in the fall to be sure there is fresh gas in the tank for the first ride. I put the old gas in my lawn tractor's, and car's.

joev, I'd really like to have a 440 lc race sled. But wife think's I have enough sled's already.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I let it idle at least 5 minutes like the others said. Then bounce the track to break off ice and put the back end up on a jack stand to spin the track with throttle for a few seconds before riding. If necessary, I'll grab the ski-loops and swing the skis back and forth to break any overnight ice away. That's about all you should need to do.
'02 MXZ 600

1 - 20 of 23 Posts