Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
ive done it if i had no tie downs, it will work, but puts it up high. ive lifted them on the tailgate till the trailer was hooked up and then dropped the gate again(only works with hitch,not ball on bumper) and tow it with the gate down and trailer hooked up

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I know it will work as i've seen many sleds this way, I just never knew why. I trailer 3 sleds all the time but always leave the tailgate down.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Don't know way they doo that. We put a rev in my buddy's short box Chevy with the tail gate down and my triton enclosed be hind it with no problems. I would think that you would be putting strain on unnecessary things. And with no strap that's rill smart.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just can't believe with the number of trucks i've seen towing this way, noone on here trailers that way. I am just baffled that I see on average 5-10 trucks sleds on a day trip up north and can't figure out why.

I think clearance issues can be ruled out.

I think damage to the tailgate from rock salt can be ruled out.

I think making it easier to hook up to your trailer can be ruled out.

I just can't figure it out.....

Anyone know anyone that trailers this way.....

·
Registered
544 Posts
I did it that way for years when I towed a 2-place covered (tip up aluminum cap) trailer and put a third in the truck up on the gate. I had 8' beds with a cross bed tool box, for a 6-1/2' effective bed. With the gate down the front of the trailer cap would interfere when turning. Maybe some trailers with a longer tongue would allow gate down. All my older sleds had proper fuel shut off valves... a full crankcase never happened but I always shut off the fuel as a precaution. On rare occasion I put two sleds in the PU bed nose in side ways with the tail end up over the side of the bed. Looked freaky but got the job done. Having the weight of a sled in the truck always made it ride smoother and have better traction in the snow, so I was glad to have it in there. I tow mostly a 4 place now with a 2500 'Burban, my two place Ravens sits a lot. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Skidoo04Rev said:
I posted over on the general discussion but still have not received a reply from someone that trailers there sleds with one in the bed of the truck hoisted up on top of the tailgate.

Anyone here do it and if so why???

Here's the thread I started that doesn't seem to be answering my question.

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=91298&st=0
[snapback]738979[/snapback]​
I don't do that mysleft because I can't stand the way it looks, but the real reason people do that is you will get stone chips in the paint on the tailgate when it it is down. Now you still get some when it is up because the stones will bounce off the trailer forward and hit the back of the truck, but it isn't as bad. With no mud flaps the salt and sand and crap on the road directly hits the top portion of the tailgate.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WOT said:
Skidoo04Rev said:
I posted over on the general discussion but still have not received a reply from someone that trailers there sleds with one in the bed of the truck hoisted up on top of the tailgate.

Anyone here do it and if so why???

Here's the thread I started that doesn't seem to be answering my question.

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=91298&st=0
[snapback]738979[/snapback]​
I don't do that mysleft because I can't stand the way it looks, but the real reason people do that is you will get stone chips in the paint on the tailgate when it it is down. Now you still get some when it is up because the stones will bounce off the trailer forward and hit the back of the truck, but it isn't as bad. With no mud flaps the salt and sand and crap on the road directly hits the top portion of the tailgate.
[snapback]740857[/snapback]​
I thought this might be the reason also. But then I see trucks that are beat up dented and rusted trailering like this. Obviously they don't care about a few chips and dings in the tailgate when the rest of the truck is banged up.

And also i've seen studded sleds sitting on tailgates, i'd think they'd cause more damage then a few pieces of rock salt???

·
Registered
66 Posts
There are a hundred different reasons. I've done it before because I didn't have a strap or parking brake and there is no way in heck it could ever go anywhere when it's up like that. I don't give a crap how it looks. I think you need more snow cause you have Doo much time on your hands.

·
Registered
677 Posts
i trailer that way, need clearance for the tonge, i don't have a receiver hitch yet . i also have a crossbed toolbox and sled sticks too far off back
of truck and i use space under sled for gas cans, oil and gear. did i mention the truck is dakota with a 6' box. plus no damage to tailgate from road crap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts