Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may not be the right forum for this, but you all are always helpful and kind. I am looking to put a sled engine into a go kart frame. I will be putting racekart wheels on it for street. I am in MN, so the summers rarely get hotter than 80°F. I am looking for a good 2t powerplant ideally making 75-100+HP. I am on a budget, so I would be okay with a vintage engine as long as it is powerful. Any ideas for what engine and mount fabricstion would be great! Thanks for looking, all help is very appreciated,

My Kart frame is very similar to this one, but stripped down, no wheels or motor, only steering wheel, pedals, cage, and a dune buggy seat.

·
old ski-dool
3,313 Posts
75 to 100 HP would be overkill. A 125 or 250 2stroke out of a dirt bike would be a better pick. And you would have a shifter cart.

·
Registered
15,659 Posts
57820f33e19b8d2af530cd6bf09e9d29.jpg

3e933682b8e25f7f7086f7f0483ece1c.jpg

I've tried it. Still isn't complete and I think I'm running on year 4 of the project. It is not as simple as just welding up motor mounts and throwing it on a chassis... Brakes, throttle, cooling system (fan or liquid?)... Mine is completely from nothing so I made the frame and everything. Basically if I bought a chain and put brakes on it I could probably drive it but it's one of those things that will be constantly evolving.

Go to snowmobilefanatics.com and search 'Go Kart Project' my thread is over there (pretty sure it's roughly 20 pages long) as well as some others. Mine is solid chassis and axle. One guy bought a go kart and re-use the back half as a swing arm suspension and it had some style of a-arm suspension up front. There was a guy who chimed into my thread quite a bit who races "karts" with snowmobile engines all winter. He sort of gave me plans for my frame. He runs a Polaris 700 with twin pipes... I have a 467cc liquid out of an older formula mx. Radiator from a Geo Metro (can be found cheap, brand new, on amazon), seat from Summit Racing, custom machines axle and jackshaft from a local machine shop, pod filters insead of airbox, gas tank from a snowblower or lawn mower.... There is a lot of "ingenious" engineering involved and for me there was a lot of price vs. fitment conversations. It can be as expensive as you want it to be....... And then be more expensive! There is a number of things I would have done differently.

The best advice I can give you is to follow the K.I.S.S. method! Keep It Simple Stupid!!!!!! Don't try to reinvent the wheel... And good luck!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks nice! I plan on definitely keeping it simple... Still trying to decide if I want to bother with suspension... :p

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm more so going for a track machine, so the chute will likely not be needed. I like the idea of sportsbike disc brakes, sound like a good idea?

·
Registered
635 Posts
I would maybe do a CR500 if the engines were cheap... I want it to be overkill :)
not sure about your thoughts on the Kawie, but...

you can find KX500 motors much cheaper than Hondas...and OEM parts are more readily available for the Kawie.

I know a guy in N.H. that built a KX500 shifter kart a couple years ago....and the thing is absolutely obnoxious!!....0-100mph in 5 seconds.

or just melt the tires endlessly in a parking lot.

Reactions: Ajacklee4

·
Registered
31 Posts
SCCA F500 cars... use a bombardier motor...might get some ideas... Google ing them. I've raced karts... tag and shifter. Is there actually a track near you...that would let you run?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
My friends and I tried this way back in the day. Our down fall was we had a dirt bike/Atv style chain and sprockets for the final drive and it was not robust enough...We broke chains constantly. Should have used a chain case off a sled somehow.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not sure of any nearby tracks, but I live on an unmarked blacktop road that makes a great track.... ;) I was planning on using the snowmobiles belt drive/torque converter to power the machine. Since it has a roll cage, I'll be adding a race seat belt more than likely.

·
Registered
635 Posts
ahhh....here's a quick vid he took on it's maiden run....

Reactions: Airliner9

·
Registered
242 Posts
I would find a xlt 600. You can usually find them for pretty cheap and those Polaris drivetrans were bullet proof. The sleds were tanks and handeled not the best. But motor, clutches and chaincase went forever. Also you would have plenty of power:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay, I have been looking on ebay and craigslist for motors, was thinking a 440cc or larger would be great, and a 600 is ideal.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Okay, I have been looking on ebay and craigslist for motors, was thinking a 440cc or larger would be great, and a 600 is ideal.
You would want to get the whole sled so that you can use the secondary, jackshaft and chain case. Also so that you have the carbs and pipe and you are going to pay quite a bit for a motor alone.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts