Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Looking for the house lawyers to chime in here...

What's the general consensus on sled registration for folks who bought a sled in WI, but live in IL? Is it worth it to register in IL (and pay the additional difference in tax above what was paid at time of purchase in WI) if you don't plan to ride your sled in IL?

Beyond this, I know you have to have the sled registered in "a" state before slapping a MI trail pass on it, so my thought was to just register it in WI and forego EVER paying the additional IL state sales tax.

What say you?

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I always thought as a IL resident you had to pay tax to IL even if you made the purchase in another state..... but I could be mistaken? possibly...

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Topic does not need a lawyer!

Buy in WI, Register in WI, save on taxes PLUS saves on trail pass....

No brainier...IL rips people off all day every day. Give the money to Wisconsin....they appreciate it and need the money for conservation and trails....

·
Registered
470 Posts
I've got no idea how the registration works out there, but to register a sled here in Maine ya' gotta be a resident. The dreaded PFAs (People From Away) can register their sleds here too....but they pay double....and I wish it was triple for those folks from Massachusetts.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yes, you can just register in Wisconsin and skip Illinois. I just bought my new sled up in Wisconsin and paid wi taxes and registration. Nothing with Illinois. My sleds have never seen Illinois anyways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it! Thanks to all for the feedback!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts