Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1999 MXZ 600, ZX chassis.

Tonight i was getting my wife's sled ready for a trip to Michigan, I got it started and pulled out the DESS, to my surprise the sled stayed running, i then gave it gas to see if it would sit there and go (BAH BAH BAH BAH BAH), it did not it ran like normal. when i hit the kill switch it shut off, i was then able to start it WITHOUT the tether but it would not come off idle, i plugged in the DESS and it ran fine, i pulled the tether cord out and same thing sled stayed running and ran fine, until i hit the kill switch. any clue what might be causing this?? thanks

·
Registered
13,553 Posts
Sounds like bad DESS post. In a few words, one circuit allows the sled to run. That's what I believe is sticking on yours. Other allows it to rev up. It only needs to see this circuit once, then it will keep reving up until shut down. Sounds to me that's what is going on with yours. It's not breaking the internal connection to kill the engine when the tether is removed. You could probably still run it if you have a trip planned.

·
Registered
13,553 Posts
It's an easy test. Three wires from the DESS post, the black ones should be open circuit when the tether is off and have continuity when tether is on. I suspect there's continuity all the time.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do have another DESS post i could try to hook up to it, if i dig real hard i might even have one off a 99 600, thanks for the advise, i will try it and let you know, I think im going to run it this weekend as we loaded tonight.

Ditchbanger, i know what you mean, i was surprised as he!! when the sled stayed running after i pulled the tether. I told my wife the easiest fix----just don't fall off.

·
Mr Top Whore
103,114 Posts
I do have another DESS post i could try to hook up to it, if i dig real hard i might even have one off a 99 600, thanks for the advise, i will try it and let you know, I think im going to run it this weekend as we loaded tonight.

Ditchbanger, i know what you mean, i was surprised as he!! when the sled stayed running after i pulled the tether. I told my wife the easiest fix----just don't fall off.
Lol.............don't fall off!! That's a good one lol.

·
Registered
13,553 Posts
My sled did that when I bought it. Ended up being a broken wire.Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk
This is correct! I was thinking about the circuit backwards (tired). It closes the circuit to kill the sled, open circuit makes it run. So a broken between the post and mpem wire makes more sense than a bad post. My bad!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So your still leaning at a bad DESS post?? maybe i wil bring an extra one with me, they just lug right in there is no wires that need to be sodered correct??

·
Registered
102 Posts
1999 MXZ 600, ZX chassis.

Tonight i was getting my wife's sled ready for a trip to Michigan, I got it started and pulled out the DESS, to my surprise the sled stayed running, i then gave it gas to see if it would sit there and go (BAH BAH BAH BAH BAH), it did not it ran like normal. when i hit the kill switch it shut off, i was then able to start it WITHOUT the tether but it would not come off idle, i plugged in the DESS and it ran fine, i pulled the tether cord out and same thing sled stayed running and ran fine, until i hit the kill switch. any clue what might be causing this?? thanks
Would really appreciate if someone could explain the what & why of this BAH,BAH,BAH sound. What causes it etc

·
Registered
13,553 Posts
So your still leaning at a bad DESS post?? maybe i wil bring an extra one with me, they just lug right in there is no wires that need to be sodered correct??
Could still be a bad post but as Jason said it could also be a broken wire. Pretty easy circuit to check. Yes there is a plug in for the post under the console.
Tands, when the DESS system is activated, it limits the ignition to around 3000 rpm... So it just kinda goes rah, rah, rah, rah when you give it throttle.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will look at it either tomorrow if i can or when we get back on Sunday, where would the broken wire be?? do i jsut follow from the post to the connector??

·
Registered
13,553 Posts
Yes the wiring for the post goes through one of the connectors by the oil tank and then to the mpem. The wire colours will be obvious on the rear plug on the mpem. You could test the wires from the post with a ohm meter.

·
Registered
102 Posts
"Tands, when the DESS system is activated, it limits the ignition to around 3000 rpm... So it just kinda goes rah, rah, rah, rah when you give it throttle."

Thanks Stealth & apologies Stud boy for the intrusion . By way of explanation ,I experienced this rah ,ra, rah thing when out last weekend. It happened a couple times after restarting. The backup lite was on & backup beeper , beeped faintly while this was going on. It would correct itself (thank God)& got home ok.

I started a thread about it a couple days ago, but got no response ,so burst in here when the rah rah rah thing was mentioned. Dont want to be seen as trying to steal the thread ,but grateful if I could get some advice on it as well .Begging your indulgence studboy

·
Registered
13,553 Posts
it's all relevant tands, no worries.

What you're experiencing is most likely a poor connection between the tether and the DESS post. Once you start the sled the MPEM needs to "see" the correct "chip" in the tether. It only needs to see it once, then the sled will rev up and run untill shut off again. You may need to clean the thether cap and post to ensure good connection, rubbing alcohol and a cotton swap work well. Next time it does it try wiggling the tether around on the post untill the light goes out and beeping stops.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts