Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

Sled keeps shutting off

449 views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  blackzr900 
#1 ·
Not sure what is going on, sled started acting up last Saturday near the end of our ride. It is like someone just presses the kills switch. Had kill switch apart, seems normal.

Found a small amount of ice in one of the lines coming from the fuel pump. Ended up draining gas from the tank (only 1/4 full) and found a small amount of water droplets floating in the bottom of the gas. Put new gas in it from a different station, de-icer, same issue again but not as bad, would run for 5-10 minutes before dying. Before changing the gas it would die more often then not for no more then 1 minute.

Funny but the colder the sled is (temperature outside) the worse it is for length of time that it runs for. It is like someone hit the kill switch, no bogging now, good idle, revs, etc. The odd time it almost dies but then refires, like someone hit the kill and then pulled back on before it quit. Also it sometimes backfires (does not sound fuel related at all now) just before it quits or on restart.

The gas lines have no ice/blockage in them, put hair dryer to the pump to make sure no ice in there. Inspected the reeds, intake boots, they are all fine. Small amount of air in the one gas lines but when sled quits air line is half way between carb and the pump.

I have read that the MPEM box sometimes goes on these sleds but not sure how to test.

It it always refires first pull after it quits.

When I first started noticing the problem the sled started lossing power and I thought maybe it was seizing or something so I immediately stopped. When it restarted it was only running on one cylinder so I changed plugs thinking maybe one of the plugs fouled. Sled ran great for another 5 minutes and we stopped at a local clubhouse for about 45 minutes thought it was just a fouled plug.

After that the sled started the starting/stopping thing it quit twice in the next 5 miles or so but running good until it died each time. When it ran it worked like it normally should. Did a compression test, 95 on pto, 90 on mag. Yes a little low on compression but within 10%, sled has almost 15k on it.

Thought maybe I could swap the mpem box from my 02 800 but it doesn't have dpm and there are only 4 connections on it, 6 on the 700 module.

Anyway to test mpem to see if that is what is causing problem? Wiring looks fine from the kill switch to the harness. Put a new stator in it two winters ago, first one died because a couple of screw driver bits fell down the timing hole unknown to me until it had cut up some wires with the bits bounching around in there.

Anything else you think I should look at?

See less See more
#2 ·
Amazing what a little reading on the Internet can do. Problem solved (so far so good anyways) cross my fingers. More later after a test ride, can't believe it was this simple. Don't want to jinx myself to say it is fixed but found someone else who has same problem on a yamaha forumn of all places. Off to hockey, take the sled out tomorrow for a ride, still purring in the garage as we speak with no hicups,

thanks for looking.

Will post results in case anyone else ever runs into this problem.

#3 ·
It is amazing what the difference makes between BR9ES and B9ES. Not sure how I ended up with the odd set, won't ever find their way to the sled again. Guess the mpem module shuts itself off if it doesn't get a certain resistance through the system, thus the shut down scenario.
Anyways problem solved, runs like a top. Will probably throw a set of rings in this summer. See what all is worn, still on original set of slidders as well, only about half gone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.