Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well im kinda choked up here. Go to ride today start up the sled runs idles fine after a minute starts to bog then give it a lil gas and just sounds like its running on one cylinder and then backfires couple times then with one big backfire it dies and it does this a couple time and now wont start again. Took the carbs off and check the jets to see if they were clogged or frozen. changed plugs. still nothin fires once everyonce and a while. it is a 04 440. Some quick help would be nice because i think the hood might get an axe thru it. If it helps yesterday i filled up in the snow so maybe it got condensation in the tank but i am running iso and have been for a while. hopefully this is not a expensive fix.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
bighiter said:
well im kinda choked up here. Go to ride today start up the sled runs idles fine after a minute starts to bog then give it a lil gas and just sounds like its running on one cylinder and then backfires couple times then with one big backfire it dies and it does this a couple time and now wont start again. Took the carbs off and check the jets to see if they were clogged or frozen. changed plugs. still nothin fires once everyonce and a while. it is a 04 440. Some quick help would be nice because i think the hood might get an axe thru it. If it helps yesterday i filled up in the snow so maybe it got condensation in the tank but i am running iso and have been for a while. hopefully this is not a expensive fix.
[snapback]740175[/snapback]​
Check the reeds for chipping or cracking.

·
skidlid
603 Posts
440rider said:
bighiter said:
[snapback]740175[/snapback]​
Check the reeds for chipping or cracking.
[snapback]740400[/snapback]​
That is my guess, pull off airbox. If gas comes out the back of carb when running pull off carbs reeds are shot.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah i was hoping nobody would say reeds. where are they reads...have never had to deal with them before..are they hard to change? what symtoms tell you they are shot?

thanks alot for the help

·
Mod'n is my thing
6,288 Posts
symptons...fouls plugs fast. Idles rough. Boggy.

Easy to change...right in the boots behind the carbs. I have some if you need a set. Remove the 6 bolts that hold on the boots and you can check them closely then for chips, cracks, and missing reed petals.

Personally I'd bring the sled in a warm garage and let it sit before I tore anything down. Might just be some ice in the fuel line or carbs.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
A plugged or frozen pilot jet will do the same.....but my first guess is that the reeds are broken or seriously warped.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Tom White said:
A plugged or frozen pilot jet will do the same.....but my first guess is that the reeds are broken or seriously warped.
[snapback]740999[/snapback]​
Compression test your sled........

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i will first unthaw it then go from there..i think i flooded it pretty bad. What is the best way to unflood a sled?

thanks for all the help...also how much is a set of new reeds?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok well i had it in the shop today and i have ruled out that it was not frozen up and i took the reeds out and they are good (no chipping or c racking), checked my compression and both sides were at 80(this was a cold test) i cannot warm the sled up. that number seems low im not sure if there is a difference between a warm compression test or a cold but i dont think that if i blew the motor that both sides would still have equal compression. I can get it to start but only runs on one cylinder. It has spark. So after all of this i am starting to think it is something in the carbs because it seems like it is flooding, dirty jet maybe?

any info or past experiences would be appreciated...we just got a foot dump of snow and now i have to ride a polaris for the time being

thanks for all the help

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey man I think you should try another compression gauge it seems low i have a 2000 mxzx 440 and my comp is 125 Psi if your compression isnt up it may not run.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The 80 in both sides must be off try another guage. But i was having a simiar problem i had a hard time starting my sled and it would run on one cylinder finally i figured out i was way to rich. i now have 310's in my sled and it starts and runs awsome. What size jets do you have in it?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it has 310s in it...i was riding the day before and it was unstoppable then the next day i go to start it its warming up good and then starts missing and backfiring. I filled up in the snow the day before so i thought it was frozen and i unthawed it with no luck

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
bighiter said:
it has 310s in it...i was riding the day before and it was unstoppable then the next day i go to start it its warming up good and then starts missing and backfiring. I filled up in the snow the day before so i thought it was frozen and i unthawed it with no luck
[snapback]744709[/snapback]​
Anything lower then 120 you should start thinking about a re-ring/rebuild. Try another gauge but if its still low its time to rip her apart.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
by rering/rebuild what does that intale? new pistons and rings orr what and how mcuh will this cost in canadian funds aproximately?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
bighiter said:
by rering/rebuild what does that intale? new pistons and rings orr what and how mcuh will this cost in canadian funds aproximately?
[snapback]744760[/snapback]​
I say re-ring/rebuild because you wont know if it needs pistons until to tear into it and measure them and the cylinders. If you dont have a lot of miles on motor, more then likely it will just need rings gaskets and I would do wrist pin bearing while I was at it. Shouldnt run you more the 200.00 USD.

·
Registered
120 Posts
bighiter said:
motor has 1100 miles 200 were race miles the rest trail soo is this alot?
[snapback]745392[/snapback]​
I had 2100 on mine before it went but mine burned up one side but make sure you rebuild it right or have someone who knows the how too or you might end up spending alot more than you anticipated. I know from experiance and it was not a fun road to go down.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
bighiter said:
motor has 1100 miles 200 were race miles the rest trail soo is this alot?
[snapback]745392[/snapback]​
I wouldnt think with 1100 miles it would need pistons but do it the right way and measure everthing or take the jugs and pistons to a shop and have them checked out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts