Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know off the top of their head what skidoo motors came with RER?

I have a late 70s Yamaha golf cart that runs backward. I just burned up the motor for the 4th time, and have decided to swap for a larger cc.

I think pulling a trailer and 4+ people up steep power line hills is too much for the 215cc motor for extended use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Mr Top Whore
102,999 Posts
Pretty sure any motor from 2003 and up has the bolt hole to add the RER pickups already in the case. If you can’t find a motor that already has RER.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I had a 2000 zx700 that didn’t have the rer pickup boss, and I had some ‘01 700 cases with them.What size engine are you considering? Enough power to pull some golf cart wheelies?

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
The 600 twin (non HO) got the RER pickup holes machined/tapped in 2001 models.

The 700 twin for sure had them machined/tapped in 2002, unsure about 2001.

The fan cooled 380/440's had RER by 2000.

I am into 70's 2 stroke streetbikes as well, and have messed with ignition mods a bit; getting rid of the original points ignition in favor of a magnetic pickup style. The tendency towards "running backwards" has a lot to do with ignition being advanced too far/poor fuel quality, especially if the bike was given a dainty attempt at kick starting and the timing was advanced too far. Your experience of heavy loads/long pull blow ups is probably along the same lines of ignition advanced too far and detonation I'm guessing?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 600 twin (non HO) got the RER pickup holes machined/tapped in 2001 models.
The 700 twin for sure had them machined/tapped in 2002, unsure about 2001.
The fan cooled 380/440's had RER by 2000.

I am into 70's 2 stroke streetbikes as well, and have messed with ignition mods a bit; getting rid of the original points ignition in favor of a magnetic pickup style. The tendency towards "running backwards" has a lot to do with ignition being advanced too far/poor fuel quality, especially if the bike was given a dainty attempt at kick starting and the timing was advanced too far. Your experience of heavy loads/long pull blow ups is probably along the same lines of ignition advanced too far and detonation I'm guessing?
Well, I welded a hitch on it, and pull a decent sized trailer. Sometimes I load it with over a ton of wood / stone.

Last known failure, it was lugged down hard doing a 2mph crawl up a hill. It started it chatter so hard. I ran it for a few more weeks, then took it apart. 1 piston ring was missing, and the remaining one was broken in 3 pieces. I think I get it too hot, and things get distorted.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a 2000 zx700 that didn't have the rer pickup boss, and I had some '01 700 cases with them.What size engine are you considering? Enough power to pull some golf cart wheelies?
Anything from 380-600cc.

A 440 fan with RER might be ideal. I would consider wheelie bars and having some fun... but that might be a bad idea. I almost killed someone with the 215cc without governors. We were going about 20mph blowing it sideways, and rolled the cart and both got ejected. The car landed on the guys legs. It's a miracle it didn't break his legs or kill us. On a more positive note: I did remove the windshield, so there was nothing to smash into! I went out the front!

·
Registered
253 Posts
started around 1999 with the fan cooled motors, i know the 380 in 99 had it, i believe a deluxe model

1 - 7 of 7 Posts