Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A freind of mine was driving on a pond at night and hit open water in a river and wasn't going fast enough, and his sled sank into 10 feet of water. The sled was down there for 28 hours before we got it back up, and it looks like it's in pretty rough shape. What is to be done to get this thing working good again?

·
Registered
23 Posts
chasem said:
A freind of mine was driving on a pond at night and hit open water in a river and wasn't going fast enough, and his sled sank into 10 feet of water. The sled was down there for 28 hours before we got it back up, and it looks like it's in pretty rough shape. What is to be done to get this thing working good again?
[snapback]741077[/snapback]​
Remove the gas tank, empty it upside down, remove the seat, take the staples out that hold the vinyl down, pull the foam out immediately, put the foam into a large cardboard box with a dehumidifier, and run it for a couple days to suck the water out of the foam. Reinstall. I would check for drain plugs on the motor, drain the crank asap, drain the oil resevoir, new plugs, maybe dissassemble the clutches blow any water out of them. Speedo and tach are prob shot but wouldn't worry about them too much. The cdi might be bad. Pull carbs clean them. Should be fine, oh, check your light bulbs rear and front, empty water before starting, might be ok there. lube everything up real good, especially crack shaft bearings etc. Check the chain case for water, maybe change it, those are simple. Pull pipes, Tip them up and down, especiallyt the muffler. Good luck!

·
one fast 98 mach-z
1,328 Posts
Neli said:
chasem said:
[snapback]741077[/snapback]​
Remove the gas tank, empty it upside down, remove the seat, take the staples out that hold the vinyl down, pull the foam out immediately, put the foam into a large cardboard box with a dehumidifier, and run it for a couple days to suck the water out of the foam. Reinstall. I would check for drain plugs on the motor, drain the crank asap, drain the oil resevoir, new plugs, maybe dissassemble the clutches blow any water out of them. Speedo and tach are prob shot but wouldn't worry about them too much. The cdi might be bad. Pull carbs clean them. Should be fine, oh, check your light bulbs rear and front, empty water before starting, might be ok there. lube everything up real good, especially crack shaft bearings etc. Check the chain case for water, maybe change it, those are simple. Pull pipes, Tip them up and down, especiallyt the muffler. Good luck!
[snapback]741086[/snapback]​
Than sell it to the person you hate the most.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Don't call the insurance company. If they find out you were operating on a lake 9 times out of 10 they will reject the claim. Also if they do find out you were riding on a lake, you could end up getting canceled. Depends on the company.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
folgers said:
and hope TO HELL he hit the kill before it went under

its called hydraulic lock
[snapback]741472[/snapback]​
Sled went down with the engine running

·
Monosodium Glutamate
2,663 Posts
DODOO MAN said:
Did it look like this ?
[snapback]741483[/snapback]​
I get sick to my stomach just looking at that picture.

I hope you friend is OK.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
DODOO MAN said:
Did it look like this ?
[snapback]741483[/snapback]​
It looks like a big pike or musky.

People sink sleds everyday. I have seen people sink sleds in salt water and they run fine after you drain them and change the fluids.

·
Dootalk = college student's study time
4,213 Posts
FreezeFrame said:
Don't call the insurance company. If they find out you were operating on a lake 9 times out of 10 they will reject the claim. Also if they do find out you were riding on a lake, you could end up getting canceled. Depends on the company.
[snapback]741344[/snapback]​
I would have to agree. DOn't call them. Because also you can get charged for pollution of the lake. I know that it sounds far fetch but they can. That is big money to have a crew go in and test the water, do the necessary cleaning..

Side note, I know that there was a topic on this a little while ago, it might help you.

Ryan

·
Super Mega Wicked Advanced Member
2,041 Posts
FreezeFrame said:
[snapback]741344[/snapback]​
Not here mine is insured for swims.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Pull the plugs and slowly pull it over after you have done what the previous messengers has stated. If that doesn't work, put it right back where you found it. You can fish around it this summer.

I know. Not funny.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts