Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was doing maint. on my fiances sled and ended up pulling the carbs a week ago. Got everything back together with new plugs and when it starts it acts/sounds like it's only running on one cylinder. Feels like a bad plug but once it's warmed up it clears up but has a slight hesitation just before engagment. Once you get on the throttle it clears right up. What's some causes for this? Only thing I did with the carbs is spray them really well with carb cleaner and clean them up. Dropped the main jets because they were easy to remove, inspected, and cleaned. I may have bumped and turned the adjusment screw on the pto side. It has the spring on it but turned way too easy. The other day when I started it I turned it in then back out then put it where I thought it was. What does this adjust? I'll post a pic of the print and it's #41. Had a buddy ride it 100+ miles this weekend and it never cleared up but he said it ran like a raped ape other than that slight bog/hesitaion. I'm pulling the carbs again tonight or tomorrow to hopefully fix it. Might try the old plugs(can't be that right?) and check the gap. Dealer said .018 and if they're wrong he's giving me some new ones. I also had to replace a missing y-pipe bolt, cleaned the Rave valves, and some other normal maint. before this slight bog. Sled is an 04 500ss.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I would predict that you have a clogged pilot jet. I have heard many people that get their pilots plugged up when cleaning their carbs. They are so small that all it takes is just a tiny sediment and it can cause an engine to run like "edit for bad language".
-Good luck

·
Registered
86 Posts
Same thing happened to me on friday.Icleaned the carbs including the pilots and she ran great on start up.Took it for a rip and the first time i stopped it was down to one cylinder but cleared up on engagement.Pulled carbs again and a plugged pilot.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ended up pulling them tonight. Only takes 5 min so what the hell. Found the reason for the bad start ups....I think and makes sense. The set screw for the choke was loose on the pto side and was not getting any choke at all and the other side was....so only running on one side until warm. Pulled the pilot jets and the mag side had less light than the pto showing. Blew them out w/ carb spray and looked good. Cleaned em up again and I'll put them in tomorrow and see what happens. What exactlly does the adjustment screw do on the PTO side? I'm assuming idle but not sure and I'm no expert in anything w/ a sled.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts